3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Sirius plug and play?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sirius plug and play?

I`m looking at Sirius Radio. My question is, how do the plug and play units install in your car? Do you need a special head unit that accepts the sirius reciever? I allready have an aftermarket radio, Kenwood. It does NOT have a plug on it to hook up an accessory. Do the plug and play units come with some sort of wire harness that allows me to use it with my existing radio? I plan to get the unit that comes with the boom box, so any help would be appreciated.

thx
Old 12-18-2004, 05:08 PM

I've got Xm, and can't really help you, but if you do a search on this site of "sirius" on all open forums for the last 6 months. You should be able to find an answer there.

I used to have a good sirius forum site but can't find it. Here's a good site for looking for auto/audio accesories (sat radio converters):

http://www.pie.net/

hth
Old 12-19-2004, 05:53 PM

any one else??
Old 12-19-2004, 08:14 PM

Re: Sirius plug and play?

Originally posted by dodgedude361
I`m looking at Sirius Radio. My question is, how do the plug and play units install in your car? Do you need a special head unit that accepts the sirius reciever? I allready have an aftermarket radio, Kenwood. It does NOT have a plug on it to hook up an accessory. Do the plug and play units come with some sort of wire harness that allows me to use it with my existing radio? I plan to get the unit that comes with the boom box, so any help would be appreciated.

thx
plug and play usually refers to FM-modulated units. they emit an FM signal, you tune your radio to 88.1 or a similar frequency and the sirius signal is transmitted over the airwaves. FM modulation is known for exceptionally poor sound quality. it's convenient and portable but sound quality is the tradeoff. your kenwood unit might be sirius ready, what's the model number? kenwood makes a tuner that plugs right into compatible kenwood headunits, giving excellent sound quality and the ability to control the tuner from the headunit.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:30 AM

I have a steamer unit I use in my semi, it has a suction cup cradle that mounts on the windshied that way you can transfer it from one vehicle to another with out having to find a place to mount it. You set the radio in your truck to 88.1 thru 88.9 plug it in to the cig lighter put the mouse antenna on the dash and your in business. this unit can only be purchased from big rig dealers Kenworth,Macck, Freightliner etc. or sirius.com
Old 12-22-2004, 09:17 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If your head unti had CD changer controls, you should be able to find an "auxilary input adapter" that will convert your CD changer port into RCA inputs. Check the website above or www.crutchfield.com The sound quality will be much better with the adapter than you will get with an FM modulator. If you dont have RCA inputs or CD changer controls, you will have to use the FM modulator.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:12 PM

don"t worry to much about it,,it"s easy as pie,,just plug it into your cigarette lighter put the antenna on top ur truck and use the menu to find out what frequency scroll down till the frequency is highlighted and press select it will show u what frequeny it"s on turn ur truck radio to the same frequency and ur in bussness, i was confused about the modulator thing to,,but don"t worry about it, it"s the on the sirius radio transmitter,, get the sirius it"s easy and ur just gonna love it