3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Painting chrome grille?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 08:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Painting chrome grille?

Anyone painted the factory chrome grille?Looking to paint it white.Is it possible to do this and it be durable or does Mopar sale a plain unfinished plastic one that is ready to paint.I just want to do it once and do it right.If I can paint over the chrome whats the procedure?By the way I have an extra 03-05 chrome grille with the factory chrome inserts and chrome bug shield in absolute perfect condition I would be willing to trade for a white one
Old 03-10-2009, 01:15 AM

You prolly wont get too many replies to your post....now wheres that ...ahh there it is.....
It's been asked several times...but since i'm a nice guy and i HATE when people reply with "do a search" without any other help or offering adivse, i'm gonna at least point ya in the right direction.

Here's a link to your question asked before... it's the first one i found with a pic....
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...painting+grill
If you do a search for "painting grill" or "painting grill bumper" you'll find a boat load of post on this topic....
oh and from what i've heard.... You need to remove (sand) the chrome off the grill in order for the paint to adhear to it...
There's a site that sells painted grills (OEM) but i cant remember the name of the place...maybe someone that does will help out...i'll save it this time...
Hope this helps a little..
Old 03-10-2009, 01:36 AM

Here's a post from another site with a little more detail and pics....
I'm actually wanting to do the same to mine, but think this is a little out of my confort zone...so i'll prolly just pay out of the (_I_) to have it done...
anyway here ya go....
http://dodgetruckworld.tenmagazines.....asp?id=297165
Old 03-10-2009, 03:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Homewrecker............I bought one of these grills from Pershing about 3 years ago and painted it black. It's on my truck now. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-P...mZ330312940566

The paint (rattle can) faded a little over time so I took it back off and repainted again and it looks great. I'd recommend using Krylon Fusion paint in your color of choice. I used the "honeycomb" inserts from my original chrome grill which I still have to complete it. Hope that helps.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:35 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
www.dodgeparts.com You can get grills in different colors as well as argent (flat black) that may be easier to paint.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
www.LMCtruck.com has painted grill.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:01 AM

I used the grill from Pershing just like TexasCTD except mine had the black honeycomb in it. It came with the mounting hardware and fit just as good as the factory grill. I took the emblem off the chrome grill and sandblasted it then painted it black to match.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:18 PM

10-4 guys.Thanks for the replys.Any ideas what this extra 03-5 grille I have is worth?
Old 03-13-2009, 11:26 AM

Here's the place i was thinking of the other day but couldn't remember....

I dont know anything about them, but i got the link from some other members that have ordered from them....

http://www.jimsautoparts.com/mopar_p...or.htm#grilles
Old 04-07-2019, 05:16 PM

Painted grill

I’ve bought two for my 4th generation truck from Amazon. Both black. First one I used plasti-kote and second one I used duplicate-color enamel. Both fit great, both turned out great and lasted.

Originally Posted by homewrecker
Anyone painted the factory chrome grille?Looking to paint it white.Is it possible to do this and it be durable or does Mopar sale a plain unfinished plastic one that is ready to paint.I just want to do it once and do it right.If I can paint over the chrome whats the procedure?By the way I have an extra 03-05 chrome grille with the factory chrome inserts and chrome bug shield in absolute perfect condition I would be willing to trade for a white one