What's behind lower dash cubby? - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

What's behind lower dash cubby?

Old 04-18-2005, 11:20 AM   #1  

What's behind lower dash cubby?

I don't have the flip-out cup holders next to the ash tray, but instead have the cubby hole that is not a ton of use due to it's odd shape (deep vertically but not real deep horizontally). Anyhow, has anyone removed the cubby/facia and seen what is behind there? Is there something directly behind it that would preclude a hole being cut through the back of it to allow proper mounting depth for a CB radio?
tobyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 11:53 AM   #2  

Dont know what is behind it, but I cut a 1" hole in the bottom corner to pull wires through, to allow for a switch panel to be mounted there. Used a paddle bit, worked quite well
Truckjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 12:23 PM   #3  

I was thinking of eactly the same thing on my 2nd Gen, in fact I was going to post that question today.

I'm going to see if my Haines manual shows anything about that setup.
tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 02:46 PM   #4  

a bunch of plastic... i'd say not enough room for a full-size CB. a compact one might work. i just barely squeezed the connector box for my mini cobra 75 behind the lower plastic trim piece.

here's a really bad pic of my cobra 75, the CB is in the handset. it's the way to go if you want to save space.

hovisimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 07:07 PM   #5  

I don't think you will have enough room but the cubby hole is easy enough to remove to see for yourself. Undo the single screw where the trash bag hook is, remove your ashtray and the rest of the center console panel is secured with clips so just start carefully pulling. the whole cnter section with heater controls, air vents and cubby hole will come out as one piece. I mounted my Prodigy brake controller in the cubby hole and there was more then enough room to run the wires but a cb radio will depend on how much room you need behind it.
CRXsi is offline   Reply With Quote