3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

LED tail lights on a flatbed

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LED tail lights on a flatbed

I just put a flat bed on my truck and installed four LED Tail/Stop lights and two LED clearance lights. Now every time I turn on the turn signal or press the brake I get an audio signal tone from under the dash. I suspect the tone is telling me that it thinks I have a light out. Does anyone know how to get this tone from toning?
Old 02-14-2008, 11:20 PM

hmm... thats a real tuffy... but it would say lamp out on the dash if that is the case.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:56 AM

Vjjr: I can see no indicator on the dash that indicates a light is out. As soon as I disconnected the lights from the pickup bed the tone started beeping and I thot when I hooked up the lights for the flat bed it would stop but it didn't. I am going to ask the dealer this morning and I'll get back to you if I find an answer.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:19 AM

Check your manual and find out exactly what kind of indication you are supposed to get with a lamp out. If the tone really is indicating a lamp out, and isn't some form of aberration, then you may have to wire a small bulb type lamp or a resistor in parallel with the LEDs in order to get the circuit to draw enough current to silence the alarm.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:30 AM

TreeFarm makes a good point. You might need to install a load equalizer in your lighting circuit.
http://www.ledlight.com/detail.aspx?ID=39
https://www.accessorysourcedirect.co.../Lighting.html
You can also find load equalizers in motorcycle catalogs.
Also your fix might be as easy as changing out the flasher with an LED compatible flasher. I'm no expert on LED lights but these two things can fix these kind of problems.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:57 AM

Need a resistor

On my 01 Dodge Flatbed I installed LED's had the same problem, I ended up install resistors at each light, got them at Radio Shack, With the LED's using less juice the system thinks a bulb is out. Hope that helps you some.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:26 PM

Check superbrightleds.com . They have load equalizers and LED flashers. The LED flasher would be better, but you need to compare the pin-outs to see if there is one compatible for your truck.
http://www.superbrightleds.com/tail-brake-turn.html
Old 02-15-2008, 06:21 PM

Well, I just went to the Dodge dealer and he looked up the problem on his computer. The solution is to change from LED lights to incandescant lights. That was a huge help. I talked to him later and he found another source that said go to Radio Shack and buy 3 resistors (6 ohm, 50 watt) and wire them in series with one on the left Stop/turn wire, one on the right stop/turn wire and one on the running light wire. Does this sound right? I appreciate the previous suggestions on where to get an equilizer to solve the problem but if no one sees a problem with doing it with resistors, I'll try that first.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by johnr9q
Well, I just went to the Dodge dealer and he looked up the problem on his computer. The solution is to change from LED lights to incandescant lights. That was a huge help. I talked to him later and he found another source that said go to Radio Shack and buy 3 resistors (6 ohm, 50 watt) and wire them in series with one on the left Stop/turn wire, one on the right stop/turn wire and one on the running light wire. Does this sound right? I appreciate the previous suggestions on where to get an equilizer to solve the problem but if no one sees a problem with doing it with resistors, I'll try that first.
So called load equalizers are nothing more than resistors.

They DO NOT go in series with the LED lights. They are wired in parallel with the LEDs. Connect one end of the resistor to the hot wire feeding the light. Connect the other end to ground. Do that for each LED light circuit, left brake, right brake, and tail.

The tail might not need it, if you have enough clearance lamps.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:39 PM

I had the same problem with led bulbs in my taillights. Whoever told you about the 6 ohm 50 watt equalizer/resistor's told you right. I have one of those on each side and it solved the problem. I got them from here for $6.99 apiece maybe you can get them cheaper somewhere local? http://autolumination.com/equalizers.htm Like Treefarm says on the splicing... ....only thing to note is there are two hots along with that ground. Use a tester and make sure you are splicing into the hot that is for the "turn" signal and not the one for the running lights. Very simple and easy to do. Here is a wire diagram for resistors: http://superlumination.com/images/leds/installation.jpg