4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Smarty Jr Beta Review Part 2 (with deletes)

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CBrahs,

Whats your coolant temp? I average between 202 and 206 at 70 on the highway. Today for the first time empty I saw it spike to 211 for a couple seconds. Before I hook my 16,800 pound TH to the truck I want to make sure it's normal. I went ahead and did a coolant flush after the deletes since i'm paranoid about air and they hooked the machine up, similar to yours. Thanks!
Old 10-01-2011, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by cbrahs
you won't have a problem if you are easy on the truck. tow on SW2 and daily driving SW3 (thats what I am doing). not having any trans slipping and trans temps are in check when towing
That's good. Just wasn't sure what people were putting through these tranny's before having to upgrade. My '02 Ford auto held up just fine the whole time I owned it chipped, but I added a high cap pan and valve body to that, never slipped once. Any idea what power level they are basically good for in stock form?

Also, is the only difference between the Smarty SR and Jr the software, same device though? I ask because I would imagine sooner or later the SR will come out for these, and then I may want that. What do you do, just pay a smaller amount for an update to the software or buy a whole new tuner?

One last thing. With the H&S tuner you get "gauges" with the monitor. Do the electronic gauges work and is it just preference whether you get physical gauges or not, or is there a drawback to relying on the electronic ones with the H&S? Any other real world differences between the H&S and Smarty tuners? Not ever having dealt with either of these companies, because I had a Ford, I just don't really know much about either. I had physical gauges in my Ford, but the monitor is kind of neat looking too, so just wondering if there is really anything to be concerned about. Don't want to cook the motor, and I know how to watch my gauges for that.

Thanks

Spence
Old 10-01-2011, 10:22 AM

Just did the DPF and loaded the smarty ME version. guess it turns everything off itself because there wasnt an option to. i took the rubber hoses off the diff pressure sensor but doubled one back to keep dirt out of it. is this ok? also what timming numbers are ya'll running?
Old 10-01-2011, 03:27 PM

I run sw3 timing 3. It gets the best mileage with this set up, plus the most power
Old 10-03-2011, 08:37 AM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sctsnpr
CBrahs,

Whats your coolant temp? I average between 202 and 206 at 70 on the highway. Today for the first time empty I saw it spike to 211 for a couple seconds. Before I hook my 16,800 pound TH to the truck I want to make sure it's normal. I went ahead and did a coolant flush after the deletes since i'm paranoid about air and they hooked the machine up, similar to yours. Thanks!
on the freeway at 75-80 mph I rarely see over 200 now with the deletes. pulling a hill even empty it bumps to 202-206 like yours then comes right back down.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:43 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by spenceharper
That's good. Just wasn't sure what people were putting through these tranny's before having to upgrade. My '02 Ford auto held up just fine the whole time I owned it chipped, but I added a high cap pan and valve body to that, never slipped once. Any idea what power level they are basically good for in stock form?

Also, is the only difference between the Smarty SR and Jr the software, same device though? I ask because I would imagine sooner or later the SR will come out for these, and then I may want that. What do you do, just pay a smaller amount for an update to the software or buy a whole new tuner?

One last thing. With the H&S tuner you get "gauges" with the monitor. Do the electronic gauges work and is it just preference whether you get physical gauges or not, or is there a drawback to relying on the electronic ones with the H&S? Any other real world differences between the H&S and Smarty tuners? Not ever having dealt with either of these companies, because I had a Ford, I just don't really know much about either. I had physical gauges in my Ford, but the monitor is kind of neat looking too, so just wondering if there is really anything to be concerned about. Don't want to cook the motor, and I know how to watch my gauges for that.

Thanks

Spence
the JR and SR are 2 different monsters (totally different boxes). as for the H&S method of monitoring the system, I am not sure if I totally trust it as all of the gauges EXCEPT the EGT are read from the OBDII port and it is the same signal the ECM is getting and sends to your cluster and those are just glorified idiot lights. Personally I am a manual gauge person. Even if I had the H&S I would still run mechanical gauges (did that on my dmax back in 02 had edge juice w/ attitude and mechanical gauges)
Old 10-03-2011, 08:45 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by blitz_81
Just did the DPF and loaded the smarty ME version. guess it turns everything off itself because there wasnt an option to. i took the rubber hoses off the diff pressure sensor but doubled one back to keep dirt out of it. is this ok? also what timming numbers are ya'll running?
last time I tried that (doubling back the hose) it actually set a light for the DPF. Some trucks will accept it some won't. if you get a CEL then just remove the loop
Old 10-15-2011, 10:02 PM
Chapter President

made a trip to El paso today with my son for some work down there. Reset my evic in my driveway. round trip 574.3 miles. got 18.6 mpg avg on the trip. had cruise set at 80mph on I-25. had 2 construction zones going down, and 3 coming back. cruise was set entire time on freeway other than going thru a couple towns and the construction (all other places were 5mph over the posted speed)

before with just smarty "S" installed and emissions crap installed, i would have to transfer fuel about 75 miles from home. Low fuel light would be on and at the 500 mile mark and on fumes, the switches were coming on to get fuel into the bottom tank. Now the low fuel light did not come on until I got into my driveway at 574 with a remaining 70 miles on the evic. 600 mile club anyone! YAHOOOO!!!!

Good trip, had lunch with Rockcrawler304 at Rudy's BBQ. Stidwell was busy and not able to meet up (next time brother).

All in All, not too bad for a 7500lb garage door going down the road at 80 mph
Old 10-15-2011, 11:08 PM

Oh how I miss Rudy's BBQ!!!! I wish I still lived in EP.

Great numbers Chris, Congrats Bro!
Old 10-17-2011, 07:59 AM

what are you seeing around town?
Old 10-17-2011, 09:28 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by xp8103
what are you seeing around town?
15 plus. but not a nice guy on the truck with all the geeks driving. have to be pretty offensive/defensive around here
Old 10-18-2011, 09:58 AM

So, looking at the H&S and Smarty, there are obvious pluses and minuses to each. There seems to be a power discrepancy advertised though that I haven't figured out if it's correct. Smarty JR max tune advertised is 100hp and H&S is, I think, 175hp. Are they they that much different in reality?
Old 10-18-2011, 10:29 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by spenceharper
So, looking at the H&S and Smarty, there are obvious pluses and minuses to each. There seems to be a power discrepancy advertised though that I haven't figured out if it's correct. Smarty JR max tune advertised is 100hp and H&S is, I think, 175hp. Are they they that much different in reality?
smarty JR is conservative on the tunes. when the SR is released then you can compare apples to apples on H&S to Smarty (downloaders).
Old 10-25-2011, 11:21 PM
Chapter President

Just got back from a trip to Midland Tx for a job interview. left my house (reset evic, and trip meter) and drove to Midland and back. Did not have to transfer fuel until I got to Roswell NM on the return leg of the trip. 633 miles on the bottom tank with 40 miles left til empty on the EVIC. 18.1 mpg overall on the entire trip with just over 830 miles round trip. not too bad!

I40= 75 mph
285= 70 mph
texas (some places posted was 70 and 75 during the day, 60 & 65 at night)

went 5mph over all posted speeds unless i was in a metro area and kept it at the posted speed to sneak thru