4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

How to force a regen

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 12:10 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Actually, it's 3,928
Old 03-06-2016, 09:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BigIron70
Our dealership is filled with cracked DPF's because people decided to drive their vehicle hoping it would fix itself WRONG!. $3000 dollars later they changed their tune. It's your vehicle and you can do what you want with it. But be forewarned if you continue to drive with active code you will be buying a DPF soon. Plugged DPF is result of too much soot being produced, Max soot loads are 4 grams in 10 minutes of driving at 1900 RPM. If over this amount your diesel is producing too much. EGR valve, turbo, injector all can cause excessive soot which will result in DPF becoming plugged up and excessive REGENS. If you have soot on your tail pipe outlet then it's already to late. The DPF is cracked.

Around the 10k mile mark I noticed soot in my tailpipe. Along with that I also noticed that I wasn't using much DEF, and my power and fuel economy were also better than usual. Now that I have around 13k miles I'm seeing more soot than ever, and have a nice deep rumble coming from exhaust. From what I've read and have been told, my DPF is indeed cracked and/or falling apart from within. I've been told instances of being able to hear the media rattling inside, and eventually getting shot out the tailpipe under WOT scenarios. The truck has NEVER thrown any codes of any sort, and it runs like a champ. I have the mindset that I'm not reporting any of this to Ram until something happens, a code is throw, power/MPG is down, or my warranty is due to expire. The way I see it, I'm slowly and surely getting a free delete that's not pissing off the PCM. I've talked to other owners that have had or are having similar things happen to their trucks and all but 1 guy are not doing anything about it. The 1 guy took it in to the dealer who then replaced the emissions crap on the exhaust and now he's seeing poor MPG, lower power, and using more DEF. To me it's a win-win for those of us that have this happening. Eventually at 100k miles when the warranty is expired I'll do full deletes on everything as I won't have to worry about Ram refusing any costly warranty work on me. I'd love to have a louder sound to my exhaust, as well as pick up some significant MPG, but I have to keep telling myself that the cost of not having a warranty isn't worth it unfortunately. As a side note, one diehard Cummins nut told me that he picked up as much as 4 MPG (hand calculated highway mileage) on summer diesel after deleting the exhaust and EGR...he was running a 5" straight pipe. That numbers seems a tad high to me, but I have no reason to disbelieve him.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7 Diesel

Thanks for the info! I just received the message: "Exhaust filter full - Power Reduced see d dealer". Will the technique you described to force a regen work to avoid me having to go to a dealer?
Old 06-15-2018, 10:41 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
This is what happens when you continue to drive when DPF will not go into a REGEN
Attached Thumbnails How to force a regen-dpf.jpg  
Old 05-04-2020, 04:55 PM

Regeneration on straight pipe exhaust

I did a turbo back exhaust replacement, egr and throttle valve delete, and added a cold air intake. I purchased a tuner from diablosport. My question is how to delete the regeneration? I can't pull the trick of flying down the highway with 500lbs in the back if there are no sensors to register it.
Old 01-07-2021, 03:21 PM

Forced Regen

Originally Posted by thegoat86
Bigiron, held my tongue long enough. Thanks for the input. glad you are a diesel mechanic. READ my post. I have NO codes. Check engine light went away after three key turns. GONE. NO ACTIVE OR PENDING codes. I have no soot on my tail pipe tip. I FORCED a REGEN by doing the things I wrote about. From plugged to no codes. I am glad you are trying to help. I would love for you to put your scan tool on my truck so you can see some of us do know what we are talking about and doing. And when we don't, we ask. Trying so hard to prove I am wrong is bordering on portraying you as a

This is advice only. Not orders, misleading, the end all right way, or anything else. I am sharing my experience. That is what the forum is for. Sharing and trying to help where possible. And if I help one person, jobs done. I wish I would have read a post like this when I was in need.

Your degree in diesel mechanics or years in trade does not negate our intelligence. I appreciate your input. If I was keeping my dpf I might, say again might, have had a garage run my codes with their tech tool. But I am not keeping anything.

This was meant to be (advice) not gospel, for someone who threw a code and their truck went into limp mode or reduced power mode. So they could regain the full use of their vehicle until they chose to, or chose not to make a dealership visit. (their truck, their choice)
My truck is not in limp mode. How can I force a Regen without to nursing tools and so forth is there a way
Whether you agree with me or not, my findings are accurate and true. My truck runs like it did a few months ago. There had been a gradual loss of power over the last few months. Now it runs like it did when it was new.

All that said and done.

I will report on my budget deletes and fuel savings power gains ect. I will also time how long it takes a novice to install all the parts. This is definitely not my 98 12v. On Saturday I pulled my 16K toy hauler, with 10mgp at 55mph. 5th gear, rpms around 1900-2000. I am hoping to see a little increase in MPG and power. I am also going to shop for an EGT gauge so I can keep an eye on things. I am saving more money for the CTS monitor.

1-2-3, There is only a notice that pops up in the info center on your dash to let you know regen is happening. If it starts saying the exhaust filter is 70% or more, then I would do the process I did before it gets plugged. It doesn't take long for them to fill.
2012 2012 ram
Old 01-07-2021, 03:23 PM

Forced Regen. 2012 ram 2500 6.7 Cummins turbo diesel

My truck is not in limp mode but the power has decreased how can I force a regen if it's not in limp mode and I don't have a tuner and all that sort of thing is there a way