4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Shopping for a new 13

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shopping for a new 13

Hey guys im going to be trading my 08 in my sig off here in the near future on a new 13. Im lookin at getting a 3500 srw cew long box with the 6.7ho and the aisin with the 3.42, im was just looking for some input, do's don'ts recomendations just whatever.

Thanks!
Old 09-23-2013, 12:49 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Don't jump in just yet, the 2013 is untested in the cold and my son so far doesn't think it will get through the winter and will have to be deleted.... soooo if you don't, can't or won't delete then I would wait until spring to see the response from the current 2013 owners over the winter, besides the 2014 will have factory air bags. My kid says it uses a ton of DEF when towing hard, the exact opposite from what you would think and his oil is VERY black, just saying.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:06 PM

Thanks for the response, what about it wont make the winter?
Old 09-25-2013, 10:53 AM

The ability of the emission equipment to operate properly in the cold weather without throwing codes all the time if the truck is used as a daily driver without being deleted which would void the warranty. Also the making oil, I don't think it's as bad as the 2011/12's but it remains to be seen over the winter. I'm waiting to see if my son's will work, although I would dearly love the higher GVWR of the 2013 and the air bags of the 2014's. If you do decide to jump in have a look at the factory gooseneck and 5th wheel hitch set up BEFORE you order it, to me it's a major down fall with the truck and I think the B&W goose with their companion if you need a 5ver is the way to go.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Busboy
Don't jump in just yet, the 2013 is untested in the cold and my son so far doesn't think it will get through the winter and will have to be deleted.... soooo if you don't, can't or won't delete then I would wait until spring to see the response from the current 2013 owners over the winter, besides the 2014 will have factory air bags. My kid says it uses a ton of DEF when towing hard, the exact opposite from what you would think and his oil is VERY black, just saying.
And just how does he plan on deleting it without throwing a ton of codes??? Who's making a "delete"-able tuner for the '13?
Old 09-25-2013, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mechanos
And just how does he plan on deleting it without throwing a ton of codes??? Who's making a "delete"-able tuner for the '13?
Being that the 2013's have only been on the market a few months probably no one yet, I mean B&W only just made a gooseneck hitch for it, and last I talked with H&S about a month ago the are working on "stuff" for the 2013's... That's why I'm saying "don't jump in" the truck is unproven so far.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Being that the 2013's have only been on the market a few months probably no one yet, I mean B&W only just made a gooseneck hitch for it, and last I talked with H&S about a month ago the are working on "stuff" for the 2013's... That's why I'm saying "don't jump in" the truck is unproven so far.
With the EPA crack-down earlier this year that caused H&S and all the other manufactures to pull there "delete" tuners off the market, I can't see them even being able to develope one for the '13.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:59 PM

I had my 13 up in snow this last monday and no issues. This same motor combo has been in cab and chassis vehicles since 2011. No one has a delete tune right now and I dont think it is necessary with the fuel economy numbers people are getting. No reason to void warranty. GO buy your truck and be happy. I know I am happy. Snow is coming down the mountain right now.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:00 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
That's why I'm saying "don't jump in" the truck is unproven so far.
Well... they should've learned a lot from the C&C trucks by now as far as the DEF (and Aisin trans) goes- so that wouldn't scare me. But, there's other stuff not drivetrain related that might pop up (like your traction control issues).
Old 09-27-2013, 03:06 PM

I had my 13 up in snow this last monday and no issues. This same motor combo has been in cab and chassis vehicles since 2011. No one has a delete tune right now and I dont think it is necessary with the fuel economy numbers people are getting. No reason to void warranty. GO buy your truck and be happy. I know I am happy. Snow is coming down the mountain right now.
Good to hear you are enjoying your truck, it sure turned out nice but too much down time for the truck for my son to take on, 3 days and he was gone again. Here is his 2013 Laramie with his new wheels it now has a headache rack and rails.
[IMG][/IMG]

I just returned from a month long trip towing my 5ver, my 2011 performed flawlessly under all conditions. I did run the truck and trailer over a couple of weigh scales and because the waste tanks weren't empty I was 700lbs and 600lbs over the GVWR of 10100lbs for my truck so yesterday I built a truck online and was going to order but sensibility prevailed. My son DID buy a 2013, not the one he ordered as it seemed to be lost but because he had ordered the factory goose and after seeing it on another truck decided to pick one off the lot and install a B&W hitch, he already has a "few" miles on it and it's thrown codes so he's carrying my code reader with him. I don't operate my truck under the same conditions he does as I'm retired but in the winter I do move my truck around a lot without it ever warming up I don't want to be running to the dealer ever.

While the cab and chassis have had the Aisin for some time and the engine may be basically the same but 885 ft lbs is a lot more torque than the CC puts out so something in the engine/electronics has to be different. I also don't like the fact his used a lot more DEF while towing a trailer recently, the opposite of what I would expect, and as SOhappy points out there is the traction control issue which I can't really see being a problem for me. I love my 2011 probably the best truck I have ever owned after it's deleted but it lacks useable load and I really need a slip tank so I probably will buy a 2014
Old 09-27-2013, 06:13 PM

Traction control has been out for a while in 1/2 tons. That doesnt scare me either. The radio is prob the thing I am most nervous about. If that fails that aint cheap. THe engine in the cab and chassis is the same in the one tons. Just different tuning. Im not sure what codes he is getting, but so far so good for the truck I have. And the worse mileage you get, the more DEF you will use. I know what your saying that you wont need as much because you are keeping the DPF clean with towing, but more def is used with the more diesel you use. I am using about 2.5 gallons every 1700 miles and I am getting average of 10 mpg.