3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

protecting paint

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
protecting paint

I am getting tires replaced in the morning bc the Mich were defective. I am going with the BFG AT KO's 285/70/17. I do not tow anything heavier than a 21 ft wakeboard boat (maybe 7k loaded down) so i am hoping they will sufice. I am a little worried about the rocker panels being beat to death. I am looking at getting fender flares, possibly in black b/c they are so exp to get painted. Will the flares be enough? What are you guys doing with plus tires to help protect the rockers?
Old 07-28-2006, 12:08 PM

Someone else will chime in and correct me if im wrong, but the 285's are a good size in the fact that i think they don't really stick out past the fenders.... A nice pair of mud flaps may be all you need?
Old 07-28-2006, 02:56 PM

mud flaps

got the BFG on my 06 quad cab CTD and I put the husky mud flaps on my truck all arround look pretty good. so far havn't heard any rocks hitting the rockers.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:29 PM
Banned

Here is my solution. That black stuff is Reflex bed liner.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:51 PM

You really shouldn't need any cause those tires don't really stick out that far
I agree with the guy above you need some mud flaps instead. But if ya dead set on the power wagon look get'em!
Old 07-28-2006, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by JD Dearden
Here is my solution. That black stuff is Reflex bed liner.
If you don't mind me asking. What did it run you to get that stuff put on.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tauberson
I am getting tires replaced in the morning bc the Mich were defective. I am going with the BFG AT KO's 285/70/17. I do not tow anything heavier than a 21 ft wakeboard boat (maybe 7k loaded down) so i am hoping they will sufice. I am a little worried about the rocker panels being beat to death. I am looking at getting fender flares, possibly in black b/c they are so exp to get painted. Will the flares be enough? What are you guys doing with plus tires to help protect the rockers?

I am a big fan of the BFG 285's. I love mine so far and they are holding up very well. I really like JD Deardan's idea of the spray liner on the lower part of the truck. If rock chips become a problem I will be doing that too. That said, I haven't had much of a problem with rock chips so far. I am running the Power Wagon Flares and they seem to block it fine with the OEM wheels. Mine are powdercoated, but still stock. More pics in the gallery, but you can kinda see how much they stick out here.

Old 07-29-2006, 08:54 PM

I have ATS fender flares and Dura-Flap mud flaps. Those two things make a WORLD of difference.

Old 07-31-2006, 08:56 AM

[QUOTE=pet05]I have ATS fender flares and Dura-Flap mud flaps. Those two things make a WORLD of difference.

Pete05, Truck looks good. Did you get the flaps with the RAM on them or did you put them on your self? Where did you get them ?
Old 07-31-2006, 09:01 AM

If you don't like the looks of mud flaps, you could always use paint protection film on your truck. I use it on the front end of mine instead of a plastic bug deflector. I've also installed it on rocker panels of some sportscars. After time the film will get knicked up, but you can just peel it off and replace it with another piece.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by AlpacaFarmer
If you don't like the looks of mud flaps, you could always use paint protection film on your truck. I use it on the front end of mine instead of a plastic bug deflector. I've also installed it on rocker panels of some sportscars. After time the film will get knicked up, but you can just peel it off and replace it with another piece.
what film and where did you get it. i have looked at some dif kinds, but have never used it before.

I am not too crazy about the mud flaps but they will help.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:32 AM

The Mud Flaps & Flares were aftermarket. I put them on myself and it was very easy. The flares are harder to put on but they still can be done.

THere are other options but if you choose to do NOTHING, you will have chipped paint all over the lower portions of your truck, it gets worse with larger and deeper grooved tires.

I seen a truck out here with large tires and NO flares, flaps, etc. and the entire lower portion of the truck had hundreds of spots of missing paint. It was also starting to rust. THe truck was only a couple of years old.

Mud Flaps look A LOT better than 1000 rocks chips and rust.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:39 PM

Paint Protection Film

I have used 3M film in the past but there are a few others out there...just do google search on Paint Protection Film. I've bought kits and bulk peices from www.xpel.com and www.ultrashieldusa.com. I think ebay has a bunch of posts for film for sale also.

If your installing on a relatively flat surface, its pretty easy to do. If your trying to cover compound curves, it can get a bit tougher since you need to stretch the film a bit.

John

(PS - I've gone to class for film installation and have done roughly 75 vehicles...a side business I had for a year)
Old 07-31-2006, 08:52 PM

I've been doing the Paint Protection Film for an Infiniti dealership (and other makes inc. my Dodge) for about 5 years. The rocker panels on the Dodges are super easy to do. I've used the 3m scotchcal film and the Avery Denison style, I prefer the Avery D. type since it actually has some orange peel in the outer layer. The 3m is really clear so it kinda looks a little different. But both do a great job.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:46 AM

I a protective film on my '03 and after a year it was junk - it chips and yes, you do notice it even though the underlying paint might not be impacted.

On the '05 I had the rocker panels sprayed with the (colour matched) bedliner. Little additional cost and not even a minor ding can be seen after running with 19.5 wheels, gravel roads, etc. Looks pretty good - almost like a two-tone job.