4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

I made it home after 8 months..........

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 04:40 AM
"Gomer Pyle"

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I made it home after 8 months..........

Fellow DTR members:

After an 8 month deployment to Djibouti Africa I finally made it home last night. I have not gotten sleep yet because my schedule is all jacked up but bear with me and as soon as "Mr. Sunlight" pops his head out I am going outside to take pics of my truck mods that occurred over the last 8 months.

GDP S2 Intake Manifold
GDP AIR BOSS 67 Intake Plenum/Grid Heater Delete
ARP 625 Headstuds
Raptor 150 w/ 1/2" lines
Weather Tech "Digifit" floor mats

I also have some other mods installed that will not be able to get pics of because they are internal. (Nozzles, Converter, etc) I also have new tires (33" DuraGrapplers), a Hell Bent Steel 2" leveling kit w/ steering stabilizer and sway bar drop, 1" lift blocks for the rear, and Bilstein 2" raised shocks for all fours. Hopefully I can have it installed and aligned by next week.

Anyway, thanks everyone for posting on the DTR while I was away. It definately helped me make the choices to upgrade the exact components that I did. I will also be posting previous data regarding EGT's, Boost, etc... and what tune I was running as well as the current numbers on certain H&S tunes. Obviously now with the 625's I can run the Aggressive Turbo Tuning without any worries and I will also be running this on the "HOT" setting to see how well in check my EGT's are now. Prior to getting any intake mods, on the "Wild" setting with aggressive turbo tuning my truck would immediately hit 1450+ degrees at WOT and I would have to let off. Plus it was not a good idea going over 30lbs of boost with stock head bolts. That is one thing I learned, the stock studs are actually bolts and the ARP 625's are actually studs. They stick out of the head about an inch so there should be no questions when looking at a Cummins motor that has ARP studs vice stock ones.

Also, I will put some pictures of the factory Grid Heater/Intake Plenum. Remember fellas I bought my truck brand new with about 80 miles on it. Before my truck even had 1,000 miles on it I performed the "Full Delete" removing all factory emissions equipment as well as the factory throttle valve. So with that said, my Grid Heater only had approximately 1,000 miles to face the rigors of "REGEN/EGR CONDITIONS". BUT, you will not believe how filthy this thing is.

Finally, I must say that I absolutely HATE paying someone for labor and love learning more and more about these truck. I could not work on this truck while I was in Africa so I searched for a few months on the internet trying to find a reliable Diesel Technician who was well liked, honest, and trusted. So I found a gentlemen named Tim Barber who owns TRE Diesel in Norfolk VA. I spent a few months emailing him back and forth to decide what mods to perform and heard nothing but good things about him. He also was extremely honest in his emails and helped me in every way. Therefore, several weeks ago I had my truck shipped from NC to his shop in VA where he performed all my installation ensuring that my truck was in "Tip Top" condition when I returned from Africa. Let me tell you guys something, you could not ask for a better more honest and willing person. I have nothing but GREAT things to say about him and my truck is absolutely flawless. No scratches whatsoever, no grease stains on the seats or steering wheel, etc.... Ya know, all those things we hate about nasty mechanics, well he possesses none of those qualities and I wanted to give him a public "Shot Out". Anyone on the East Coast, take it from me, Tim is great and is well worth the support. He will have my business for life.

Sorry for the long post but its 0500, I can't sleep, and wanted to get you all interested in the photos prior to posting. If you want any info or specific pics please let me know and I will get them. Hopefully I will have something up within the next few hours.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome home man, and Semper Fi.

-Kris
Old 02-13-2012, 05:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad you made it back man, enjoy it. I am anxious to see the pics you post. I have a cart full at Rollin' Smoke Diesel just waiting to pull the trigger. I to bought my truck with like 70 miles on it and hope to have it fully deleted by 1000! I learn a ton off the guys here that have paved the way on this site! Thanks for sharing...hope to see those pics soon!

Hey one question, any issues with mixing GDP with Shibby/H&S? I am primarily interested in the Intake horn, intake plenum, TV delete, grid heater relocation pieces...also the EGR Cooler delete. I was trying to go with one company, figured the parts would mesh better....I'm feeling Shibby, there stuff looks like good quality and seems to be slightly less spendy compared to GDP. Any opinions?
Old 02-13-2012, 08:40 AM

Thank you for your service Bro. and I'm so glad that we have MEN like YOU!

I've got to run, but I'll be firing a PM at you tonight. Afraid my travel sched got all messed up, but its working out.

Welcome home!
Old 02-13-2012, 05:22 PM
"Gomer Pyle"

Originally Posted by HuskerRamMan
Glad you made it back man, enjoy it. I am anxious to see the pics you post. I have a cart full at Rollin' Smoke Diesel just waiting to pull the trigger. I to bought my truck with like 70 miles on it and hope to have it fully deleted by 1000! I learn a ton off the guys here that have paved the way on this site! Thanks for sharing...hope to see those pics soon!

Hey one question, any issues with mixing GDP with Shibby/H&S? I am primarily interested in the Intake horn, intake plenum, TV delete, grid heater relocation pieces...also the EGR Cooler delete. I was trying to go with one company, figured the parts would mesh better....I'm feeling Shibby, there stuff looks like good quality and seems to be slightly less spendy compared to GDP. Any opinions?

No issues at all with mixing the Shibby Throttle Valve with the GDP Intake manifold. I would say that the majority of these companies have very good components and most of them work well. I personally like the GDP parts over anything I have seen and Richard is super honest and a great guy to deal with. I will more than likely choose his parts over most just because I always get an answer from him and have had ZERO ISSUES associated with any of his items. On the other hand, I have heard good things about Shibby. I just chose GDP because of the customer service and expertise. It is well worth it to me if I have to pay a little more for such a nice product.

TO ALL: OK, so as the day went on here is what I found out. Number (1), the wife lost my digital camera while I was away and in between washing the truck, installing the new floor mats, and trying to test the truck I had no time to go and get a new camera. Good thing is that I have nothing to do tomorrow so that will be the first thing I do so that you guys don't have to keep waiting for the pics. Second (2) using the Mini Maxx and the Aggressive Turbo Tuning I really did not have substantial results. Although with studs I can now have no worries about running 36 lbs of boost, my EGT's are still WAY WAY WAY high. If I run the programmer on "WILD" it will eventually hit greater than 1450 degrees and start to defuel. On "HOT" it does as it always has and immediately hits defuel and I even saw EGT's in excess of 1500 degrees. I was under the mythical belief that I would now be able to run the "HOT" tune but still cannot without hitting some serious EGT's. I will continue to test but quite honestly I have pretty much made the decision that without some further mods I will not be able to run the "HOT" tune. Now I even wonder why H&S even has a "HOT" tune.

Very Very soon I will be putting a Steed Speed manifold on with a new turbine. Probably going to stay VGT because I want the factory style exhaust brake.... More to follow....

The fuel pressure is much much more consistent at WOT with the Raptor 150 vice the stock lift pump.

IN SHORT: I will get this stuff up as soon as I can so please bear with me. Thanks for your patience and hit me with any questions you might have.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:53 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Hey Brian

Welcome back state side buddy. Hope the trip went well. I know Momma and the kids are glad to see ya, not to mention the truck needs a little TLC soon too.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:14 AM
"Gomer Pyle"

Here you will notice that I simply drilled two holes in the A-Pillar and mounted my Mini Maxx. You can route the wire up from below and cut the back suction cup mounting off of the supplied H&S mount. Routing the metal covered tube from the H&S mount is pretty simple and everything fits perfect. I made sure that the metal tube was braced by the factory mounting holes in the A-Pilar so that I can bend it as necessary.

Also, some have relocated the OBDII port so that it is not hanging down as far. Here is a photo of mine. I just pulled the plug out and tie wrapped it up about 3 inches. Make room for my 6'7" frame and size 14 boots. Definately helps. Maybe someone with a little more skill can show me how to make it look purty
Attached Thumbnails I made it home after 8 months..........-dscn1878.jpg   I made it home after 8 months..........-dscn1879.jpg   I made it home after 8 months..........-dscn1881.jpg  
Old 02-18-2012, 08:17 AM
"Gomer Pyle"

Here are some photos of the Raptor 150 mounted on the frame. The factory tank was dropped and all factory items were removed. The draw straw was then tapped into the tank and all QD's were routed along the factory line location. You can also see how it goes into the factor fuel filter housing.
Attached Thumbnails I made it home after 8 months..........-dscn1885.jpg   I made it home after 8 months..........-dscn1884.jpg   I made it home after 8 months..........-dscn1893.jpg   I made it home after 8 months..........-dscn1899.jpg   I made it home after 8 months..........-dscn1898.jpg  

Old 02-18-2012, 08:19 AM
"Gomer Pyle"

ARP 625 studs. HUGE DIFFERENCE IN APPEARANCE OVER STOCK.

I will post a photo of the factory bolts soon.

No more worries about seeing 36lbs of boost
Attached Thumbnails I made it home after 8 months..........-dscn1894.jpg   I made it home after 8 months..........-dscn1895.jpg  
Old 02-18-2012, 08:21 AM
"Gomer Pyle"

GDP S2 intake manifold and Air Boss 67

I kept the Shibby TV Delete in case I need to add a grid heater later.

You will notice the fuel rail spacers as well as the pre-tapped bungs for some special accessories if you find the need to add a gage, nitrous, or water meth.
Attached Thumbnails I made it home after 8 months..........-dscn1896.jpg   I made it home after 8 months..........-dscn1897.jpg   I made it home after 8 months..........-dscn1900.jpg   I made it home after 8 months..........-dscn1902.jpg   I made it home after 8 months..........-dscn1901.jpg  

Old 02-18-2012, 08:25 AM
"Gomer Pyle"

Here is the wiring for the factory grid heater line. The GDP instructions say to disconnect the line from the relay so that there is no risk of shorting that "HOT" wire. Due to the fact that I was unsure about the grid heater, I have the line simply wrapped in hose to prevent shorting.

FOR THE RECORD: I had this work done at TRE Diesel by Tim. He is the one that can take credit for that idea. I would have been the retard that removed the wire and spent hours wondering where I put it.

More pics to follow.

Gonna be posting the factory intake, grid heater, and factory bolts later today.
Attached Thumbnails I made it home after 8 months..........-dscn1903.jpg   I made it home after 8 months..........-dscn1904.jpg   I made it home after 8 months..........-dscn1905.jpg  
Old 02-18-2012, 09:57 AM

Thanks N2D! I'm just installing my mini maxx and the photo of the OBD2 box confirmed that there is a problem with the block. My power lead only goes in about 1/4-1/3 of the way, then just stops. I can't see any obstruction, but since it doesn't work from the OBD2 power eiter, there must be a greater problem. H&S is sendinng a new block so I'll be up pretty soon.

Great Work Bro! Thanks for sharing your fun with us.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:25 AM

^^^^^ I thought you had a Smarty?
Old 02-18-2012, 05:29 PM

I did, used it four days and ordered the H&S.

Opening a new thread about the change soon.

Today I did the EGR deletes - pics tonight in a new thread too.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:20 AM
"Gomer Pyle"

Here are some photos I promissed. Notice the box filled with the old factory studs. Also, the picture of the PN on the ARP Box 247-4204. They also are not the cheapest thing in the world so be prepared to cry a little when you click "Add to Cart."
Attached Thumbnails I made it home after 8 months..........-dscn1930.jpg   I made it home after 8 months..........-dscn1922.jpg   I made it home after 8 months..........-dscn1923.jpg   I made it home after 8 months..........-dscn1927.jpg  

Quick Reply: I made it home after 8 months..........