3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Lemon law buy-back for vibe????

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 04:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lemon law buy-back for vibe????

A friend of a co-worker recently got DC to do a buyback of his 04.5 SB auto 4x4 based on the 70mph vibe. They convinced him to purchase another CTD. He drove something like 9 other automatics and they all vibrated. Then, he drive a 6spd which didn't vibe so he took that one.

He interpreted the fact that their willingness to buy his truck back was an admission of sorts that the vibe is just something we automatic owners have to live with.

I've heard that there is an aluminum drive shaft fix on the way. But, there were plenty of other rumors out there.

Do you think those that have the vibe are going to have to choose between living with it or going the lemon-law route?

Neil
Old 11-09-2004, 05:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C'mon guys! Am I the only one who still has the 70mph vibe problem?

Do you think DC is really going to come up with a fix or are we going to have to choose between living with it or battling with DC over a buy-back like this fellow did?

Neil
Old 11-09-2004, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear shaft got sent out to be balanced... Front shaft got replaced... Vibe still there. Have to take the truck in between 8a-4p (not during 11a-1p) on a sunny/clear day to have a mech ride and verify it's still there.... Don't they test drive after the repairs are performed to very it's fixed what am I thinking.... I'm getting ticked bout this too... They recognize there is a prob but are stalling to fix it. Truck was in the shop 11 days for the driveshaft balance/swap... Needless to say I checked the "very dissatisfied" box for the dealer being considerate of my time.

I want an Al driveshaft!!!!!
Old 11-10-2004, 08:58 AM

I had a vibe at 70mph. All the universal joints on the drive shaft and the front drive plus a front differential bearing and seal were replaced and no vibration or at least very little vibration. K.S.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:03 AM

Mine had it bad when it was delivered. I test drove a couple from the dealership and had the one I wanted brought in from another dealership. It's under warranty right? If anything was wrong they'd jump right on it. The man that delivered it was very evasive. Then the guy who did the PDI said, "this one vibrates". The service writer agreed and started to order a drive shaft. Service manager said no it's normal. We had a shouting match in the driveway of the service dept and he agreed to swap the driveshaft from another truck. I noticed a difference right away. Gone was the "yumyumyum" at 55mph and the 68mph peak of the vibration was reduced to the point my wife doesn't notice it unless I point it out. But it's there and I know it's not right and it bugs the mess out of me.
Dodge has treated my good with several vehicles including four Dodge Cummins. This latest treatment will be the end of my relationship with Dodge. I searched the dealerships last night to no avail for a GM 6.0 gas or Ford F-250 V-10. When I find one with similar options I want, this one's gone.
Old 11-11-2004, 05:47 PM

I had both my front and rear shafts replaced and it still had the vib, the front shaft was replaced the second time and my vibes are gone.
Old 11-11-2004, 05:55 PM
Chapter President

I've still got it too. My service man wanted to do a $100+ special tire balancing deal and I said no. He completely ignored any idea that it's the drivetrain. I'll sign any petition that might start. B/C I'M SICK OF THE VIBE AND DODGE INGORING US. that being said I love my truck... hate the vibe and service people.

my .02
Jamie
Old 11-11-2004, 06:00 PM

I'm going to trade it in on a long bed or a dually after the first of the year when I get another employer discount. I can't afford to do it right now
So, I'll just have to keep the miles off it, or at least as low as I can get it.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:56 PM

vib

was just at the dodge dealership yesterday for the vib problem.
they said it"s normal for the 2004.5 diesel and said they wouldn"t do anything about it,,it"s not that bad,i wouldn"t have noticed it if i didn"t read about it in this forum,,still,,it"s not right, a trucks drive shaft shouldn"t vibrate, this is my 3rd ram, got rid of the last one (2001) cause i didn"t trust the tranny and it got horrible mileage, wasn"t gonna buy another ram,,but i wanted a cummins,
really expected them to do something about it,,wonder what they are gonna tell me when i trade it in???
haven't decided what to do yet, maybe try another dealership and see what they say
Old 11-11-2004, 08:15 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 04 that I drove yesterday had the vibe. I picked up right away on it as soon as I got on the interstate and he said it was normal too. There is nothing normal about a vibration like that and I feel it will only lead to a very expensive component failure down the road. That would keep me from buying the 04 because I had a POS Toyota that did the same thing and I dumped it.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:53 AM

Any 6 Shooter vibrators out there??????? What about '05 trucks??

I wish DC would learn to put lock-out hubs on heavy-duty trucks like ferd, prolly fix a bunch a potential problems. Seems like a waste turning all that stuff for no reason.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:59 AM

I have an 03 6sp QC LB. I have a vibration so bad it feels like a u-joint that is missing the rollers out of the end caps. The vibration is between 52-68 mph. It is also nothing that you can stand. I dread every morning I have to drive the truck to work, since I am doing 55-60mph most of the time.

I just bought the truck used about 3 weeks ago. I thought it was the tires, but I had them balanced and it is not. I also work for a company that have a professional driveline shop, so I am tearing the rear driveshaft out, and going to check the balance and u-joints. I am going to do the front also, but we are waiting on a special adapter for the balancing machine, since AAM uses different adapters than Dana or the other manufacturers. So hopefully I will figure something out.

The weird thing is my local dealer, who I am friends with the service manager just pulled the rear shaft and had us check balance, and the joints. The shaft was perfect, nothing wrong with it. I was hoping to find out some info to solve my problems? The truck is an 05 dually, not sure if it is an auto or stick? It has a vibe so bad it will about shake you out of the truck! I guess thier next step is to try the rear yoke, hopefully it will tell them something.

Hopefully I can figure something out, if I do I will keep you posted.

Bill
Old 11-12-2004, 07:19 AM

See if yours has had the TSB on the updated(weighted)powersteering hose.Took care of MY vibration.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:06 AM
Administrator

The frequency of the vibration in the brand new one I drove was way too high to be a tire frequency. It is something spinning at higher speeds than a tire.

I would definately be interested in what fahlguy finds out on the vibe data. I believe it needs to be taken on the truck like on a lift or something to get an actual true representation of what is going on. Data from several locations needs to be taken under installed conditions to see if there is some sort of misalignment of the drive line or what ever. Vibe pick ups need to be installed on the center support bearing, the rear of the trans, and the front of the pumpkin to see where it is worse.

I never got to do that on that POS Toyota I had, I took a $4000 loss to get rid of it because they kept telling me the same thing. It is normal for these trucks. They also told me it was normal for the front tires to wear on the inside and 5000 miles.

I am going ot see if the dealer can get me a six speed to drive to see if it does it on them. That vibration has scared me away from the autos for sure.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by Hounddog
See if yours has had the TSB on the updated(weighted)powersteering hose.Took care of MY vibration.
Not to be taken negative but that sounds like a bandaid to me.

Quick Reply: Lemon law buy-back for vibe????