4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

2011 DPF Deletes and Programmers

Old 10-10-2010, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If anyone has the Black Maxx for a 2011 with the Overdrive I have a few questions. Does it handle the hot tune without slipping the trans or do you really need to watch the pedal? Do you still get codes or are they truly 100% code free? I am a Smarty owner for my 04 and 08 but I am very tempted to try the Black maxx w/Overdrinve because of the integrated guages and tranny software for my 2011 but I am hoping to talk to owners that use it first.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:00 AM
The Guru

It works pretty good. Lots of options for the gauges, right now I'm monitoring the map temp and fuel rail pressure, when I drive. I did a typo my max power was on wild, not hot. Hot is the big power tune. Ya its code free, I'm running the enhanced e-brake tune. It abit more aggresive and shifts down more aggreesively than the stock programmer. The H&S transmission just ups the line pressure and some of the shift points. For a stock truck, IMO, you really don't need overdrive. Once you get a built transmission, I would then get the overdrive.

H&S also has a water/methanol/NOS programs coming soon.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:25 AM

A few more questions if you dont mind. With Black Maxx is monitoring four different parameters easy to do on one screen? I would like to be able to see, boost, trans, fuel press, and EGTs all at once.

Also, I dont plan on modding the tranny just yet but even with a programmer and deletes you would not recommend Overdrive software? I plan on doing a LOT of towing, about 50% of the time and I usually have 10-20K behind me.

Thanks for the info on the water/meth I am interested in running that as well for towing.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:59 PM
The Guru

Towed my RV all summer, most of mileage is from towing. It weighs around 12k. On stock mod, max egt's was around 1200 deg's typically. If I had a killer hill, might peg the pyro. I just down shift manually and rev the truck up.

All you can run the four monitoring parameters on the side and one in the middle (what ever you want to monitor). I run verison that has the enhanced E-brake, so my egt's are abit higher. It even downshifts and ebrakes on a hard braking, without the tow/haul mode selected. When in tow/haul mode, the ebrake is more aggressive than stock.

The transmission line shifts harder and firmer up enough using the H&S standard trans tuner. Ya it would be nice to get the overdrive, but I rather spend my money elsewhere.

I'm still waiting on my airhorn to get built, and then I'll install a water/methanol system.

Nice thing about H&S tuner, is its good on fords, dodges or chevy. So if you have a fleet or buy/sell vehicles, you can reuse the programer.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:09 PM

Lots of good information on the Black Maxx, thanks I appreciate it. I have had nothing but Smarty''s before so I have a lot of questions. One last one question and I don't know if you are willing to answer this but do you see any improvement on fuel mileage? I know the Black Max website specifically states that they aren't allowed to talk about it but do you see a decent increase or decrease?
Old 10-24-2010, 06:37 PM
The Guru

Yes you pick-up 2-4mpg just by doing the delete and run black maxx. I mostly use stock mode. Some guys report even better mileage on mild setting. So far its been my truck for fuel mileage. The box will just about pay for itself in 20000miles, just in fuel mileage.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:42 AM

What about the bully dog? any comments?
Old 11-08-2010, 05:45 PM

I finally made the leap and installed my MM and 5" Pro Flow exhaust. No complains at all and I now see 24 mpg hwy, 20 mpg city/hwy combined. Will tow my RV this week since installing and can't wait. Saw 12 mpg before when towing. Very noticeable performance increase and the truck feels smoother all around.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:37 PM

alright guys the XRT pro finally came out from H&S and i got it friday. I did All the deletes on the truck and from the turbo back to muffler i straight piped. The fuel has increased into low 20's and the power off the line is amazing. The response from the throttle is crazy good... I will keep everyone up to date on any thing else but it was all worth it and worth the wait for that xrt.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:34 PM

Which tune are you using?
Old 12-06-2010, 11:14 PM

does the xrt have to stay plugged in the whole time. just got a 2011 and i want to do all the deletes asap. Thanks
Old 12-07-2010, 07:28 AM
The Guru

The XRT is just programmer, you can unplug it after the download. The only reason the blackmaxx or minimaxxi stays plugged in for the gauges to work. You can unplug them as well.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
The XRT is just programmer, you can unplug it after the download. The only reason the blackmaxx or minimaxxi stays plugged in for the gauges to work. You can unplug them as well.
Thank you Mike for the info, I was thinking about the Blackmaxx, well i actually ordered it but didnt know if the was the best way to go. Ive always been a smarty user, But i heard h&s was really good with the new 6.7s. Anyhow thanks
Old 12-07-2010, 07:51 AM
The Guru

Originally Posted by oil smell
Thank you Mike for the info, I was thinking about the Blackmaxx, well i actually ordered it but didnt know if the was the best way to go. Ive always been a smarty user, But i heard h&s was really good with the new 6.7s. Anyhow thanks
I like the H&S blackmaxx, its shift on the fly, with adjustable defuel parameters. Casey/Bentley are working on hotter tunes for the young guns. I dynoed around 400rwhp with mine on kill and 800ft*lbs. The truck is really to big/heavy to be that fast at 400rwhp, but works well towing my RV.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
I like the H&S blackmaxx, its shift on the fly, with adjustable defuel parameters. Casey/Bentley are working on hotter tunes for the young guns. I dynoed around 400rwhp with mine on kill and 800ft*lbs. The truck is really to big/heavy to be that fast at 400rwhp, but works well towing my RV.
Yeah my goal with this truck was to get better than 12.4 mpg. I did put aftermarket wheels and tires on it. Nothing huge just 18x10s with 33 nitto trail grappler mts. I would be trilled to death with 15 to 17 mpg which i believe is possible with the setup i have. Im out of the fast phase with my truck. my 06 was to fast and i was constantly chasing more pwr.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 DPF Deletes and Programmers