4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

O-ring issues on Fleetguard fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
O-ring issues on Fleetguard fuel filter

During my fuel filter change, I had an issue with the Fleetguard FS43255 O-ring. I placed in on the cannister and tightened the cap. The O-ring wanted to bulge out of the ring grove on the cannister. I followed the directions for proper torque. I finally just tightened until the cap felt secure and no bulge of the O-ring. Anyone else experienced this? My Truck primed and started with no leaks, so I guess I'm good. Thanks for any info. BTW, I was reading on the Cummins site that they're discontinuing the FS43255 for a "new improved filter" down to 2 micron.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:25 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Did you lube the o-ring? I've never had a problem with that, done it a dozen times (at least) over the years.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:15 PM

Yes, I did lube the O-ring. I just don't think there needs to be 23 ft lb of torque to a plastic cap. I appreciate your response. Thanks
Old 10-29-2013, 03:29 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by RocknRick
Yes, I did lube the O-ring. I just don't think there needs to be 23 ft lb of torque to a plastic cap. I appreciate your response. Thanks
I agree that 23 ft lbs is too much, I did look but couldn't find a figure for it, I just nip it up and leak check.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:58 PM

Thumbs down

Update...2 O-rings will prime and not leak The Wix O-ring was still in the Ring Groove, way in the Ring Groove. The Fleetguard O-ring fit nicely and filled the depth of the Ring Grove much better IMO. Plus its green and easy to see I Still need to learn patience after all the years I did feel for the old O-ring multiple times. I just figured the Dealer forgot to replace. Thanks for taking the time to answer my thread. 22.5 ft lbs is still wayyy too much torque for the plastic cap, even with 1 O-ring
Old 10-29-2013, 08:53 PM
Banned

When I change mine I like to use vaseline on the o-ring. It works really good as long as you get enough on it. Some of it adhere's to the lid as you spin it.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:41 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by kwhite
When I change mine I like to use vaseline on the o-ring. It works really good as long as you get enough on it. Some of it adhere's to the lid as you spin it.
Ah good ol petrolatum, I use that on just about every o ring or seal.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:19 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Look at it this way....

You'd have required MUCH more Vaseline if you'd paid the dealer to change the fuel filter.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:19 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by SOhappy
You'd have required MUCH more Vaseline if you'd paid the dealer to change the fuel filter.
Sorry but this made me laugh way harder than I should have.

One thing to consider, a spin on secondary filter, essentially making the factory filter become a prefilter.

Spin ons can be found for under 20 bucks (Im currently running CAT filters 18 bucks locally) and then the expensive factory filter service life could easily be doubled. Four fuel filter changes and you would have made up the cost of the secondary setup, and have better filtration too boot.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:17 AM
The Guru

Originally Posted by Blake Clark
Sorry but this made me laugh way harder than I should have.

One thing to consider, a spin on secondary filter, essentially making the factory filter become a prefilter.

Spin ons can be found for under 20 bucks (Im currently running CAT filters 18 bucks locally) and then the expensive factory filter service life could easily be doubled. Four fuel filter changes and you would have made up the cost of the secondary setup, and have better filtration too boot.
Hard to beat the 2um cat filter. I run it as well. I had a filter head given to me. The cat filter is cheaper and a higher quality filter than the cummins. I probably have 50000 miles on mine now and still works well. I still run the stock filter as well, with the cat filter afterwards. I even have an extra fitting for getting diesel fuel out my tank.

Usually when the oring gets bulging out of the canister, its to tight. I only change my filter when I get enough pressure drop across them. I run a fuel pressure gauge.