3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

What the heck was that?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What the heck was that?

i have an 06 2500 4x4 auto with the cummins. its the ST model. bare bones on frills. so the wife and i went to dinner last night and when done went to get into the truck. i unlocked the wifes side first and let her in, then she reached across and unlocked my door. i got in, inserted the key, and started the engine. as soon as i did that, the horn goes off and wont stop. i mean it was continuous and embarassing. i cycled the key several times and it finally stopped, but the interior lights stayed on, the door ajar light stayed on, and the cargo light stayed on. afgter it set for a while the lights finally went off. The used dealership i bought the truck from was no help. do yall have any ideas?
Old 05-09-2011, 11:30 AM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Auto tranny? fill out your sig so we know more.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:42 AM

Its an auto
Old 05-09-2011, 03:37 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I vaguely recall something about the key needs to be used to unlock the driver door or it won't sync up with the anti-theft control if you don't have the key fob. I could easily be wrong and thinking of a different vehicle, but for some reason that is rattlin' around in my brain.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah sounds like you tripped the alarm.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:38 PM

When you truck does this, just get out and unlock the drivers door with your key, should stop. Many key cycles will stop it, but then you get all those other things you mentioned.

Basically, the truck for whatever reason is single minded, it thinks the drivers door should always be the first point of entry . . sometimes it will tollerate unlocking the pass door first, sometimes not.

You will also encounter this problem if you are in reverse and someone opens another door, otherthan/besides the drivers door, before you shift into park or neutral (in the case of a stick). The difference with this stuff is that the horn will not start honking, nor all the lights flashing UNTIL you actually shut the truck down and open a door, then the alarm will go nuts, close the door, alarm stops.

In either case, just unlock the drivers door with your key, it will cycle the system and turn it all off.

The backup alarm/warning mess is a whole different game, it goes off when the drivers door is opened when you are in reverse.

CD
Old 05-10-2011, 12:04 AM

But he has a ST model, no key fob to arm/unarm the truck. Unless you have added your own security system?

I do what the OP has posted all the time, no issues every arise because on a ST model, the truck has no idea where you are getting in from. Everything is manual, correct?
Old 05-10-2011, 12:33 AM

Well, you are right about the ST model, but some DO get the factory alarm installed, and I think the beepin backup alarm stuff is still on the STs, which gets all screwed up sometimes and does the beepin stuff for no good reason, the drivers door lock somehow is still tied into the electronics. My neighbor has an ST model and his beepin stuff happens now and then. I really do not know for sure about all of how this stuff is tied in . . .

CD
Old 05-10-2011, 12:45 AM

I see. We just have to find out if the OP's truck has a factory alarm or not?

I bet it started going bananas because he shut his drivers door after entering and set off the alarm, not because it was unlocked from the inside. The locks on a ST are manual, if the alarm was armed using a key fob the locks could be in any position, the truck would never know.

They must only have the ST tied in electrically with the optional alarm installed. I've had my door panels off many times and believe me, their are no wires running in there except for the speakers.