3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

OK, where the heck does it go????

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 03:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking OK, where the heck does it go????

I drive with my AC on all the time now that summer has finally arrived here in sunny, SOCAL. So, just about every (make that every) car I have ever owned dripped AC condensation (water) on the ground after driving any distance with the AC on. This truck does not seem to sweat the stuff. It has to be condensing water out of the air. Where is it going????

Neil
Old 07-14-2004, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, I just returned from a one month trip to sunny Florida, and in the high heat and humidity it looked like it was raining under my truck!! Maybe yours has one of those new fangled whatchamacallitevaporators?!
Old 07-14-2004, 04:36 PM
VPI

Here in humid Tennessee mine rains under my truck when I run the AC
Old 07-14-2004, 05:02 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 153 Likes on 119 Posts
This normal for ANY air conditioning system. Take a look at an air conditioner for a house and you will see a drain to take away the water. It is a natural law that when air is cooled that any water vapor present will condense out of it. The higher the humidity, ie Florida coast, the more water that will condense from the air as it is cooled. The opposite of course also applies, when air is heated, the more water it can absorb. Your truck A/C is taking the water present in the air and dumping it on the ground.
Old 07-14-2004, 05:23 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
OK, where the heck does it go????
Into your carpet if the A/C drain is blocked.
Old 07-14-2004, 07:10 PM

and in the high heat and humidity it looked like it was raining under my truck!!
Agreed. Mine positivly GUSHES! I could water a golf course.
Old 07-14-2004, 07:15 PM

OK. I suppose I'd better have a closer look. It's been dry here but my other vehicles drip like crazy when they stop after running the AC - but seemingly not my truck.
Old 07-14-2004, 07:19 PM

Neil, you'll be able to see the black rubber hose come out of the passenger side firewall. Should be POURING out of there.
Old 07-14-2004, 07:58 PM

If you're running the a/c on max like I do, it won't drain as much. Mine doesn't drain much at all after it's cooled off inside. It's been hotter'n the hinges of heck here in Florida. It was 101*F on the blacktop coming through Gainesville last week and high humidity. The sweat rolls off just standing in the shade. If I run the a/c on other than max, it seems like it never cools off inside and the fumes from other vehicles stinks with the outside air coming in. If it ain't that, you might oughta' check the carpet.
Your drain isn't dripping right on the downpipe and evaporating is it?
Old 07-14-2004, 09:13 PM

The rain in Spain falls from the bottom of the passenger side fire wall
Old 07-14-2004, 11:27 PM

Re: OK, where the heck does it go????

Originally posted by NJMurvin
Where is it going????

Neil
It's probably going the same place mine is, sloshing around in the evaporator box!!!
I've been under my truck 3 times looking for the drain to unplug it but I'll be damned if I can find it!!!
Old 07-15-2004, 06:48 AM

It's so close to the passenger-side frame rail, you may be missing it. I suspect algea accumulated in the hose stopping it up. Either it's stopped up, or the end of the drain hose has enough algea inside that is trickles out and onto the frame rail and may be flowing down the frame rail until it reaches a point where it begins uphill then runs off. Nat
Old 07-15-2004, 07:41 AM

Originally posted by VPI
Here in humid Tennessee mine rains under my truck when I run the AC
Being just over the state line from you, I know what you're saying. I think the only way the ground has been any more wet is from all the dang rain we've been getting.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:18 AM

I looked again when I got home from work last night. No time crawl under though. No drips noticed. Hose must be plugged or condensation is hitting something that's holding it or evaporating it. I haven't seen this since it was new (still only has 3k mi on it) so I doubt if it's algae.

I only run at max AC. But I don't see why that would matter. Condensation is caused by the cooling of humid air (as air cools, it loses its capacity to hold moisture). The colder the components, the more I would expect condensation to accumulate and, eventually, run off somewhere. It's the somewhere that I have yet to find. Hmmm, maybe by running at max, I'm drying out the air more by recycling the colder air. I suppose that's possible. Is the condensation forming from outside air contacting the components or the air that's actually being cooled and pumped thru the cabin?

Ahhh, something to do this weekend . . .
Old 07-15-2004, 11:23 AM

Neil, Let me know if you want a pic. I can pull mine on the rack and take a snapshot with the digital if you're interested. Nat

Quick Reply: OK, where the heck does it go????