Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-generation-ram-non-drivetrain-all-years-101/)
-   -   Which preserver for protecting leather seats? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-generation-ram-non-drivetrain-all-years-101/preserver-protecting-leather-seats-117662/)

FAY 09-24-2006 11:15 PM

Which preserver for protecting leather seats?

My grandson said he used Armour All on his leather seats in his automobile for a few years and he does not like the product. He said the surface of the leather becomes too shiny and that the Armour All seems to buildup after repeated use.

My truck's leather seats are not dirty in the least, but after a year with no preserver applied they need some attention before they start to look neglected. The bench part of the seats look somewhat stretched from the weight of our butts stretching the leather for hours at a time.

Anyway, what do you guys use to protect your leather truck seats with? What negative aspects have you experienced about the various products? What product or products do you find give the most satisfactory results? Thanks for any advice. FAY

rockwithjason 09-24-2006 11:28 PM

Lexol is the best leather product I have found. It comes in a brown bottle and you can get it at most auto stores.

Shovelhead 09-25-2006 05:36 AM

I agree,
Lexol in the orange bottle for cleaning, in the brown bottle for preserving.

Jus Cruisin 09-25-2006 08:00 AM

I'll plug Meguires One Step Leather Care. I always have leather vehicles and have used it for years.

Just don't hop in truck with tools haning out a back pocket...scrathes need to be redyed. Don't use anthing but a leather cleaner for stains...many cleaners will harm the leather surface.

Don't forget the steering wheel. I park with the bottom of the wheel facing up to take the UV load during the day along with windshield sunshades and tinted side windows. Florida sun is tough on interiors if not maintained.

FAY 09-25-2006 06:31 PM

Whats in Lexol?

Originally Posted by rockwithjason (Post 1141368)
Lexol is the best leather product I have found. It comes in a brown bottle and you can get it at most auto stores.

I have looked on the Lexol container and can find no list of ingredients. While looked at a web site that sells Lexol I can not see any data on lexol's make up. I noticed the same dealer advertising Wolfgang, or something sounding like that, which is made in Germany, and the write up gives it a good rating. They also show the ingredients. I have time to look for the best. Thank-you fellows for the suggestions. If anyone knows the ingredients in Lexol please include them for our consideration.

vernl 09-26-2006 12:41 AM

Mink Oil

I have used Mink Oil on all my leather seats from Mercedes on down the line and have never had dry leather or any signs of those ''wrinkles'' than can appear on the bottom seat edges...any good boot store carries it and for 10 bucks you can do front and back seats and any door trim several times which for me is about a yr or so...pretty good price compared to other products out there as well ...I put on a coat the day I buy the vehicle and as needed after that

MikeyB 09-26-2006 07:09 AM

I use hand lotion.

MikeyB

shep1 09-26-2006 12:27 PM

The owners manual says use only a damp soft cloth to clean the leather.

xyzer 09-26-2006 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by FAY (Post 1142249)
I have looked on the Lexol container and can find no list of ingredients. While looked at a web site that sells Lexol I can not see any data on lexol's make up. I noticed the same dealer advertising Wolfgang, or something sounding like that, which is made in Germany, and the write up gives it a good rating. They also show the ingredients. I have time to look for the best. Thank-you fellows for the suggestions. If anyone knows the ingredients in Lexol please include them for our consideration.

I have used it for years on my saddles...I believe the main ingrediant in lanolin...

Mule Man 09-26-2006 02:06 PM

Try the Tannery. I have used it for years in Arizona. Works well and leaves no residue.

Cmullen 09-26-2006 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by shep1 (Post 1143222)
The owners manual says use only a damp soft cloth to clean the leather.

Yeah and they say that you dont need fule additives and yet they'll void your warranty for bad fuel...Dont believe them If leather didnt need treatment people wouldnt spend good money on great products like meguiars or lexol

FAY 10-24-2006 08:13 PM

Used Lexol

We had a 16 oz jug of Lexol stored in the cabinet that was a spare along with the partly used container of Lexol for the horse tack, and I used the spare jug of Lexol on my truck's leather seats. It seems to be absorbing the tanning oils fine into the smooth and heavier rough hide. What I need to know now is what should I use on the the back rest suede leather inserts to preserve the soft fuzzy leather. The heavier stiff leather is a dark grey color and the insert is very light grey. I made sure I did not wipe any Lexol on the back rest suede insert. What do you fellows use on the soft suede insert?

Dodgezilla 10-25-2006 04:23 AM

I used Zaino leather treatment on my 95 Trans Am Convertible. Those seats still looked like new when I sold it 3 years ago. I still have some and that's what I'll be using again.....

Hohn2 10-25-2006 10:12 AM

Meguiars products hav been pretty good to me..armor all leaves them way too shiny IMO. Especially the wipes..

ptgarcia 10-25-2006 05:49 PM

Lexol all the way.