3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Trading 5.9 for 6.7?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trading 5.9 for 6.7?

Hey there i have a 2007 5.9 quad cab 6 speed. I have been thinking of getting a truck with a auto, after having 2 other trucks with autos i think i want to switch back. I would want to get a Mega cab this time, and been looking at the 6.7 with the 6 speed auto. What do you guys think i should do? Thanks any ideas would be great.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Personaly i have heard nothing but problems with the 6.7 and with my experience at my local dealer i would wait for the little bumps to settle out in the 6.7 maybe a year or two before i would buy one just to avoid the hassle of trying to get any work out of the dealer here. Not saying its gonna be a bda truck i test drove one and loved it the exhaust brake is a nice feature but like anything that new its going to have issues. I also don't like driving a truck with limited aftermarket goodies, i had that problem buying my 07 early alot of things that fit the 06 would work, but there wasn't much out for the new body style yet. thats just my opinion though, good luck.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:49 PM

Yeah the only reason i want to trade it in now is because i have 14,000 miles on it now. Got the truck last december, and dont want to put to many more miles on before i trade it in. I went to the dealer to see what they would give me, they looked it over and said 28,000 haha.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:56 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I went and drove a 6.7 also. The only reason I'm thinking of a different truck is that I should have gotten a dually.

That 68RFE auto and factory exhaust brake is sure sweet. It seems like they finally have an auto worthy of the motor.

The main thing that scares me, though, is the fuel milage people have been reporting.

Any way you slice it, the miles you have on that 07 5.9 are going to be expensive ones if you sell it or trade it so new...

Personally, I've been cruising classifieds for a good 5.9 stick laramie dually, but they sell fast...
Old 09-30-2007, 08:02 PM

You could just buy mine then i will get the 6.7 mine is a dually.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:30 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
It's a stick Laramie dually quad cab 4x4?
Old 10-01-2007, 10:12 AM

I have been contemplating the same thing, trading my 04.5 for an 08 with the 6.7l and 6 speed auto. I test drove one the other night and was super impressed with it. I look at the fuel mileage this way: it was crappy on my 5.9L until I got more miles on the truck. At 74k I am squeezing out over 500 miles per tank compared to 400 or so when it was new. The more miles, the better it does. Some say if you work the truck hard, it breaks in faster and fuel mileage goes up. I will probably wind up buying one soon just to have the warranty again.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
have any of you guys looked under the hood of the 6.7 trucks? you cant even see the motor anymore for all the smog crap. thats why the poor mileage. the mileage will never get near as good as the 5.9 because the new motors are so smogged down. also you are going to have to be a brain surgeon to work on one.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:45 AM

Ditto on the 6.7 probloms thats all I have hear about,and the crappy MPG.

Everyone is having the same probloms Chevy,Ford ect ect,it's the emiss regs that are messing them all up from what I have read about,it almost seems that the darn tree huggers in our goverment are making the laws so tight that there trying to make it so unless you own a hybred it won't run very good and get poor MPG's.

I mean what do they care is let's say chevy and ford drop there diesels and cut 10,000 jobs becuse of that? The huggers will just pat themselfs on the back and say good job! We got rid of the nast smelly diesels now on to the guns!

Pav
Old 10-01-2007, 02:35 PM

After spending a fair amount of time with a new 6.7, I don't think you could pay me to buy one now. Maybe in a few years but definately not now.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:05 AM

Can the emission stuff on the new trucks be bypassed or removed? On many of the late model cars you can get rid of the cats, egr, etc and with addition of some electronics no codes get thrown. It seems, that if emissions are not checked in your area you would be able to take these things off to make the truck easier to work on. I am thinking mainly of those who plan to hotrod their trucks.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:49 AM

I belive most of the emission stuff on the new engines is in the design,give them a few years to work out the bugs.

Pav
Old 10-02-2007, 10:48 AM

I had a 6.7 for a few months. Between 11 mpg in town and 8 pulling my massive 4000 pound trailer and weekly visits to the dealer, i traded for one of the last 5.9s they had. Very early on i got around 13mpg and loved the new 68re and exhaust brake but it just went down hill from there. Code after code and the truck not starting and having poor power i traded for the old tried and true. Now i get 17 in town and 20 + on the highway and have more power than i know what to do with. Yeah i am happy.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:45 PM

I suggest you read the thread on the 6.7 Engine page called "New Poll". The poll has inputs from over 100 6.7 owners and tracks all reported problems. What you will see is, a lot of 6.7 owners had an initial problem with various types of CEL codes. A new SW flash fixed all of those issues. A very few had problems with DPF filter HW or turbos. Most of the DPF and Turbo problems were also fixed with a SW flash, some were actually HW problems and were replaced.

What you also see is, virtually every truck, once having their initial problem fixed, has been trouble free since. Of course, there are always going to be a few lemons with any brand that have ongoing issues.

My advice to you is this: If you are happy with the performance of a 5.9 (power, fuel mileage, 4 spd auto) and you plan on keeping it for a really long time, then buy the 5.9 if you can find one. They are giving really good discounts to make room for the new trucks.

If you want a truck that has more power stock, has a better transmission, but will probably get slightly less fuel mileage once broken in (larger Cu. in.) get a 6.7.

Other factors to consider:Currently, there are very few aftermarket performance upgrades for the 6.7. There will probably be more eventually, but it's going to be a lot harder for the aftermarket guys to mod these trucks without throwing codes on the emmissions systems. If you want a lot of performance mods right away, get a 5.9.

The trade-in value for 5.9's is going to decline. In spite of the justified loyalty of the 5.9 owners, technically, they are considered "old" technology now. Right now they're still popular but that will fade quickly as the 6.7 proves it's reliability.

Finally, at some point in time, if they aren't already doing it many States may enact either emissions testing legislation or charging fees for higher pollution vehicles. If that happens (big IF) then the 6.7 is going to pass the tests or result in lower fees because of it's improved emissions performance.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:03 PM

If I had the money, i'd sell the 04' for a 08' 6.7/g56 mega cab dually in a heart beat. My 04' with the 22.5's only gets 14-16 mpgs. The way I look at it is if its got power, weighs 8000+ lbs. and get 12+mpgs its good. My chevy 3500 work truck w/350 gasser gets 7.5 mpgs empty and has no power.

Quick Reply: Trading 5.9 for 6.7?