Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-generation-ram-non-drivetrain-all-years-101/)
-   -   Replacing rear calipers... what else should be replaced? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-generation-ram-non-drivetrain-all-years-101/replacing-rear-calipers-what-else-should-replaced-290173/)

PapaPerk 05-21-2011 08:54 AM

Replacing rear calipers... what else should be replaced?

Hello,

I'm replacing both rear calipers on my 04.5 truck. Left rear is seized at slides.

So with that being said what else should I replace while I have it apart? I will be replacing the pads of course. I believe I'm also supposed to replace the washers at the brake line x brake caliper banjo fitting. Should the bolt also be replaced?

I'm doing this type of work on this truck for the first time and need some advice before I start. I do all types of machine work... but never have worked on brakes. [duhhh] LOL!

Thanks for any advice.

6spd05Dually 05-21-2011 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by PapaPerk (Post 2970990)
Hello,

I'm replacing both rear calipers on my 04.5 truck. Left rear is seized at slides.

So with that being said what else should I replace while I have it apart? I will be replacing the pads of course. I believe I'm also supposed to replace the washers at the brake line x brake caliper banjo fitting. Should the bolt also be replaced?

I'm doing this type of work on this truck for the first time and need some advice before I start. I do all types of machine work... but never have worked on brakes. [duhhh] LOL!

Thanks for any advice.

Papa, how many miles are on the brakes and rotors? In addition, do you drive highway mostly or more city driving?

NoSparkplugs 05-21-2011 10:33 AM

I had this happen to me last fall. Came home from work, stopped at the diesel pump to fuel up and smelled something really raunchy. Then I noticed that the left rear wheel was smoking hot. I ended up replacing the caliper, pads and rotor since they were all ruined from the heat. The rotor was completely blued and I didn't want to take any chances. Replacing the brakes on these trucks is actually real simple. Only took me about an hour start to finish. Also if you replace the rotor, clean the new one off with brake clean first! The coat them in a rust inhibitor for shipping and storage purposes.

KirtW 05-24-2011 08:55 AM

Brake Fluid

Go to the root of the problem and completely flush your brake fluid with new Dot 3 before you put your new parts on the truck.

If this has never been done on a truck that is 5-6 years old your brake fluid is probably around 10-20% water.
I have watched in horror many times as guys, "mechanics" mind you, will change calipers without flushing fluid. Recommended procedure is now every 1-2 years for most manufacturers.

PapaPerk 05-24-2011 11:36 AM

The truck has around 60K on it. The rotors are in good shape.

Draining the brake fluid sounds like a good idea. Of course to do that I'll have to take the front apart too. Maybe new calipers all the way around! LOL [coffee]