4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Need Some Help With Smarty Jr. ME

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Some Help With Smarty Jr. ME

I actually posted this earlier on another thread, but was not really getting any answers. I read Blake Clark's 4th Generation delete instructions and so far have pretty much done what he had written down.

So here is what I did. I installed a cold air intake with a under air dam hood scoop. I removed all my pipes from the turbo to the muffler (which I did leave in place), Then I plugged in my Smarty and tuned the truck to one of the preset settings. The folks at Alligator Performance told me to not put Smarty in the "performance" setting because the transmission would not be able to handle it. So Smarty has a total of 5 preset settings. They are as follows, #0 standard, #X stock, #1 fuel economy, #2 towing, #3 performance. They said that any of the other settings would be safe for my truck. The settings increase in power 40, 70, 100hp according to Alligator. I initially put the truck in towing setting. The truck shook and shuddered upon acceleration, more so when the acceleration was a hard acceleration. But this also occurred periodically during moderate to light acceleration too. So I changed to the lower preset settings. Now I am basically back to where I began. The only setting my truck does not behave badly in is the standard setting (bascially STOCK with deletes.) Someone asked about the EGR, but I read that the Smarty deletes it in their ME version (which I have).
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Btw, just to clarify, the Smarty I have is an ME Junior. Thanks again!
Old 07-17-2013, 11:39 PM

My truck shutters at start and its stock. Dodge bulletin says its fine ,,,,,, put smarty in and it's the same
Old 07-18-2013, 01:05 AM

Thanks for the reply Dogdave. This is not the problem Im having, however. I realize the truck rumbles a bit on starts and stops. My 05 did this too. I am asking about the tuner and deletes I have done. When in stock mode (no deletes made), I would accelerate and the 6.7 had no guts or HP. It did not rumble, shudder or shake on acceleration no matter how heavy my foot was. So I purchased a MBRP dpf, cat, delete kit, a S&B cold air intake, and a M.A.D.S. Smarty JR tuner. I installed the tuner and cold air first. When I used the programmer, I set it to one of the preset settings. It comes with 5 total #0 Standard, #X Stock, #1 Fuel Economy, #2Towing, #3 Performance. I set it to towing. Upon harder acceleration (or climbing medium grades), my truck shuddered and shakes violently. I installed the pipes which deleted everything from the turbo to the muffler. Then I down tuned my truck to the fuel economy setting. Same violent shuddering and shaking upon harder acceleration. So for the heck of it to see what happens, I set it back to stock. The truck ran fine, of course it was now in its original setting, and throwing engine light and codes. I then set it to the standard HP setting, and no shaking and shuddering, this is basically stock with delete everything. It defeats the purpose of me having the tuner if all I get is stock or standard setting.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:43 AM

I don't have the cold air intake. But, I have the turbo back deletes with the stock muffler still installed. I also left my EGR parts on, but have unplugged it. I have been running like this for 60k miles (truck currently has about 67k miles) and have used all of the tuned settings....currently I am using performance.

The only time I have experienced something like this is after my carrier bearing was replaced (dealer told me u-joints and carrier bearing are problems with the truck). After the carrier bearing was replaced, when towing a heavy utility trailer it would shudder (felt like the drive shaft bouncing around in the carrier bearing). There was a sweet spot in the accelerator where this would happen. For example, a little more throttle and it would stop...or a little less throttle and it would stop.

The rest of the time, I have not experienced the problem you are having. I usually take it fairly easy ( don't drive like grandma blake either )...but I do get my foot into it sometimes.

I would suggest checking out the u joints and carrier bearing.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by jnovak
I don't have the cold air intake. But, I have the turbo back deletes with the stock muffler still installed. I also left my EGR parts on, but have unplugged it. I have been running like this for 60k miles (truck currently has about 67k miles) and have used all of the tuned settings....currently I am using performance.
I just got the RaceME and have it set to SW 3, Timing 2. Is that what you run on your Smarty JR?

What combination did you find yielded the best MPG?

Thanks!

-Guzzler