3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

New Truck

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Truck

I just recently bought a new 2003 Dodge Ram 2500, quad cab, 4X4, SLT, with the six speed manual. I am new to owning a diesel and so far am enjoying it. It took a little getting used to due to the differences between gas engines and diesel, but have no regrets.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:04 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 153 Likes on 119 Posts
Re:New Truck

Congrats on the new baby. Think that you find that you will enjoy it more and more. Just as you will enjoy DTR and some of the zany members. : Don't forget to read the owners manual.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:15 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Bradley,
Welcome to the DieselTruckResource family.
If you have questions about your new ride, ask away.
Our motto:
The only silly question is the one that's never asked.

Ed
Old 10-13-2003, 11:58 AM

Glad to see another newbe, I too just purchases a 03 2500. It does take some getting used to the manual on the diesel compared to gassers, but it sure is a blast to drive.
Old 10-13-2003, 02:48 PM

I am also a new owner and still getting used to it. I have never owned a truck before so there are many things to get used to all at once. The 6 spd wasn't tough, it is just having to shift as often as I do. Not used to that yet. I work from home and don't drive that often so it may take a while to get the miles on here to really see what it can do.

Daren
Old 10-13-2003, 06:48 PM

Thanks for the replies. So far I am enjoying it. I am a Robbery Investigator at the MPD. The only question I have that the manual doesn't say is as long as I am not pulling or hauling a load will I be alright starting out in 2nd instead of 1st? Also at what RPM's do most of you shift at? I usually shift it at around 2000 RPMs as long as I am not having to get out in traffic. Again thanks for the welcome.
Old 10-13-2003, 07:01 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 153 Likes on 119 Posts

There was a thread recently on what gear everybody starts in. With no load on the level I always start in 2nd. Only use first in heavy, very slow traffic or with a heavy load. If I am accelerating hard I shift at around 3000 rpm. Otherwise at around 2000-2500 rpm.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:37 AM

Welcome Bradley.

You will find there is a little more maintenance owning a diesel truck. It requires more oil (3gal) and fuel filter changes a little more often than a gas truck. Cold weather also requires a little more attention but other than that, just drive and enjoy your new machine.

I am an auto guy so I can not speak about the six shooter. I wanted one but the boss told me no. :'( She said she want to be able to drive it. Wonder why?

After owning a diesel for a little over year now, I will never own another gas powered truck.

goat
Old 10-24-2003, 07:58 PM
Muted User

I have no doubt you will love your new truck.

I never owned a diesel before, and am getting used to it. I love everything about my 2003 from the way it looks, to gas mileage to performance to space inside.

What a great truck.

Have owned three vehicles in my life that I really loved: 55 Chevy, 68 Mustang convertible, and my Dodge Ram diesel.
Old 10-26-2003, 11:58 AM

I firmly believe the longer you own your new truck the more you will grow to love it. I am very tickled with my truck. There is a wealth of info here about your truck. Take some time and look around, you won't regret it.
Congrats Jason
Old 10-26-2003, 12:03 PM

One offer of a suggestion for a newby...go and purchase, yes I said purchase, a DC Service Manual for your truck. Spend hours reading it and getting to know your truck. It will save you a ton of money in the long run and even if you take your truck in for service, at least your knowledgeable about what the service guy is telling you.

I don't want to brand any service people as shady as most are very honest people, but the one dishonest one you may get could cost you hundreds or thousands more than you should have to pay. I've done this with all six of the diesels I've owned in my life and they've paid for themselves time and time again. Now I do all of my own maintenance and repairs so that I know they're done correctly, with the best parts and materials available, and for the least amount of cost.

Old 10-27-2003, 06:45 AM

Bradley,
Welcome to the club! It does take a little getting use to, but once you do, you will never even consider going back to gas :P. Now that mine is well broken in, I find it quite comfortable to start out in 2nd will pulling my boat (about 7500 lbs). The only time I use 1st is on the boat ramp where I just gently let out the clutch while I ease up on the brake and the Cummins will just idle up the ramp with no protest at all ;D .

The Boss Hog
(haze grey and underway ;D)