3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

OK to Run Fuel Conditioner while under warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK to Run Fuel Conditioner while under warranty?

Been reading the post on fuel conditioners and only have 7K on my ride. Will the added conditioners void warranty? Is it safe for a new engine?

I did not read where the 3:1 ratio of PSK/MMO came from. Do you follow the mixing ratios for each product?

Thanks
Old 06-14-2005, 02:02 AM

If you run Power Service/MMO mix, and have a fuel related problem, that may be an issue. If I were you I would run something like Power Service, Stanadyne or equivelent. Cummins seems to be neutral on the use of additives. Just use a good quality, alcohol free product.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:45 PM

what do you mean by a fuel related problem?

Also, what are most CTD owners using when truck is new? If so, what would be the ratios of mixing?

Thanks
Old 06-15-2005, 07:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I run a PS/MMO mix. 3 parts Power Service Kleen to 1 part Marvel Mystery Oil. I add 16oz of mix to every tank(27-30 gallons). I have been running this mix since about 13,000 miles, now have 25,000 miles. I can not prove that the additives had anything to do with it, but the truck has been running smoother, quieter and mpg is steadily increasing since started with mix. At about $2.25 per tank, this seems like a simple way to provide additional lubrication, cleaning and protection from poor quality diesel that you may run across. My .02.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:30 PM

Cummins has a product called "Premiun-Plus Diesel Fuel Additive". You should be able to get it at any Cummins store.
From a warranty standpoint, I would think that since this is a Cummins product, it might be a little difficult for them to deny you. Keep the bills so you can prove the purchase & use of the Cummins product.

I went to a seminar at May Madness, this year, and a rep. from the local Bosch repair facility (they sell Stanadyne products) said that if you don't want to use Stanadyne, be sure to, at least, use something. These new fuels are quite low on lubricity. Especially, States having their fuel needs serviced by California. We are now getting Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel. It is very dry. Also, if you have a military installation near your hometown, they sometimes refuse to accept the jet fuel that is to be delivered to them. When that happens, the fuel gets treated with additives and is distributed for consumption by the general public, you & me. Jet fuel is extremely dry and what we get, sometimes, does not have enough additive or it is not dispersed properly into the fuel.

Bosch Headquarters was noticing an extraordinary number of fuel injection system failures but, just in certain areas. After awhile, they figured out what was going on and notified all of their satelite facilities with the recommendation of adding more lubricity to their customers fuel.

If you want to use Stanadyne, you may want to look into their "Lubricity Formula". It has 5 times more lubrication content, and is quite a bit more economical to use than their Performance Formula.

Personally, I would, and do, use an additive. I think you have a much greater risk of something going wrong by not using an additive.

Joe F.(Buffalo)
Old 06-15-2005, 08:51 PM

Should we get into the emulsifier vs demulsifier debate now?
Old 06-18-2005, 10:13 AM
Banned

I run lucas in every tank. I pour about 1/4 bottle in at a time. I consistently get 1mpg better with it than without it. That's good enough for me.
Old 06-18-2005, 10:36 PM
Chapter President

I called the cummins tech line about 3 months ago about this topic. Spoke with a very very very intelligent man (must have been an engineer) regarding this fuel additive topic. Although they cannot endorse any brand, lubricity IS RECOMMENDED. One other interesting thing he mentioned was that cetane rating does not act like octane rating for gasoline. He said once you reach a certain cetane level the performance is maxed out, if you try to go beyond that cetane level (think he said 55) the motor's performance will actually decrease.
just reporting what he said.

Jamie
Old 06-19-2005, 04:03 PM

Actually, then, cetane and octane are similar in that respect. People think more octane you have, the better but if your engine doesn't need higher octane it actually runs worse.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:12 AM

I have been tracking my fuel economy with all kinds of additives. I am currently testing the PS/MMO mix. So far, nothing has out performed Lucas. Howes does seem to make it run quieter but Lucas is the best economy (1-2 MPG better). With the PS/MMO mix, my truck idles with a noticeably louder knock. Bottom line, there is very little diference in economy tested over a couple thousand miles each. Use what is available and gives you the best seat of the pants performance, just use something!
Old 06-22-2005, 01:50 PM

yes, it does quiet it down. IMHO Howes did the most for queting it down though.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:57 AM

I had two injection failures with 27k on truck. DC only recommended Stanadyne. And, nothing with alcohol in it. It was even printed on my invoice. It's kinda expensive at $17 for 1/2 gallon. So, I ran Stanadyne on one fill-up and PS on every other fill up.
Diesel fuel in the US is the worst in the world. There is hardly any lubricity in it!