Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Geno's cubby hole in-dash gauge plate

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 08:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Geno's cubby hole in-dash gauge plate

I ordered an Isspro tranny temp gauge to go with my tranny rebuild to keep tabs on my investment. Geno's will include one of their in-dash gauge plates free of charge with the purchase of any gauge so I had them toss one in the box. Well, it looks like I got what I paid for. First off, the gauge I ordered is a 2" gauge and the plate they sent me only has a 1.75" hole in it. No big deal... I'll just enlarge the hole to fit the new gauge. Then I popped the dash bezel off the truck and removed the cubby hole thingy to do a test fit. The gauge plate doesn't even come anywhere close to lining up with the mounting holes. If I put a screw in one of the holes, the other two are about .5" to .75" from lining up. The other thing I noticed is that where the bezel meets the cubby hole, it is a compound curve and the dash plate is flat, so it leaves a big old ugly gap along that side where the compound curve is.

Needless to say, I was less than impressed with in-dash gauge plate and will either have to fab my own (if I can figure out how to address the problem with the compound curve), or abandon the idea of mounting a guage in the cubby hole and figure out some other place mount the gauge (steering column pod, bullet pod on the dash, etc. etc.).
Old 03-10-2006, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plastic, heated correctly, will bend into any shape. Find something about 1/8th" thick, black is probably most common. Depending on where you live there may be a plastics dist. or maker.
Some of the glues actually melt the pieces together if you have to do something in sections... but has to be the right glue for that particular type of plastic.
Hope that helps.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:52 AM

Yea I got the same mount for my fuel pressure gauge, and like you said it took some major modifications to get it to work, its a good idea,IF IT ACTUALLY WORKED LIKE ITS SUPPOST TO lol

Bryan
Old 03-11-2006, 06:33 AM
apc

I got one for a 2002 3500 and it fit with no problems. Maybe they changed vendors? I have 2 inch gauges and i recall just a lite file to adjust that fit but it was not way off. Fits fills hole nicely no gaps. Dont remember any screw hole line up problems. Call Geno's they have allways been great maybe defective batch I bet they would send another No Charge if You asked.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:19 AM

most stereo shop will carry the black ABS plastic usually 1/8 inch thick and textured.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:47 PM

I also got the Genos indash guage, a lite file to trim the guage hole bigger. Everything else lined up great.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:18 PM

That really should be the first thing to do, call the vendor and talk to them about your problem, before posting a complaint. Most of these vendors will work with you to make it right.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:32 PM
Banned

We can get you the correct cubby hole mount if you need. We have them in stock and have had absolutely no problems with customers installations. Please contact me if I can be of any help!
Old 03-12-2006, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Racer9
That really should be the first thing to do, call the vendor and talk to them about your problem, before posting a complaint. Most of these vendors will work with you to make it right.

Mechanos also you can space the plate out with little washers and you
will have no gap between Dash and plate.
Old 03-12-2006, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Olratlr
Mechanos also you can space the plate out with little washers and you
will have no gap between Dash and plate.
Washers, spacers, what have you....are not going to help with the gap. On my dash (don't know if mine is different than yours) where the dash bezel meets the actual cubby hole storage box is not a flat surface, it's a compound curve. There is NO way that a flat piece of anything is going to meet a curved surface without leaving a gap.... I don't care what kind of washer or spacer you put behind it.

I'm not really complaining about the mount.... more of an FYI really. I don't know if there was a change to dash at some point in the production of the 2nd gens, but it's obvious that this mount was never intended to fit my truck's dash. Now that I realize that a flat piece isn't going to cut it, there is nothing to rectify with vendor in my opinion. I didn't pay anything for it and even if they were to provide me with one that did match my dash mounting points, it's still going to have that gap unless the piece is molded to fit. I'm simply going to abandon the cubby hole mount and pursue a different method.
Old 03-12-2006, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by HP Upgrades
We can get you the correct cubby hole mount if you need. We have them in stock and have had absolutely no problems with customers installations. Please contact me if I can be of any help!
Are your cubby hole mounting plates made out of flat stock? If so, then it aint gonna cut it.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:57 PM

Great, I just ordered a FP guage and cubby mount from Geno's. Hope it fits