3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Which preserver for protecting leather seats?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meguires leather wipes for me . . . have used them for years . . .work well.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:22 PM
FAY

For the suede inserts also or what?

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
Lexol all the way.
ptgarcia, are you telling me you use LEXOL Original Formula also for the suede inserts in the seat back rests? On my brown jug of Lexol it states, "Not recommended for suede or glove soft leather."
Old 10-26-2006, 11:50 PM
FAY

suede type leather

Originally Posted by FirstDodge
Meguires leather wipes for me . . . have used them for years . . .work well.
FirstDodge, I used LEXOL with a sponge and wiped it all over the rough and smooth hide in the seat back rests and bench, but I am apprehensive about using it on the back rest part of the seat consisting of a different color insert done in suede type leather. Does Dodge install different grades of leather upolstery in different trucks? Do some trucks have two or three types of seat leather and others have one type of leather? My truck has rough heavier dark leather for both the back rest and the bench edges, with smooth somewhat heavy dark leather for the center of the bench. The front bucket seats and the split back seat have center pieces in all the seat back rests that is a very light grey colored soft fuzzy suede type leather. I do not want to use something that will cause the insert to look slimy, pasted down or somewhat smooth from the oil, and then I will have a terrible time unsuccessfully trying to scuff it back into a suede condition. I use mink oil on my boots, but I would never use it on suede shoe leather. Actually I use nothing on suede shoes except brush them with a soft copper wire brush, but it does not preserve the suede shoe leather, and its surface wears smooth easily.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:53 PM

Do some trucks have two or three types of seat leather and others have one type of leather?
I believe that some dealer installed leather is actually installed by a local company. A guy I work with ordered a Big Horn with leather and his does not have the suede like my Laramie. His leather also seems "higher quality" or thicker than mine. That may not mean "higher quality" but feels like it is.
Old 10-28-2006, 02:51 PM

Plain old saddle soap or murphys oil soap work well on all lewather and is non acidic