3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Not Happy with 2006 CTD

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not Happy with 2006 CTD

I bought a 2006 CTD 3500 4X4 SRW SB. I have 3300 miles on this truck. It is my first Dodge truck. I was really happy with it when I got it. But last week got a check engine light and a day later I had a whinning noise up front. The codes for the check engine light were taken care of and the whinning noise turned out to be a bad bearing for the front shaft of the transfer case. Got the truck back Friday from the Dealer. Then today, coming off a stop sign, accelerating gradually, heard a loud pop sound under the truck, thought I hit something, but it was the truck underneath somewhere around the transmission. Then about 20 mins later check engine light comes back on, and when decelerating there is a thump in the rear end. Truck is going back to the dealer Wedsnesday for the 2nd time in less than a week. That disappoints me. I don't trust or rely on this truck anymore. Especially, when I got orders back to the east coast and will be driving cross country pulling a trailer in 3 monthes and I'm already having problems on a new truck. All the research I did on the Dodge really disappoints me to so early having all these problems. And boy, do I catch crap from all the Ford guys now. All I hear now from the Ford guys is " I bet you wish you got a ford now, don't ya!" Now, I'm starting to wonder what was the best choice. Kind of hard to hide what's going on with your truck when your in the military living on base.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:48 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now now, don't worry, we'll have you up and far better than the Powerstrokes in a hurry, provided you can take their ribbing for a little while longer.

Unfortunately, I have heard nothing of anything like this. But I'm sure somebody has.

We'll take care of you; you've come to the right place.

Good luck.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:51 PM

this post is misleading. there is nothing in it that describes you being unhappy w/ a CTD. it seems you're unhappy w/ your Dodge Ram.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Take it back to the dealer and tell them to fix it. This is strike two. Three strikes and it's a lemon. Every truck manufacturer has them now & then. DC is no different. Tell them they have 1 more chance to get it fixed or you want your money back in full, including tax & license.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:03 PM

everybody makes a truck with problems every once in awhile, ask all your ford buddies about the great 6.0 motor, I've had 5 ctd and only one has been any major problems and i put the miles on my trucks and they tow 90% of the time. It could be that you have one of them friday or monday trucks it does happen
Old 02-27-2006, 10:06 PM

I like the CTD, believe me. Just so soon having the problems with the truck. And all the research I did pointed me to the dodge with CTD. I will be honest I'm not to savy on how the lemon law works. I know about the 3 strikes. But isn't that 3 strikes for the same problem, and if the dealer can't fix it. Cause I'm sure with my experience, that dealerships are going to tell you what you wanna hear just to make a dollar. I called DC, and they made a case number, and told me it has got to be something the dealership can not get fixed for the 3 strikes on the lemon law. Well, I guess I'll see what is going to happen on wednesday. I can hold out with the Ford owners in one ear out the other. If it's one of those friday or monday trucks you think they can get it worked out??
Old 03-01-2006, 01:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
truck are made of part put together by people. the big three all have some kind of issues with there trucks .right now you need to look at who is having the most problems .its a bummer when yours is one of them . you could just as well have a chevy with head gaskets and injector,or a piston belching transmission dropping electronic nightmare powerstroke 6.0. dodge is no exception we have are wonderfull VP44 and lift pumps and tracbars . but for the most part all 3 are reliable strong work trucks. dont let your buddies get to you.I work for a Co.with a contract with ford, to only buy ford truck .I have personaly see powerstrokes (250+,not all at one time)in the shop for every type of problem there is .its a wonder that they can even make any money with all the down time. we try and keep the trucks running for 300K, then auction them off but rumor around the shop is to get rid of them as soon as warrantee is up. Ford has there hands full too. just keep your fingers crossed your dealer gets it fixed. you have a great truck ,just a few problems. it will get better!
Old 03-01-2006, 03:20 AM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Geico266
Take it back to the dealer and tell them to fix it. This is strike two. Three strikes and it's a lemon.
I do beliieve it has to be Three Strikes for the SAME problem NOT three DIFFERENT problems.

Old 03-01-2006, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Katmandu
I do beliieve it has to be Three Strikes for the SAME problem NOT three DIFFERENT problems.

The check engine light coming on again could be strike 2. They obviously didn't get it fixed the first time.

I wouldn't so much worry about the other stuff. I think the bump you feel is the torque converter. It's a common thing, mine does it. It just sounds like you are still figuring out what's normal and what isn't for these trucks.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:30 PM

I recently have heard a loud bump sound. Not sure where it came from. But it happened after I turned a corner and stopped for a light. I then took off and heard a loud thump. Is this the t/c or the anti spin diff. I had an 03 and never heard this, but I didn't have the anti spinon that one. Let us know how you make out.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:25 PM

I wrote this post on Monday, the next day my tranny took a dump after the popping noise and thump I heard the day before. Had the truck in drive, got up to about 30 MPH and the truck just kicks out of gear like it is in Neutral. I almost didn't make it home and got stuck in the middle of an intersection. I had to cycle the gear selector up and down and then it would work, temporarily. Well, the truck got towed to the dealership. I'll keep you all updated to see what the final outcome is.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:48 PM

Ford guys will love this one.

Keep on the dealer, you bought a new truck under warranty and they have to fix it or give you something else. Be relentless in your pursuit of fixing things.

Sorry that this happened to you, really sucks, but don't give the dealer an inch.

Let us know how things go and hang in there.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:25 PM

My first Ram was a lemon! That thing was in the dealer constantly getting something fixed. Good thing was, I usually got it back the same day or early the next day. Great service at that Dealership! I had it for about 22 months and it probably went back once a month or more to get something fixed on it. I was always pretty ticked off whenever something would go wrong with it (like my very first camping trip w/ the new trailer and I just go to my spot and put it in reverse to back in the trailer and the power steering went out. That was fun..) but, they always got it fixed for me! So hang in there, they'll get it all worked out for you!

Tony
Old 03-01-2006, 07:47 PM

got call from dealership

The Dealership just called me about 10 minutes ago. The Advisor told me that the transmission internally came apart. A truck with 3300 miles on it, and I haven't even pulled my heavy trailer with it yet. But, I am glad it has happened now instead of going cross country, which I'll be doing in 3 monthes. The Advisor informed me that they are completely internally rebuilding everything inside the tranny and they have orders the parts. Maybe the dealership will rebuild it better than the factory that built it. Must have been a friday or monday the day that tranny was built. I will keep you all updated.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by carpenterje
I wrote this post on Monday, the next day my tranny took a dump after the popping noise and thump I heard the day before. Had the truck in drive, got up to about 30 MPH and the truck just kicks out of gear like it is in Neutral. I almost didn't make it home and got stuck in the middle of an intersection. I had to cycle the gear selector up and down and then it would work, temporarily. Well, the truck got towed to the dealership. I'll keep you all updated to see what the final outcome is.
Make em buy it back and get a 96-98 12V or 01-02 24V - get the fuel system fixed and youll be a happy camper.

Quick Reply: Not Happy with 2006 CTD