4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

A tale of two trucks

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 06:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Personally, I like the 4th gens. Engine just has to many quirks at this time. All of this reminds me of the hoopla in the 70's when gassers went to EGR and catylatic converters and then no carbs. The technology will improve, no doubt about it.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:27 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by John_P
---------------------------------------------
Blake,....thanks for your reply Sir!

I know you like your 6.7 and am glad that overall you have had good luck with yours! And if you or anyone else prefer them over a 5.9 truck that is great too! But, no DTR Member is going to tell me where I can post on this website as long as I am within the rules!
I think we all understand that John, but, some fellas get a little perturbed when they are told that their shiny new pride and joy is junk. I can see both sides of the story.

No harm no foul.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:35 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Blake Clark
I think we all understand that John, but, some fellas get a little perturbed when they are told that their shiny new pride and joy is junk. I can see both sides of the story.

No harm no foul.
--------------------------
I hear you Sir,....but I don't recall saying the whole truck was junk. If I did, my apologies to anyone I addressed that too!

I did say the CR Injectors were junk and I still believe that! Blake, I am sorry, but the CR Injectors SHOULD last longer than 100,000 miles!
Old 02-11-2012, 06:38 PM

--------------------------
I hear you Sir,....but I don't recall saying the whole truck was junk. If I did, my apologies to anyone I addressed that too!

I did say the CR Injectors were junk and I still believe that! Blake, I am sorry, but the CR Injectors SHOULD last longer than 100,000 miles!
Well to be honest, I think the worst thing they ever did with the newer trucks, I think 06 and up, is the Can-bus system. Who needs that crap anyway. If they didnt have all of that mess on it, for the money Im looking to spend anyway, Id try and P-Pump my new truck. That, and a good set of rods, some head work, and Id have a killer truck.

I imagine its next to impossible, short of an unlimited budget, with the way it is now.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Blake Clark
Well to be honest, I think the worst thing they ever did with the newer trucks, I think 06 and up, is the Can-bus system. Who needs that crap anyway. If they didnt have all of that mess on it, for the money Im looking to spend anyway, Id try and P-Pump my new truck. That, and a good set of rods, some head work, and Id have a killer truck.

I imagine its next to impossible, short of an unlimited budget, with the way it is now.
------------------
Yeah Blake,.... your right, the Can-Bus System is bad also!

And I agree that if you could do all that too the 6.7 it would make a great package.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:08 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I love the new truck and the comfort level is great. I have always kept my trucks stock performance wise and we bought these with that intention. My point of posting these pictures is to show that these trucks are NOT driven in the city as daily drivers, they are worked hard, one however is idled. The pictures of the intakes DIRECTLY reflects the condition of the map sensor. The first truck Map sensor was almost completely encased in carbon while the second one was extremely dirty after 7500miles of hard towing. Remember the MAP sensor is one of the things that tells the ECM how much fuel to pour in. Once this problem is fixed, you get rid of the toy hitch and put decent tires on it, man you've got a truck that gets pretty good fuel economy. Now who would ever have thought a one ton truck and good fuel economy would be in the same sentence. I hope people buying these trucks as a daily driver can be aware of what they can and can't do stock.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Busboy
Don't get me wrong, I love the new truck and the comfort level is great. I have always kept my trucks stock performance wise and we bought these with that intention. My point of posting these pictures is to show that these trucks are NOT driven in the city as daily drivers, they are worked hard, one however is idled. The pictures of the intakes DIRECTLY reflects the condition of the map sensor. The first truck Map sensor was almost completely encased in carbon while the second one was extremely dirty after 7500miles of hard towing. Remember the MAP sensor is one of the things that tells the ECM how much fuel to pour in. Once this problem is fixed, you get rid of the toy hitch and put decent tires on it, man you've got a truck that gets pretty good fuel economy. Now who would ever have thought a one ton truck and good fuel economy would be in the same sentence. I hope people buying these trucks as a daily driver can be aware of what they can and can't do stock.
--------------------------------------
Busboy:

I want to sincerely thank you for your forthright posts on the 4th Gen Dodge CTD CR 6.7 Emission Trucks,.....both good and bad!

You first thread with the picture of the heavy soot in the intake and air horn is EXACTLY what my dealer here is seeing on ALOT of trucks! Your posts have explained that very well and I for one am glad the newer DTR Members can see this BEFORE they spend $50,000.00 on one of these new 4th Gens.
I can tell you that alot of regular first time 4th gen Dodge CTD CR 6.7 Owners are NOT aware of it, and the darn salesman sure aren't telling them either!

I have talked with a few of these new owners and the first thing they say is;
"If I had known this truck would have done this, I wouldn't have bought it!"
As Blake has said,....."It is pretty sad that these trucks are like this now."
The other issue I am seeing is some of the new owners are doing the DPF Deletes like alot of our DTR Members and then experiencing engine problems.
On the 2012's the dealer finds the deletes have been done, they in turn are telling the owners; "Sorry, your warranty is voided and we will not pay for the repairs." Some of these owners have NOT been able to pay for the repairs "out of pocket" and are now in appeal with Dodge /Chrysler over the voided warranty. The bad thing is the Service Manager has told me it is going to get worse too!

Anyway,.....thanks again Busboy!
Old 02-11-2012, 11:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
------------------
Yeah Blake,.... your right, the Can-Bus System is bad also!

And I agree that if you could do all that too the 6.7 it would make a great package.
Nissan went to the Can Bus system also. Talked to a couple of my old co-workers, when it goes bad it is one heck of a pain to diagnose. Not sure what year they went to that system but it makes me think the Gubberment had a hand in that system also.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Spooler
Nissan went to the Can Bus system also. Talked to a couple of my old co-workers, when it goes bad it is one heck of a pain to diagnose. Not sure what year they went to that system but it makes me think the Gubberment had a hand in that system also.
I think 06 or 07 was the magic year. And I do believe it was government mandated. They all have Can Bus now.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi All,

First of all let me say that I was not making any sort of personal comment about you John, I don't know you aside from your posts here and I always assume that everyone is a perfect gentleman/lady. Also I know that this is quite an imperfect media to express ones self and all to often a comment innocently made in humor can offend. At times, more than a direct insult. If this was the case, please accept my most humble apologies. I recognize that you have been around these trucks for many many years and know far more about them than I do. If I knew everything there is to know I would not be here asking so many questions.

Certainly you have every right to post anything you want anytime, anywhere - that was not what I ment at all (see what I mean by imperfect media). All I was saying is that a person such as yourself with all your knowledge and diesel experience could be giving us beginners’ so much more useful help than telling us that we made a bad choice buying these. Some of us have no choice for many reasons. Each of those are as legitimate as the reasons you have for disliking the new trucks. Help us by instructing us on how to get the most from the truck - THAT is needed. THAT is being helpful to us. I know that helpful is what you want to be.

In just a few years the 3rd gen trucks will be beyond their useful service lives and most folks will have to move into whatever the makers are offering at that time (not you John, you have the skills and abilities to keep your 3rd gen running forever), whatever it is we will have to deal with it at that time. And like the deletes today, I'm sure that there will be consciences to that. I hated giving up the warranty on the drivetrain, but I also hated what all that stuff was doing to my engine and wallet. Busboys pics were the last straw for me, but they were not the reason. It's also more than simple rebellion too, at my age, all that is far behind me - it's my love of engineering and machinery. A perfectly operating machine is a beautiful thing to watch and to be around. As I looked at my buddies 3rd gen trucks, I saw a motor that in its stock form had incredible potential for long life and a motor that was strong and if worked hard, it was up to the task.

I readily admit that when I ordered my truck, I had no idea how the EPA had screwed these things up. It really did not matter though, I HAD to buy a truck that was less than 2 years old in order to have the $40,000 wheelchair conversion paid for.

So now all my efforts are to take this truck as it is, and make it into the truck I thought I was buying. The truck I wanted. Fortunately, the guys here are being very helpful in leading me in that direction. In just a couple more weeks it will be finished and I'm looking forward to a summer of fun. I hope you all have one too.

Larry (Don't call me Sir, I worked for a living)
Old 02-12-2012, 10:12 AM

Lets all be grown ups

First, I would like to ask a question in regard to this thread.

How can I, (new owner of a '11 living in CA) alter my truck to limit this carbon build up and increase my mileage all while not getting in trouble with CA air resource board and voiding my warranty? Is this possible?

My one chime in on carbon build up is a recommendation by a friend of mine that is a cummins tech. He advised to always run the exhaust brake to limit carbon buildup on the vgt component because he sees those get clogged and stuck...

Lastly,

Can we all be grown ups here and not get so off track bickering about what we can and can't say to eachother? This site is starting to read a little like Pirate4x4, where the thread posts are constipated with people getting upset and telling another to get lost, then we get more posts from the admins spanking us for it. We are all here for the same reason, our trucks.

Chad
Old 02-12-2012, 01:42 PM

Chadpatten - Keep er stock buddy. Anything much different than stock and the dealership will drop your warranty in a heart beat. It almost seems they have a bounty out for them.

To keep it clean and doing as good as possible -
1. Run the Exhaust Brake (as you've been told)
2. Advance your oil change schedule beyond the recommended periods. I have been on a 5k schedule myself and really questioned if that was often enough.
3. Change your fuel firter at 10k and drain it every month - more often if you are putting a lot of miles on.
4. Consider adding a 2mu fuel filter like the GDP Mk11 setup to the truck for better filtration.
5. At 15k change the axle lub - it really is nasty by then. I just did mine and was surprised just how foul it was. Be sure to clean out the botton of the housing, there was a lot of grit in mine.
6. Limit any long idle periods. Not only does it waste fuel, but thats when a lot of soot builds up.
7. Regular highway use. Take it out for a nice, long run, towing a load if possible and your truck will thank you for it. My truck always has ran better after we return from a long run than it did before we left.

I sure I missed a bunch, but the others will fill in the blanks for you.

Congrats on the "new to you 11" and welcome to the gang, afraid you caught us on an off day. Its really a very civilized crowd here. Welcome.

Larry
Old 02-12-2012, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Stargeezer
Hi All,

First of all let me say that I was not making any sort of personal comment about you John, I don't know you aside from your posts here and I always assume that everyone is a perfect gentleman/lady. Also I know that this is quite an imperfect media to express ones self and all to often a comment innocently made in humor can offend. At times, more than a direct insult. If this was the case, please accept my most humble apologies. I recognize that you have been around these trucks for many many years and know far more about them than I do. If I knew everything there is to know I would not be here asking so many questions.

Certainly you have every right to post anything you want anytime, anywhere - that was not what I ment at all (see what I mean by imperfect media). All I was saying is that a person such as yourself with all your knowledge and diesel experience could be giving us beginners’ so much more useful help than telling us that we made a bad choice buying these. Some of us have no choice for many reasons. Each of those are as legitimate as the reasons you have for disliking the new trucks. Help us by instructing us on how to get the most from the truck - THAT is needed. THAT is being helpful to us. I know that helpful is what you want to be.

In just a few years the 3rd gen trucks will be beyond their useful service lives and most folks will have to move into whatever the makers are offering at that time (not you John, you have the skills and abilities to keep your 3rd gen running forever), whatever it is we will have to deal with it at that time. And like the deletes today, I'm sure that there will be consciences to that. I hated giving up the warranty on the drivetrain, but I also hated what all that stuff was doing to my engine and wallet. Busboys pics were the last straw for me, but they were not the reason. It's also more than simple rebellion too, at my age, all that is far behind me - it's my love of engineering and machinery. A perfectly operating machine is a beautiful thing to watch and to be around. As I looked at my buddies 3rd gen trucks, I saw a motor that in its stock form had incredible potential for long life and a motor that was strong and if worked hard, it was up to the task.

I readily admit that when I ordered my truck, I had no idea how the EPA had screwed these things up. It really did not matter though, I HAD to buy a truck that was less than 2 years old in order to have the $40,000 wheelchair conversion paid for.

So now all my efforts are to take this truck as it is, and make it into the truck I thought I was buying. The truck I wanted. Fortunately, the guys here are being very helpful in leading me in that direction. In just a couple more weeks it will be finished and I'm looking forward to a summer of fun. I hope you all have one too.

Larry (Don't call me Sir, I worked for a living)
--------------------------------------------
Thanks for your nice reply Sir! Your points are well taken and I understand what you are saying.

You, Blake and many others here are right about these new trucks. I gotta tell you, it is darn disappointing to me as I NEVER thought the Dodge CTD Trucks would get to this point! But,....they have. And as you pointed out,
the 3rd Gen Trucks will get older every year and many will replace them with new ones,.....new ones loaded with emission laden garbage!
I won't be in that group as I will keep rebuilding or replacing my engines and make them better each time I do it. My old 1996 was bought new and it has almost 315,000 miles on it now. I plan on keeping it too. I respect you guys that are trying the new 4th Gen trucks and fighting the emissions garbage.
I also know that many members here cannot afford to replace an engine and will have to keep the truck stock. IMHO, that is a daunting task!

Anyway,.....thanks again Stargeezer and good luck with you truck!

--------
John_P
Old 02-12-2012, 03:20 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
--------------------------------------------

the 3rd Gen Trucks will get older every year and many will replace them with new ones,.....new ones loaded with emission laden garbage!
I won't be in that group as I will keep rebuilding or replacing my engines and make them better each time I do it. My old 1996 was bought new and it has almost 315,000 miles on it now. I plan on keeping it too.
--------
John_P
Thanks for the comments John, I might add I have a 40 year old 4X4 that I have owned for 34 years, you can imagine what has changed in 40 years. It now has an alternator with integrated voltage regulator, LED lights, oil bath air cleaner and even new seats but lets just say the comfort level is like a horse and cart and I don't plan on getting rid of the 2011 just yet. Keeping the older vehicles running can be a chore but it's also a hobby.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
-----------------------
Thank you ssandlin! Glad to see there is someone else that feels the same way I do about these new Dodge CTD CR 6.7 "Emissions" Engines!
You're welcome John, it's a crying shame to pay $50K or more for a truck (any truck) and have to spend money on deletes (which potentially voids the warranty) to get it to run right. I for one won't do it, but to each his own!

Quick Reply: A tale of two trucks