Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

I need some help with some info. (Anybody Please)

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 01:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to Dodge (Please,help me to pick out my new truck) Make sure it BIG, BAD, & BOLD

Hi Everyone,

I am looking to buy a Dodge Diesel. The problem is I have always been raised around Chevrolets and so I am not familiar with a Dodge. I much prefer the looks of a Dodge, they look much bolder then a Chevrolet. And my theory is, (Go Big and Bold or Go Home). That's my theory with my snowmobile, 4 wheeler, horse, etc. So it might as well be my theory with a truck as well. I am not very knowledgable about vehicles. And I am needing some information about what model and size of a Dodge that I need. Please contact me and then we can get into the stuff that I am needing a truck for. And we can discuss what style it is I should look at. I can not afford a brand new truck (I wish). But I would not want a truck much older then a 2000. I own a farm, and do a lot of hauling and some of them are pretty big loads. So, if anybody that is a true Dodge Nut, that lives in a climate similar to mine and knows a lot about them, please contact me. It would be greatly appreciated. We can get extremely cold in the winter -30 to -40 at times. And we can get a hell of a lot of snow. Please do not send me, abbreviations for things, as I said I am very vehicle illiterate.

Last edited by Mini_Donkeys; 04-19-2007 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Stupidity
Old 04-19-2007, 03:02 AM

Well my friend, your in the right place for dodge/cummins boys and girls.....

Since you own a farm or haul heavy equipment like I do I would get a truck with the Cummins diesel and the NV5600 transmission (6speed) These trucks (Like mine) have the high output engines.. They are bumped up a bit with the fuel pump and mine pulls like knows nothing else. Some also have the heavy duty t case too. I have 4.10 axle ratios, they are great getting a load moving and arnt to bad on the highway. Not to say that any of the other dodge cummins (with the SO engine, auto or 5 speed) will pull anything because they will without a doubt tug more down the road than a duramax or a power joke, just from what i have seen in the past. If you have any other questions let us know!!!

And..... Oh yea these truck are sweet to throw some straight exaust on and bomb the crap outta too...

Last edited by lovinCTD59; 04-19-2007 at 03:12 AM. Reason: Im a Dum-Dum
Old 04-19-2007, 10:49 AM

Thank you for all your info. It is greatly appreciated. I live way up north in B.C. and so we get so very cold weather, and lots of snow. We contacted some people from a different Dodge site, and 1 person (Tim) told me to check out this site. Thanks Tim, for all your help. Anyways, I am wanting to know how the Dodge's are when it comes time to starting them in the winter. My mother in law, has a Dakota (I think) it was well used before she bought it. And when we get our extremly cold weather -30 to -40, she has a hard time starting it. It is almost like it stumbles a little. And so I bought her a block heater for her birthday, but even with the block heater it can sometimes still stumble. I was wondering is this a Dodge thing or is it something that is possibly wrong with her truck. If anybody that has a Dodge that lives in Canada, and also experiences really cold weather like we do. Please PM me or e-mail me, or please leave some input. I would really like to here how the Dodge performs in these kind of climates.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Mini, welcome from another convert from the dark side!

You may want to consider ( if you require 2000 and newer ) a truck with warranty remaining or a new one. Unless you can do much of the maintenance yourself, you may spend more than you want on a 24V ( 1998.5-2002 ) I looked and read for several years before I bought a 1997 12V mechanical pump truck, for its simplicity and ease of repair.

So, for my opinion, if you are handy with the wrenches, get a 1994-1998.5 12 valve truck, if you aren't, consider the 2003-2006 Common rail 5.9.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:21 PM

Hi Patdaly,

Thank you for your input. Myself I am not handy when it comes to wrenching around on a vehicle. I am very handy when it comes time to building things or repairing things. Barns, fencing, etc. When it comes to my animals, farming , carpentry things, my snowmobile, etc. I know a whole lot. But, when it comes to a car or truck, I know a whole lot of nothing. Thanks again for your input, and I will definetly take all of it into consideration.