3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Locked out of 2006 AGAIN!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Locked out of 2006 AGAIN!

This is the 3rd time I have had the truck magicly lock the doors when I get out after starting it to warm up!

Start truck. Parking brake set, in neutral (obviously). Idling.... doors unlocked.

Get out close door and zink... doors lock all by themselves! What the he double L?

Thought it may have been me the fist time... 2nd time I was more sure it was not me... 3rd time I KNOW it was not me!

Is this happening to anyone else? LOL MUST be the Smarty (for the smarty bashers) LOL

But seriously Any way to disable this NASTY "feature" our computerized truck "helps" us with?

I WISH the computer did not do the lights, radio, door locks, fasten seat belt, clutch in to start, and a host of other HONK HONK BS ... I did FINE for 35 years w/o the assistance of a computer taking over control of my TRUCK!!!.

I think I HAVE to get a hide a key for the door.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:02 AM

Since the first time you brought this up, I have been leaving my window down during warm-ups just in case my truck does the same thing. What a PITA.

You'd think that this COULD be something programmable like the seatbelt chime, etc. I agree with you, I did fine for 35+ years too, these things SHOULD be controllable and at least our choice to use/implement, turn on or off.

The only thing that is OURS is the payments, otherwise we are dictated to by others and their ideas of how our trucks should be according to their ideas and needs. Things that should be optional choices are not, things that are not really needed come packaged, make no sense to me, but we must live by them/with them.

CD
Old 02-02-2007, 09:56 AM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Do you have an alarm system on the truck? My 02 locks the doors soon as I start it up, if any door is open it won't lock until I close the door.

Is it neutral related? The doors lock at 15mph if I'm not mistaken, maybe the idle increase acts as a bypass for the speedometer if you're in neutral?

I leave mine in Park and have never had it happen?
Old 02-02-2007, 10:42 AM

I put mine in neutral and kick the high idle up and have never had the doors lock on me. I'm going to get a spare for my wallet just in case it does though. Thanks for the warning.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:03 AM

Cool

I would reset the auto door lock configuration and see what happens then.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:39 AM

If it is happening upon closing the door, it may be a loose switch or wire. Has it locked while you were in the truck when you closed the door?
Old 02-02-2007, 12:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DrDiesel
I would reset the auto door lock configuration and see what happens then.
Isn't this procedure in the owners manual?
Old 02-02-2007, 12:21 PM

use both keys.....i leave one key in it and lock the door with the other and take my key with me
Old 02-02-2007, 12:24 PM

Wink

Originally Posted by TonyB
Isn't this procedure in the owners manual?
Yes it is....
Old 02-02-2007, 12:29 PM

See for me I use 2 keys cause I lock it up while its warming up...

If this is such an issue Ill gladly swap you my manual locks for your PL any day....lol
Old 02-02-2007, 01:19 PM

that wierd cuz the the power door lock button on mine doesnt work when the doors opened
Old 02-02-2007, 01:25 PM

If you leave a key in the ignition, you are begging for trouble. The right way to go is have an auto start alarm system installed.. You can start it from inside the house and the run time is programable.. I like the prestige brand by audiovox myself
Old 02-02-2007, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by jurish
If you leave a key in the ignition, you are begging for trouble.

Why do you say this? I have left mine run and gotten out and closed the door and not had it lock the doors on me. Also that is why I spent $1.00 at wall mart to have a spare key cut and carry it in my other pocket just in case I ever did lock my keys in the truck.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
This can be an issue on any vehicle with electric door locks. I've seen it too many times. If I leave the vehicle running I always roll down the drivers side window where I can get to the locks if needed. But I almost never do this. If you have a dog in the truck they can hit the lock button and there you are. Locked out. Saw a many a vehicle get pulled into a bay when I was a mechanic with the engine running or off and see the doors lock with the keys in it and the tech 2 steps away.

If you shut the door and it locks you probably have a bad master switch in the driver door. Easy to duplicate just roll the window down or have a spare key in hand.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:12 PM

I don't have a key-ring with any keys when the ignition key is being used. The remote and remainder of keys (key-ring) is on my person when I'm operating the truck...So if I want to let the truck warm up, I lock the doors with the remote.

And I also have a spare key (but from Home Depot) in my wallet.

Quick Reply: Locked out of 2006 AGAIN!