3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

manual lumbar broke, any suggestions

Old 01-03-2008, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
manual lumbar broke, any suggestions

My manual lumbar broke at 36060 and the dealer is being an a hole and will not fix,even though I have no other claims of warranty on this truck so I tore down my self and found a white plastic corkscrew looking piece with the end broke. the dealer says the only way to get it is to buy the whole seat back for $400.oo. I do not see how thats possible, 400 for a 2.00 part. I found the section to fix the power lumbars, but none on manual. any help is greatly appreciated, I am driving around with the seat cover off now.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:07 AM

www.innertruck.com/lumbarrepair/ How about this. OOPs may not work on a manual lumbar and I was so proud I remembered that url.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:15 PM

I would contact the factory rep...or try a different dealer. The first dealer I went to would not replace the rear glass, it is dis-coloring above and below the slider. I had 35K+ miles on her. The second dealer, who I bought it from, said we can warranty that, just get her in here before 39,000 and I will work with you. They are still out there...good dealers that is.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:04 PM

Mine also had that little white piece break. I took my truck to the shop 3 weeks ago just before my 36000 mile ran out, and they said they had to order parts from the mfg. They called last week and said the parts were in. Taking it in Monday for the new parts. I will try and get them to tell me who the mfg is and get there name so you can order the parts.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:41 PM

Pete you are correct, they were great at first, and I never had a single problem out of the truck. at about 35500 miles, I tryed to dream up any problems to fix by 36000 and nothing till 36060 and bam, lumbar broke and I talked to the service dept and manager and they say they have no give or flex on interior parts warranty so now at 39000 I am trying to fix myself.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by dodchall70
Mine also had that little white piece break. I took my truck to the shop 3 weeks ago just before my 36000 mile ran out, and they said they had to order parts from the mfg. They called last week and said the parts were in. Taking it in Monday for the new parts. I will try and get them to tell me who the mfg is and get there name so you can order the parts.
Dodchall70 that would be awsome to get a mfg name. I know there is no way you have to buy a 400.oo seat back to get the 2.00 part to fix my seat in 2 minutes. any help is greatly appreciated to get my seat fixed. thanks howard

if i dont have much luck, i might be tempted to go rent a dodge truck for the day.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:09 PM

Eaither that dealer is just being a butt or the service dept is on restriction as the one near me told me he has self approval for up to 1 year or 12,000 miles past the 3/36 on anything.Call Chrysler and see what they say.1-800-992-1997
Old 01-07-2008, 01:49 PM

Well, I got mine fixed today. The service writer said he did not know where to order the part from. I tried to talk with the parts guy, but they were to busy and I had to get going. You might just try and go to the dealers parts dept and maybe they will order for you. I guess I forgot how nice it was to have that Lumbar control.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just replaced the exact same thing in my dad's '05 2 weeks ago. You actually can't get just the white plastic spinner piece as it has the little metal rod going through it and no way to remove/reinstall. You actually need to go to the parts counter and get the manual lumbar assembly, it should run about $75. It will be the tan colored plastic strip with perpendicular ribs on it that move forward and backward to make the lumbar support work. Sorry I can't think of any better way to describe it, but as soon as you take the seat fabric off and see the assembly you will know what I am talking about. Anyway, it just quarter-turn locks into both sides of the seat frame and the end caps screw back on with the 2 screws for each cap on the outside of the seat frame. I had that part laying around the shop for at least 3 months thinking it was going to be something I was going to have to take to the dealer. I finally just decided to give it a try and it only ended up taking 20 minutes to swap out with nothing more than a phillips head screwdriver needed. Hope this helps, and try to stay away from Mac Haik. I've haven't heard a satisfied customer come out of their service department in months. Same goes for Cantwell Chrysler in Kingsville. Believe it or not, Love Dodge in Alice has been doing me excellently since I have been dealing with them. I was truly surprised, as customer service is a bad word in this town...
Old 01-09-2008, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by dodchall70
Well, I got mine fixed today. The service writer said he did not know where to order the part from. I tried to talk with the parts guy, but they were to busy and I had to get going. You might just try and go to the dealers parts dept and maybe they will order for you. I guess I forgot how nice it was to have that Lumbar control.
dodchall70 thanks for trying, i think i will try another dealer.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by BroncoHound
I just replaced the exact same thing in my dad's '05 2 weeks ago. You actually can't get just the white plastic spinner piece as it has the little metal rod going through it and no way to remove/reinstall. You actually need to go to the parts counter and get the manual lumbar assembly, it should run about $75. It will be the tan colored plastic strip with perpendicular ribs on it that move forward and backward to make the lumbar support work. Sorry I can't think of any better way to describe it, but as soon as you take the seat fabric off and see the assembly you will know what I am talking about. Anyway, it just quarter-turn locks into both sides of the seat frame and the end caps screw back on with the 2 screws for each cap on the outside of the seat frame. I had that part laying around the shop for at least 3 months thinking it was going to be something I was going to have to take to the dealer. I finally just decided to give it a try and it only ended up taking 20 minutes to swap out with nothing more than a phillips head screwdriver needed. Hope this helps, and try to stay away from Mac Haik. I've haven't heard a satisfied customer come out of their service department in months. Same goes for Cantwell Chrysler in Kingsville. Believe it or not, Love Dodge in Alice has been doing me excellently since I have been dealing with them. I was truly surprised, as customer service is a bad word in this town...
broncohound thanks for the tip, the way you describe the part is exactly what i need, took me 20 minute too but dealer will not get me part. i will try to find me a new dealer and I might have to try for a 05, maybe the 06 is not available for 75.00 without buying the seatback for 400.00. would you have a part # by chance?thanks again howard.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by H BROWN
broncohound thanks for the tip, the way you describe the part is exactly what i need, took me 20 minute too but dealer will not get me part. i will try to find me a new dealer and I might have to try for a 05, maybe the 06 is not available for 75.00 without buying the seatback for 400.00. would you have a part # by chance?thanks again howard.

probably not, as i think i threw the tag away with the old lumbar strip when i replaced them, but i will look tomorrow anyway. if not, i need to go by the dealer here in the next couple of days, i will ask for the part number from them.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:09 AM

Unfortunately, H Brown, it seems your dealership is correct. I spoke with my dealership yesterday and apparently the 06+ seats require you to buy the entire seat back to replace the lumbar support. I suppose in the next year or two, if you need a new air filter, Dodge will just expect you to buy a whole new pickup to get one...
Old 01-12-2008, 05:48 AM

On all lumbar supports they say entire seat back.You need to know whom the supplier is.Possable the parts REP knows etc.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:09 AM

I recently leaned too hard back into the seat to stretch and mine broke as well. I'd love to get it fixed but not for 75.00 let alone 400.00. Keep us posted on what you find.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: manual lumbar broke, any suggestions