Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Need some help with some math here guys

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 03:24 PM
JKM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some help with some math here guys

My g/f has some math questions (problem solving) to do , and this was one of them:

wille the animal hunter got lost in the woods. he knows that 2 native tribes occupy the area- the truth tellers and the habitual liars. the truth tellers always tell the truth, the habitual liars always lie and are cannibals. at the end of the day, wille comes to a fork in the road where a native is standing. what is the one question that willie can ask the native so that he is sure to be directed to the truth tellers village

so , what do you guys think? i know you are a smart bunch, i thought of a simple answer right away , but it seemed way too easy, anyone here got any suggestions?

Thanks!

Jayme and Christa
Old 03-03-2005, 03:27 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't see any numbers. This is supposed to be a MATH problem.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:29 PM
JKM

That's what i said , but , like i put in my post , it is PROBLEM solving , which is part of math...

anyone got some suggestions?
Old 03-03-2005, 04:03 PM

Well, I sat here for five minutes trying to think of something... but I was able to shoot each theroy down myself. So now, I'll take another route... it's not math nor really a part of it... it's problem solving. Sure, there may be problem solving in math, but that doesn't mean the two are the same. Is there math involved in C.S.I.? No and that's problem soving... but is math used in the show "Numbers" to solve crimes? Yes. So like I said, it may be a part of it and work together, but it's not the same.

Of course all that was said because I was frustrated and couldn't think of what to ask. lol
Old 03-03-2005, 04:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ask him which fork a member of the other tribe would give as the answer, then take the opposite fork.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:23 PM

jfpointer, you got it. Variation of an old question. Not many people can solve it.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:31 PM

Originally posted by jfpointer
Ask him which fork a member of the other tribe would give as the answer, then take the opposite fork.
What if you were talking to one of the natives from the truth telling tribe? I think that willie needs to turn around and go back the way he came.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:37 PM
Banned

Originally posted by NeedMoPower
What if you were talking to one of the natives from the truth telling tribe? I think that willie needs to turn around and go back the way he came.
Then the native would tell you truthfully that a native from the other tribe would tell willie to take the path to the cannibals. So, you still take the other one.

If you came to a native that lies, he'd respond that the truth teller would say this path, which we know is a lie, so again, you take the other one.

And, actually, the question you have to ask is, "which path would a member of the other tribe tell me to take to avoid the cannibals?" If you don't qualify why you're asking for directions... all bets are off.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:44 PM

Originally posted by joel
Then the native would tell you truthfully that a native from the other tribe would tell willie to take the path to the cannibals. So, you still take the other one.

If you came to a native that lies, he'd respond that the truth teller would say this path, which we know is a lie, so again, you take the other one.

And, actually, the question you have to ask is, "which path would a member of the other tribe tell me to taketo avoid the cannibals?" If you don't qualify why you're asking for directions... all bets are off.
Your answer would make a better test response; the question itself was assumed in my response because it was in the riddle... But it's best not to assume anything on a test.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:07 PM
JKM

Thank you very much guys! very much appreciated!

I know it isn't really math , but it is part of her university math course , and this was one of her questions.

Thank you again!
Old 03-03-2005, 07:34 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

I think this question was played out on Yu Gi Oh a few weeks ago..
Old 03-03-2005, 07:58 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Actually it's a question in logic which is a branch of mathematics so it truly is a math problem.

I work with computers which are binary logic and math engines. Our standard answer is "It's all ones and zeros."

Edwin
Old 03-03-2005, 08:22 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally posted by edwinsmith
I work with computers which are binary logic and math engines. Our standard answer is "It's all ones and zeros."
Edwin
Our 'Net Nerds' standard answer is "The Help Desk number is.............."
Old 03-03-2005, 09:43 PM
Banned

"If I go this way, will I get eaten by cannibals?"
Old 03-03-2005, 09:52 PM

During dinner, one cannibal says to another, "Your wife makes good soup."

Quick Reply: Need some help with some math here guys