3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Towing with a Smary Jr.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 08:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Towing with a Smary Jr.

I did a "long" distance pull this afternoon. The first with this truck. I tow a light/medium weight enclosed car trailer, with a light weight track car. Along with the stuff in the bed, probably about 5K# - give or take. Last year I used a '01 Dodge Dakota QuadCab, 5.9l gas, 4x4, auto.

Last week I installed a Smarty Jr. https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=240318

For today, it's set at SW2, TM2, TQ2, PoD100.

The drive up here (to Byers from Colorado Springs) was in poor weather; rain, snow, and fog. Speeds averaged 60-65. Some hills, but nothing big. I have a cold weather cover on the radiator, all the flaps are closed.

Coolant temp stayed around 195* or so all day.

On some of the hills, EGT rose to about 1250* and stayed there until the hill was crested. On level ground it generally stayed around 900-1000*. Should it be that high? I think it should be lower. What's going to happen when ambient air temp is around 100*?

The truck pulled this load without any problems at all. Even though the ram weighs about twice what a Dakota weighs. Plenty of power. Accelerates well, even up hill. I'm very pleased. Since the ram is bigger and heavier, the trailer doesn't knock it around as much. You know it's back there, but not like in a Dakota.

Fuel mileage averaged about 13.5mpg. That's pretty darn good. On a good day the Dakota would average about 9mpg on premium fuel. On a bad day - head wind - mileage would drop to about 5-6. That truck was getting too expensive to feed.

I ran for a while with the trans in Tow/Haul mode, and a while in default mode. In tow/haul, mileage went up about 1.5mpg. Interestingly enough, trans temp was about 10-15* cooler in tow/haul. I don't know why that is, but I like it.

I should have bought a diesel a long time ago.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:22 PM

I towed the trailer home Sunday evening. Sunny day, clear blue sky, 60*. I opened the storm flaps. Cruisng speed was 75-80mph. I kept the trans in tow/haul all the way.

Fuel mileage was 12.9mpg. Not bad at all. Gas engine would have gotten 8-9mpg, traveling at 65-70mph

The truck never felt like it was struggling up the hills. It never once downshifted - like my gas engine would be doing constantly.

Trans temp was about 100-110*. Coolant temps were again around 190-195*.

All in all, this truck tows like a dream. Getting on the interstate was easy; just step on the skinny pedal and go. No struggles, no fuss, no strain. I actually found myself going way too fast in no time at all. Yikes! gotta slow down! I love this truck. I should have bought a diesel years ago.

Oddly enough, EGT's were a little less than the day before. Like around 1000-1100 at most. On flat stretches or down hill, it was closer to 850-900*.

Why is that? Why are they high when speeds and ambient temps are down? I would have expected them to be higher on Sunday.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also tow an enclosed car hauler and average 12mpg. I installed pyro and boost gauges this past winter and haven't towed fully loaded since. I did get to pull the trailer empty (about 4k lbs) the other day and on flat ground my egt averaged 850* and on small hills the highest was 1100* with cruise set at 65. I didn't expect the temps to rise so easily. Before installing the gauges I towed on the PA turnpike and on 65 through KY & TN and had the pedal almost to the floor going up some grades (trans stayed in OD). I bet I was pushing 1300*.

Now I can understand why people say you have to work these engines to keep them running good. Driving around empty with 500-600* egt probably doesn't keep pistons and injectors clean like 1000-1200* does.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:51 PM

I have a cold weather cover on the radiator, all the flaps are closed.
I opened the storm flaps.
This is probably why. With the flaps open you are allowing the intercooler to cool the intake air more than with them closed resulting in cooler exhaust temps.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by 4x4Freak
This is probably why. With the flaps open you are allowing the intercooler to cool the intake air more than with them closed resulting in cooler exhaust temps.
That's what I was thinking, that it had something to do with the cover. That was the only change between on trip and the next. But I didn't think about the intercooler. I bet it was getting more hot air in with the flaps cold, which would increase exhaust temps.

Thanx, "problem" solved.

Yesterday I reprogrammed for economy: SW1, TM2, TQ2, PoD60. Trans not in cruise/haul mode. I drove up to DIA and back last night. Easy cruising at mostly 78mph. Overhead said 19.8mpg, which equals 19.3 in real life. Pretty nice.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Personally I don't tow with my winter front on, unless the outside temp is well below zero... The winter front not only keep the coolant warm, but increase the temp of the intake air as well.

You'll also find that SW1 and PoD mess up your overhead.. mine is a consistent 20% off.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by .boB
That's what I was thinking, that it had something to do with the cover. That was the only change between on trip and the next. But I didn't think about the intercooler. I bet it was getting more hot air in with the flaps cold, which would increase exhaust temps.

Thanx, "problem" solved.

Yesterday I reprogrammed for economy: SW1, TM2, TQ2, PoD60. Trans not in cruise/haul mode. I drove up to DIA and back last night. Easy cruising at mostly 78mph. Overhead said 19.8mpg, which equals 19.3 in real life. Pretty nice.
In the future unless it's sub-zero temperatures I wouldn't even bother leaving the flaps closed while towing. Coolant temps will be more stable, and the intercooler will be much more efficient with the flaps open. Without a load it's a whole different ball game because these engines have a tendency to run cold unloaded in the winter.

Welcome to the club though! Treat her right
Old 04-21-2009, 01:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by xtoyz17
In the future unless it's sub-zero temperatures I wouldn't even bother leaving the flaps closed while towing. Coolant temps will be more stable, and the intercooler will be much more efficient with the flaps open. Without a load it's a whole different ball game because these engines have a tendency to run cold unloaded in the winter.

Welcome to the club though! Treat her right
I have noticed with my SG set to show IAT that even with the cover on and all flaps open it GREATLY increrases the IAT, about 40-50*+ above the ambient temp... So I would compleatly remove the winter front.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:30 PM

Temps over the week end were down around 10*. But that should be about the last of the winter storms in this area. I'm heading to UT via WY on Saturday. I'm going to take the cover off this week; I don't figure I'll need it until next year.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:13 AM

You need to change your sig.
Bone stock...maybe.
Now you have a Smarty Jr. Hehehe.

I don't think 1,200* is going to hurt anything but I wouldn't bother with the cover towing.
Why make the accessories work harder than they have to?

Enjoy it. They can pull a load despite some other downsides these trucks have.
It'll last. Farmers out here are dropping Fords and picking up Dodges fast.

Just throw a seat cover on!
Old 04-22-2009, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by austin1972
You need to change your sig.
Bone stock...maybe.
Now you have a Smarty Jr. Hehehe.
Ok, I admit I'm addicted to mods on all my vehicles. I have trouble leaving my lawn mower alone!

But no more. This truck performs well, is economical, and should last forever. I'v got to try not to screw that up.