3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Tailgate issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tailgate issue

I asked my wife to close the tailgate on my 06 Megacab the other day. She wasn't used to not having to slam it shut like on my old 98 GMC. So when she did slam it, two small protrusions appeared on both sides of the tailgate. obviously something inside the gate was forced outward with the slamming. Has anyone else experienced this? I have my doubts that Dodge will cover this on warranty but if someone has had any dealings with them on this I would appreciate hearing about it.
Old 05-28-2007, 02:50 PM

SAme on my truck, upset me for about a minute or two then realized, I still have to fix the dent on my bedside from throwing the tire off the roof.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ps

Sounds like you better not get the wife mad at you.....hahaha
Old 05-28-2007, 10:53 PM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeWil
I asked my wife to close the tailgate on my 06 Megacab the other day. She wasn't used to not having to slam it shut like on my old 98 GMC. So when she did slam it, two small protrusions appeared on both sides of the tailgate. obviously something inside the gate was forced outward with the slamming. Has anyone else experienced this? I have my doubts that Dodge will cover this on warranty but if someone has had any dealings with them on this I would appreciate hearing about it.
Welcome to DTR. You will finds loads of good information and advice here. Lots of nice folks.
Now, for your issue. It may be time for trading in for a newer model. Maybe the new one won't slam your tailgate.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:41 AM

I know those paintless dent repair guys do really good work but, I'm not sure if they can fix it the other way. As for the wife, she hasn't been seen since.....just kidding
Old 05-29-2007, 09:40 PM

I've read where these outward facing dimples are a result of the tailgate getting dropped when opened. I only have a dimple on the left side. Go figure.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:38 AM

Update on the tailgate: I took it to the dealer and they were stumped as to why this happened as there is nothing inside the gate at the points where this happened. They are going to repair it under warranty though.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:56 AM

I have the same ones but I had a load shift and hit the tailgate. It moved the locking pins on the bed about 1/2" don't think DC will cover that?
Old 06-14-2007, 11:26 AM

Speaking of tailgates, I notice that the cables on mine are too short to let the tailgate open a full 90 degrees. I guess they saved a dime by cutting the cables a little shorter.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by LongRanger
Speaking of tailgates, I notice that the cables on mine are too short to let the tailgate open a full 90 degrees. I guess they saved a dime by cutting the cables a little shorter.
Take it in for the dealer to look at. You'll probably get new ones under warranty. My tailgate sits level when open.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Radman
I've read where these outward facing dimples are a result of the tailgate getting dropped when opened. I only have a dimple on the left side. Go figure.
Try this, I have one and it works great!

http://www.ezdown.com/

Look around, I bought mine and found a lower price after I received it

This was floating around this site a few months ago, do a search if you want more info from the forum members.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:55 AM
RRC

My tailgate cables are different lengths! One is tight when it is down and the other has slack in it when its down!
Old 06-15-2007, 06:23 AM

I had two dents in the top of my tailgate from closing it with the 4 wheeler in the bed. Guess they don't make them like they used to.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Patriot2500
I had two dents in the top of my tailgate from closing it with the 4 wheeler in the bed. Guess they don't make them like they used to.
I work at a motorcycle dealer and I see alot of bent up tailgates caused by loading quads. If I owned one I think I would take the tailgate off when transporting.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Radman
I was wondering where they came from. Most of the time my truck is so dirty that I wouldn't have noticed but when I debadged the tailgate I noticed the bumps plain as day.

Quick Reply: Tailgate issue