3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Replacing rear calipers... what else should be replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing rear calipers... what else should be replaced?

Hello,

I'm replacing both rear calipers on my 04.5 truck. Left rear is seized at slides.

So with that being said what else should I replace while I have it apart? I will be replacing the pads of course. I believe I'm also supposed to replace the washers at the brake line x brake caliper banjo fitting. Should the bolt also be replaced?

I'm doing this type of work on this truck for the first time and need some advice before I start. I do all types of machine work... but never have worked on brakes. LOL!

Thanks for any advice.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by PapaPerk
Hello,

I'm replacing both rear calipers on my 04.5 truck. Left rear is seized at slides.

So with that being said what else should I replace while I have it apart? I will be replacing the pads of course. I believe I'm also supposed to replace the washers at the brake line x brake caliper banjo fitting. Should the bolt also be replaced?

I'm doing this type of work on this truck for the first time and need some advice before I start. I do all types of machine work... but never have worked on brakes. LOL!

Thanks for any advice.
Papa, how many miles are on the brakes and rotors? In addition, do you drive highway mostly or more city driving?

Last edited by 6spd05Dually; 05-21-2011 at 09:20 AM. Reason: added question
Old 05-21-2011, 10:33 AM

I had this happen to me last fall. Came home from work, stopped at the diesel pump to fuel up and smelled something really raunchy. Then I noticed that the left rear wheel was smoking hot. I ended up replacing the caliper, pads and rotor since they were all ruined from the heat. The rotor was completely blued and I didn't want to take any chances. Replacing the brakes on these trucks is actually real simple. Only took me about an hour start to finish. Also if you replace the rotor, clean the new one off with brake clean first! The coat them in a rust inhibitor for shipping and storage purposes.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:55 AM
DTR Advertiser

Brake Fluid

Go to the root of the problem and completely flush your brake fluid with new Dot 3 before you put your new parts on the truck.

If this has never been done on a truck that is 5-6 years old your brake fluid is probably around 10-20% water.
I have watched in horror many times as guys, "mechanics" mind you, will change calipers without flushing fluid. Recommended procedure is now every 1-2 years for most manufacturers.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:36 AM

The truck has around 60K on it. The rotors are in good shape.

Draining the brake fluid sounds like a good idea. Of course to do that I'll have to take the front apart too. Maybe new calipers all the way around! LOL