3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

My email from Cummins says no need for fuel additives

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My email from Cummins says no need for fuel additives

After reading many discussions on rather to use additives and what kind and tests I have read on here. I found it neccessary to email Cummins on this and here is their reply.

You have contacted Cummins Inc. at our Customer Assistance Center in Columbus, Indiana. This is our worldwide headquarters and has been our home since Clessie Cummins founded the company, here, in February of 1919.
This year marks our 90th anniversary in business and we will continue to work to provide the kind of products and service that will keep us in business for another 90 years.

Lubricity is the fuel quality that prevents or minimizes wear in diesel fuel injection equipment. Diesel lubricity is largely provided by trace levels of naturally occurring compounds in the fuel that form a protective layer on metal surfaces.

In order to meet the Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) specifications, refineries now utilize processes that not only reduce the sulfur content of diesel blend components, but also remove compounds that provide lubricity.
This has led to some concern that ULSD fuel might result in lubricity problems for fuel injection equipment.

Should you be concerned about the fuel lubricity for your Cummins Turbo Diesel engine? The answer is no.

All diesel fuel sold in the U.S. since January 2005 must meet a fuel lubricity specification established by the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM). Any fuel lubricity additives necessary to meet this new specification are added by the fuel suppliers before the fuel hits the pumps. So you do not need to add fuel lubricity additives to your highway diesel fuel.

We are happy to provide information and assistance to our customers, however, our distributors and dealers are our primary points of sales and are the proper place to inquire about availability and prices of Cummins products.

To locate the nearest Cummins-authorized Dealer or Distributor Service Provider call our toll free customer assistance line 1-800-DIESELS
(343-7357) or for computer assistance in locating a Service Provider, use Cummins Service Locator, which can be found on Cummins website:

http://wsl.cummins.com/ServiceLocato...n=showworldmap

We occasionally misunderstand a question. If our answer to your communication looks like we have misunderstood your e-mail please reply with further inquiry.

Please let us know if you have other questions and if away from your computer or have a time-critical request that needs more urgent attention, feel free to call us toll-free (from North America) on 1-800-DIESELS (343-7357).

Cummins Email (via webpage):

http://www.cummins.com/cmi/content.j...33&menuIndex=7

Customer Assistance Center
Cummins, Inc.
Columbus, Indiana, USA

=============================

: Hello, I recently purchased an 06 Dodge Ram 2500 with the 5.9 Cummins and was reading on several dodge ram websites concerning gas additives. I am very confused as to if at all I should be using a gas additive. The gas at the stores here in San Antonio mostly have the ULSD fuel and it seems its not very good for the 5.9 engine from what I have read. Can you tell me if I should be using an additive and if so what do you suggest? I dont want to damage my engine in anyway. Thanks in advance for your reply. Wayne
Old 08-17-2009, 12:45 PM

Wayne,
I'm wondering what would happen if you sent another question commenting on injector failure in regard to fuel quality?
I just cant see that a large number of factory truck have injector failures outside of the box (what would be considered a common failure).
Injector life cycle IMO is determined by rail pressures, operating temps, fuel quality and fuel supply?
Hopefully someone will speak up with some knowledge in regards to fuel quality and lubricity and the life of the injector.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:48 PM

Wanye, Would it be okay if I copied your post to another website so some other folks can view the reply from cummins?
Old 08-17-2009, 02:00 PM

Sure, anything to help. Place their comments anywhere you like. I just emailed Cummins again on the injector issue but it took about a week to get a reply on the last email so we will see what they have to say.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why don't we here about OTR truck having injector go out do to lack of lube in the fuel? My brother inlaw and his wife drive OTR, there 04 truck has a Cummins made for LSD and have yet to have a single injector problem in the past 4 years and they drive 900+ miles per day 6 days a week. I think using quality fuel along with a 5 micron or smaller fuel filter helps prevent injector problems better then using poor fuel and 10 micron fuel filter.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:15 PM

I agree that a better filter 5 or 3 Mic would be a big help. We do see some of the same issues with OTR trucks, but much less frequently! We've got all these opinions on why they fail without a solution to prevent it. Is it possible its the injector design itself? One of the main reasons less problems are seen with a OTR truck is simple...they get better and cleaner fuel. Most truck stops are for one more regulated by the EPA and have many more customers. It's proven that they have better and cleaner tanks than most small locations!
The fuel delivery and return is also somewhat different!
Old 08-17-2009, 03:59 PM

As far as fuel filters go, the cummins dealer here sells the 7 micron filter which I get until I get the 2 micron fuel system installed on my truck. I too believe good fuel is the key but no way to tell where they sell good or bad fuel.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:10 PM

So the tough part is human nature, you want to add lubricants because it will make you feel better.

Will your trucks paint last 10 years if all you do is wash it once a week. = YES

Will your truck paint last 10 years if all you do is wash/wax it? = YES

what's the difference, the difference is when you wax it, it will look better.

What do lubricants do? In the case of starting up your engine at a cold temp, synthetics (or thinner weights) will flow faster to keep wear to a minumum, so in that aspect yes it's great. What if you had a pre-luber, then use regular oil.

does more lubricant's help? problably not

Do more lubrican'ts hurt? NO

Does a 1lb loaf of bread fill you up = (well depends) but yes

Does a 1lb lobster fill you up? = Yes

But I'd rather eat lobster.

Simple answer is having more lubricant in the fuel can not hurt (as long as it can combust) can running regular diesel hurt? No there is adiquat supply of it in the fuel. Is 325hp enough for most people yes. Is it enough for members of this site = NO. Does it mean 325 is wrong, no.

It's all based on human nature, and I agree it can't hurt to run more lubricant. What a lot of "lubes" do is add other things, anti gel, boost cetain, so there is more to them than just "lube" yes if they mix number 1/2 it should be good in winter. I go to maine at -20, anti gel gives me a bit more confidence.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:10 PM

Cummins doesn't say it's not an issue. They say don't be concerned;nice spin :>). I may be wrong, but I think the OTR ISX engines are not CRD. My nephew is an OTR driver and says they recycle engine drain oil through the fuel tanks. A driver that delivers diesel for the Flying J said they don't alsways put the additive package in the tank. Even if this is BS, I will continue to put lubrication additive in my fuel.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:03 PM

[QUOTE= A driver that delivers diesel for the Flying J said they don't alsways put the additive package in the tank. Even if this is BS, I will continue to put lubrication additive in my fuel.[/QUOTE]

The driver does not add the additive package, the computer at the loading rack does.
The driver swipes a card and then tells the computer that he needs "flying J diesel".The computer then loads the truck with diesel and adds the "fllying J" brand additives as the fuel is being put on the truck...This is the ONLY way that Flying J can call it their fuel.
A driver can also load a generic fuel but it's the same exact diesel as any other but without a company specific additive package.Even generic fuel has to meet minimum standards for additives and if a driver delivers a load without those minimum amounts the company he hauls for can get in pretty big trouble. There is alot of paperwork associated with a load of fuel;that paperwork shows how much additive was injected at the loading rack, so if the station or fuel hauler ever get audited by weights and mesures they WILL get caught and the fines are heavy.
I hauled fuel for over a year and believe me the company I worked for ( as well as most others) are VERY strict abouty making sure the fuel is up to snuff.
Most fuel related problems I've seen are due to poor storage at the station, example: leaky tank lids, leaking tanks, lack of maintenance such as changing strainers,filters etc...
Old 08-17-2009, 05:15 PM

Good info to know...
Old 08-17-2009, 05:25 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cummins also had statements that the KDP is a myth and not an issue to be concerned with.. However if you read here its a very common catastrophic type failiure. Oh and you can order a "KDP" kit from Cummins.. Hmmmmmm.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:29 PM

I dont know about the KDP kit but I take it they fixed that on the gen 3's.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:08 PM

Here's a post from Heath, He's very well known with amsoil and extremely knowledgable in the fuel treatment area.
Here's his comments posted from elsewhere (hope theres no problem with that) Diesel Fuel

AMSOIL did a sample survey of diesel fuels across the US, Canada, and Mexico to show the variation in fuels and the importance of additives. Fuels can vary in particulate matter, cetane levels, bio percentages, and sulfur content.
Cetane can vary from 40 to 60, ideal being around 50 for more efficient combustion.
The sulfur content of fuels has fallen in recent years. Now all highway fuels are required to be 15ppm or less. Most fuels tested actually were found in the 1-2ppm level, showing there is very little lubricity in today's fuels, which can shorten the life of the pump and injectors.
Biodiesel has gained popularity and does help add lubricity back into the fuels, but it can be hard to tell if a pump has any bio or what percentage it might be. If it contains 5% or less, there is no requirement to even state that on the pump. For 6-20%, the pump just has to say it contains bio, but does not have to specify the percentage.
All this variation just emphasizes the importance of treating the fuel to help the engine run more efficiently and give it longer life.

With all the variation out there, if my adding another $6 to $200 worth of fuel may help, then I'm gonna do it.

Read more: http://www.dieselbombers.com/alterna...#ixzz0OUaAEbFp

I'll also be posting a writeup that stanadyne did, If anyones interested in the information stanadyne has available regarding fuel issues. I've got some information they sent me, I'll be glad to mail that to anyone! just post yout address.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:21 PM

Amsoil's fuel survey called it like it is - too much variation and too little lubricity in most cases. If that information about the too low of a lubricity content doesn't make a HUGE statement that you would certainly want to take into consideration, then I do not know what it would take to make the point. There have been many fuel samples taken by many different additive companies, pretty much all of them concluded the lubricity was low.

I add XPD, will continue to add XPD. I would rather add something to compensate than get short-changed on injector life or pump life. The CP3 and injectors are MUCH more expensive than the XPD. I use both of their formulas - summer and winter.

CD

Quick Reply: My email from Cummins says no need for fuel additives