3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Breakdown! Please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Breakdown! Please help!!

Went to start my truck up yesterday during my lunch break and all was normal. The truck started fine and seemed to idle normally. I got in and went to drive off and couldn't get above 10-15 mph. If I tried to rev it above 2500 it would die completely. Attempted again with same results so I returned to my parking spot and called for a tow. I can say that the day before it gave me the notice that my DPF was full and I thought "Great, Ive got a long drive into work at highway speeds so, it will certainly regen on my way in." It never did regen and then next time I got in the truck this happened. The dealership can't look at it until Monday and these idiots have already told me that they think "it could cost thousands and thousands of dollars and several weeks to fix the problem." They hadn't even looked at it yet! They talked about how I may possibly need to take off the injectors and have them sent in for cleaning, may need a new turbo and a new DPF. I just really feel like the dealer is out to get me for every penny and it really doesn't help that the guy at the service desk tried telling me that my truck doesn't have a cummins in it because Cummins never made a 6.7L. Needless to say I had it towed to a local diesel specialty shop and their first suggestion was to let them do a full delete, but it will cost $3,300.

Any ideas on what is going on? Ive read a lot about the deletes and it seems to be everyones favorite option. Is $3,300 the right price? (He mentioned something about having to tune the intake and tune the transmission in order to do the delete correctly)
Old 01-25-2014, 07:58 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Fill out your signature so we know what vehicle you have. You need to find out what codes are set, then we can direct you to what needs to be done. Otherwise they are correct if turbo and DPF need to be replaced, but turbo test for a p2262 code will confirm if turbo needs replacing or just cleaning. P1451 code could mean just a stationery Regen may be required and possible flash update if needed. But you need codes and soot load of DPF. If over 75 grams then the DPF will need to be replaced.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:49 PM

My bad! I guess it would help if I told you what we were working with. As far as the engine codes go, the truck is at the shop so I can't go out and hook up to the OBDII and give you the exact codes right now. I can remember (bear with me it might not be exact wording) Turbocharger boost sensor range performance circuit A, comes and goes frequently.

Sorry if that wasn't much help. I know very little compared to most on these forums and Im really not up to speed on what all of these emissions components are meant for. Im learning more every day but this has really thrown me for a loop and any help is much appreciated.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:48 PM

**UPDATE**

Mechanic says that the dpf needs to be replaced. Truck has 130K highway miles on it and this is the second time its needed to be replaced. I told him to change out the fuel filter for me and force regen it. Im going to buy the delete kit and tuner and delete myself. Any objections?