3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

manual lumbar broke, any suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If had the same piece break. I went to the dealer and they had it the next day. Find another dealer.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:42 PM

I can safely state this part # = 1-05166079aa will work on an 04... I replaced mine today - took about 30 minutes. I think it took me longer to figure out how to get the fabric unhooked and lifted up than replacing the actual part... My dealer did not know this part would work for an 04 - they originally told me the whole seat back would need to be replaced for around $300. I asked them to look up the part # listed above and they had one in stock, but their system said it'd only work on an 05 or 06... $59 including tax.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BroncoHound
I just replaced the exact same thing in my dad's '05 2 weeks ago. You actually can't get just the white plastic spinner piece as it has the little metal rod going through it and no way to remove/reinstall. You actually need to go to the parts counter and get the manual lumbar assembly, it should run about $75. It will be the tan colored plastic strip with perpendicular ribs on it that move forward and backward to make the lumbar support work. Sorry I can't think of any better way to describe it, but as soon as you take the seat fabric off and see the assembly you will know what I am talking about. Anyway, it just quarter-turn locks into both sides of the seat frame and the end caps screw back on with the 2 screws for each cap on the outside of the seat frame. I had that part laying around the shop for at least 3 months thinking it was going to be something I was going to have to take to the dealer. I finally just decided to give it a try and it only ended up taking 20 minutes to swap out with nothing more than a phillips head screwdriver needed.
What makes me angry is that the "white plastic spinner piece" is the "weak-link" and will break again when replaced. It's highly unlikely that they have "beefed-up" or "enhanced" that part so it will just break again.

I decided to just forget about fixing it and purchased a Thermarest Lumbar Cushion for $30 - much easier and much cheaper! And it works!
Old 09-27-2011, 10:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by unbob
What makes me angry is that the "white plastic spinner piece" is the "weak-link" and will break again when replaced. It's highly unlikely that they have "beefed-up" or "enhanced" that part so it will just break again.

I decided to just forget about fixing it and purchased a Thermarest Lumbar Cushion for $30 - much easier and much cheaper! And it works!
You can fix your lumbar cheaper than that pillow you want to buy. Look for "Lumbar Support / Air vent" I did a write-up for a fix-it. It's post #12. I hope you can save some money going this route.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:16 PM

I just replaced the driver side manual lumbar oem part 05166079AA on my 2007. Took about 45 minutes.

Move the seat all the way forward and tilt the seat back all the way forward towards the steering wheel. This makes access to the adjustment **** area easy. Remove the adjustment handle black outer bezel and white inner bezel, two screws each. Work the white bezel out from behind the upholstry...it will come out with alittle manuevering. Undo the plastic seat cover connection strip located under the seat back between the under side of the upper seat back and upper side of the lower seat cushion. Sorta tight but your hands and fingers will fit. Once this attachment strip is unhooked, simply lift and roll the seat cover upholstry upwards and you will expose the cheezy lumbar mechanism on the backside of the seat back. Each end of the lumbar part twists and locks/unlocks into small steel brackets attached to the either side of the seat frame. Remove each end by turning/twisting and install new one by repeating the same in the opposite direction. Replace seat cover to original position, replace the bezels and the **** and you are done. Dealer wanted to charge me 3 hours of book labor...over $400 plus when all said and done. It is very easy and self discriptive once you see it. Do it yourself, save the $$.

Here is a pic of the part. The black end is were the adjustment **** attaches thru the bezels

manual lumbar broke, any suggestions-dcp_2174.jpg
The following users liked this post:
Chip Dyer (12-30-2018)
Old 07-25-2012, 01:30 PM

Mine broke too and I got the 06-07 lumbar support and installed it. The support is different from my 04 and it didn't seem to have as much support as the original. So I just switched the adjusting srew piece and put it on my 04 support. It feels like it did before still under $50
Old 10-11-2012, 11:49 AM

It seems like the kit P/N 05166079AA will work on 03-08. It's too bad that you have to spend $50 to get the one piece that will put the puzzle back together again. The new screw adjuster does not appear to be updated either. It looks like the same injection molded part, which means that it will fail just like the original piece.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:24 PM

I can't believe this. This thread JUST arrived in my emails. As I JUST used the POWER Lumbar support in my 2009 1500 in the last two hours for about the 6th time since 2009. It BROKE! I heard a SNAP and now it ratchets like a machine gun. I've hardly ever touched the button for the darn thing before. Years go by and the same darn things are issues year after year.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Roest
It seems like the kit P/N 05166079AA will work on 03-08. It's too bad that you have to spend $50 to get the one piece that will put the puzzle back together again. The new screw adjuster does not appear to be updated either. It looks like the same injection molded part, which means that it will fail just like the original piece.
Originaly the part number would have been 05166079, then first modification would be AA then AB on and on, so if I remember right Its been moded one time.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Jerry
Originaly the part number would have been 05166079, then first modification would be AA then AB on and on, so if I remember right Its been moded one time.
Well, I don't claim to be an expert on Mopar part numbers but I just picked up lumber repair kit P/N 05166079AA and the parts are the same parts that came out of my 06 Ram. Same looking, same mold numbers, same plastic. The imfamous white part that breaks is EXACTLY the same in the repair kit. Bottom line....this repair kit has no improvements......thus, this will fail as well.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:54 PM

Here's a pic of the new piece. It's exactly the same as the one that broke. Time to solve the problem once and for all.
Attached Thumbnails manual lumbar broke, any suggestions-000_0002.jpg  
Old 10-19-2012, 10:57 AM

What model years use this white part in their lumbar support?
Old 10-19-2012, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Roest
What model years use this white part in their lumbar support?
AFAIK, 2002-2008 half tons and 2003-2009 HD's. All the third gen seats have the same type manual lumbar, despite the seat style change in '06. Not sure on the 4th gens though.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:42 PM

My lumbar in my 06 works when I turn the ****; but then as I drive a mile or two further, the support releases somehow. Anyone else have this prob? It's like the lumbar support loses support as I drive along. The **** works, support won't stay.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:22 PM

Sounds like it must be slipping. Or the threads are either worn out or starting to break. Open her up and take a look.

Quick Reply: manual lumbar broke, any suggestions