4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Required Maintenance + Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 12:12 PM
edc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Required Maintenance + Warranty

I'm not sure if this is the right forum section for this but I think the issue is specific to a generation of truck so I will try this.
I plan in the next several months to buy a 2500 with a Cummins. The motivation I have to admit is more desire to have a diesel than a real need.
I know when I finally write the check there will be the sales pitches for various levels of extended warranty etc. I have no experience with diesels in autos or trucks. I have owned several diesels in boats including Cummins -- the secret there was to keep the fuel clean and change the oil on a regular basis -- pretty simple but no emissions stuff was in the equation. My question to you experts (and I do really appreciate the experience here) is what is involved with ongoing maintenance on these new Dodge trucks with the Cummins --- is it primarily oil changes (frequency?) and fuel filter changes? Or are there maintenance needs beyond that like emission components (DPF etc.)? I typically do oil changes myself. I am trying to understand the cost of ownership of one of these vehicles. Also would appreciate comments and opinions on the value of extending the truck or powertrain warranty beyond what is provided
(5 years 100,000 miles on the powertrain I think). I expect to put only about 10K miles per year on the truck and will keep it at least 10 years so the time would likely expire for me long before the mileage (I am 67 years old so plans beyond 10 years have risk.). And last question, I am concerned about Dodge being around for more than 5 years so maybe that answers the extended warranty question --- anyone agree? I know someone will always be there to fix these things if and when they break -- although some of the wierd electronic stuff (non-Cummins engine related) could be an issue down the road. Ed
Old 01-09-2010, 10:26 PM

I have a 5.9 but watch this forum since I'm looking at the new ones.

The oil filter is like $13 for a good one from fleetguard. Oil is like $13 a gallon and it takes 3 gallons per change due every 7500 miles or earlier. My particular fuel filter is about $12 and is due every 15,000 miles but I change it early. The diffs are due every 15K and take about 7 quarts at anywhere from $8-15 per quart depending on the brand (gaskets are reusable). On my truck with the 4 speed auto which is different from the new one the fluid change is due every 30K and takes a filter and 6.5qts.

Ball joints don't seem to last very long for some people, got quoted at over $1000 for NTB to change them.

Supposidly the DPF is ok if you use the truck, ie work it hard every once in a while. Also they regen on the freeway so you can't just drive around town with it.

With 10K a year I wouldn't worry about much really.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:13 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
When the 6.7 first came out they had some issues with emissions. EGR valve, O2 sensors and turbo P2262 code turbo boost not detected (mechanical). These problem have been fixed and I am seeing very few trucks coming in with these issues. What I am seeing now is fuel contamination from external fuel tanks or buying bad fuel. These injectors are very expensive and doesn't take much water going through them to give you a problem. Check with your insurance company and make sure you will be covered if you get water contamination. Chrysler will not cover this repair if it is determined you have bad fuel. Repair bill could be $10,000 or higher, so ask your agent if you are covered for this. Also, do not change any emission parts or your air filter housing. Although this will not void warranty it may make it harder to diag your truck if check engine lite comes on.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:41 AM
edc

Originally Posted by BigIron70
What I am seeing now is fuel contamination from external fuel tanks or buying bad fuel. These injectors are very expensive and doesn't take much water going through them to give you a problem. Check with your insurance company and make sure you will be covered if you get water contamination. Chrysler will not cover this repair if it is determined you have bad fuel. Repair bill could be $10,000 or higher, so ask your agent if you are covered for this.
Thks for the info, water in fuel was always a concern on the diesels I had in boats therefore fuel filters with good water separation were used (e.g. Raycor) and monitored closely. Does the RAM come with good filters like this? If not has that been an aftermarket addition that would be useful? $10,000 is scary, and the buyer has no way of knowing if someone has water in a diesel supply tank. In the marine world, if the fuel supplier is suspicious some would filter the fuel on the way in while fueling but that is difficult when you are stopping at a gas station on the highway.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:41 PM
Cummins Guru

When one injector costs $1600 then spending $500 on a good filter system doesn't sound like too much. I do not know why these trucks have no pre filter like semi trucks. I think that one prefilter would save you money in fuel system repairs.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Racor nothing..... Get a Fleetguard FS1000. Job done. Racor are too much of a pain to keep clean.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:34 PM

You guy do know about the dual stage filters, right? The FS2 series
Mopar 68061633AA Filter and shell
Fleetguard FS43257 Filter and shell
Mopar 6806164AA Filter only
Fleetguard FS43258 Filter only
http://www.cumminsfiltration.com/pdf...MB10071-EN.pdf
Old 01-12-2010, 10:26 AM
edc

Smile Good News

Originally Posted by jkitterman
I didn't know about that but now i will look for it when I go for a test drive that should happen within the next day or so. From reading the info, i see there is a water sensor buried somewhere within the filter shell. I assume that on a 2009 or 2010 truck if the filter has enough water in it it will signal the driver (dash light or msg?) of the water in fuel condition and one can change the filter prior to water getting to the injectors--correct? I also assume that this cummins is like other diesels I have worked with where a lot of fuel is pumped through the filter to the engine (common rail ?) and what is not used (probably most of it) is returned to the tank (unlike a gas engine). Is that correct? I would assume then if this filter is large enough there is no need for an additional filter prior to the engine filter -- great news as finding a good place to add a filter would likely be difficult. Sorry again for being a truck newbie and thanks for the good info.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:32 PM

The new filter system is still pretty new so I don't know how it has tested out over the long term. If there is a visable parts sticker on the housing, you should be able to verify when you do a test drive. Even if the 2010 you pick has the older version for some reason, you could just make them change it to the newer one before you take delivery.
Most people have never seen a WIF light and it is better to just regularly drain the housing a little to check for water buildup.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jkitterman
About flippin time!!!!!! Of coarse us older trucks don't get it, but I don't anyway. Took care of that myself.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:51 PM

If you are really concerned about it put a FASS system on it. But i wouldnt be too concerned with it. if you leave it stock you will be fine
Old 01-12-2010, 09:54 PM

[QUOTE=BigIron70;2675164]When one injector costs $1600 then spending $500 on a good filter system doesn't sound like too muchQUOTE]

Where do you get your injectors from at that price?
Old 01-14-2010, 09:08 PM
Cummins Guru

[QUOTE=6speedcowboy;2676338]
Originally Posted by BigIron70
When one injector costs $1600 then spending $500 on a good filter system doesn't sound like too muchQUOTE]

Where do you get your injectors from at that price?
That is list price from dealership for 6.7L diesel injector. I would never pay that price since Cummins has the exact same injector for half the price. Chrysler doubles the price and passes it on to the consumer, you and me. The only time I ever use injectors from Chrysler is for warranty repairs. I recently replaced entire engine because it was cheaper then buying 6 injectors and CP3 pump with all the high pressure fuel lines.. New engine came complete with injectors. Some insurance company's will not cover fuel contamination on diesels. I have 2007 that has contamination in fuel system, it has been sitting in shop 2months now. Customer was denied coverage by his insurance company and he has no money to get his truck fixed. I can't understand how insurance companies work, they will cover repairs when customer mistakingly put gasolene in his truck and driving it but not covering water contamination in fuel system.