3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Laramie-Only Options

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2002, 11:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Laramie-Only Options

I've been playing around on www.dodge.com tonight building trucks for fun. It seems there are some options not available on the SLT unless you go with the Laramie, options that used to be available on the SLT.<br><br>Here are the Laramie-only features as far as I can tell (not selectable in SLT-Trim page).<br><br>~Air Conditioning with Dual Zone Temperature Control<br>~Overhead Console with Trip Computer and Universal Garage Door Opener<br>~Rearview Mirror with Auto-Dimming Feature<br>~Infinity(R) Speaker System<br>~The trim stuff like grille, body-color bump strips, badge, faux woodgrain dash<br><br>Basically what I want is the Laramie truck but without leather. I DO want leather but I want to save the $1000 or so Leather option and spend it on a Katzkin leather interior.<br><br>By the way, does the Laramie come with a leather or faux leather (aka, vinyl) rear seat???<br><br>Vaughn<br><br>
Old 10-25-2002, 11:55 PM
RLS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Laramie-Only Options

I think the rear seat is vinyl. So is the Chevy. I do not know about the Ford. I have seen the fake leather. It looks good. I do not have to sit on it so I don't care much.<br><br>I was looking at the Laramie package also. I am a little worried about the suede insert. I would hate to have water marks on it. I am waiting for the 04 to see if they change the leather. The leather with out the Laramie package does not have the suede.
Old 10-26-2002, 12:06 AM
RLS

Go to Kelly Blue book.com (kbb.com) and build a truck there. The options are a little different and you can see invoice price. I think that site is easier to use.
Old 10-26-2002, 12:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RLS, thanks. I just found the Kelley site so I'll try playing with that one.<br><br>There can be advantages to having a vinyl trimmed back seat, being that's where the kids, dogs and so forth ride (not that I have any kids or dogs but seem to haul them fairly often).<br><br>I don't like the suede insert idea, I don't have a clue how to take care of suede. If that's the case I'd prefer to go Katzkin. <br><br>I guess I'll have to go spec one out before making up my mind. If I can't delete the leather option on the Laramie package though I'll probably just get it.<br><br>Vaughn
Old 10-26-2002, 08:36 AM

I was in the same predicament! I wanted all the Laramie features EXCEPT leather. I already miss the overhead compartment for gargage door opener. And w/o the dual-zone climate control my wife will just have to suffer at 10 degrees below what she likes ;D ;D<br><br>Even w/o those features, the premium cloth seats with the SLT are very nice and I still think more practical than leather - at least judging from my wife's car that has leather and I hate it.<br><br>You still get the computer with temparature, MPG, compass, etc. so not sure what I may be missing - other than the spot for the garage door opener. And I DID get the Infinity with mine as well.
Old 10-26-2002, 10:01 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

[quote author=flamered link=board=17;threadid=6275;start=0#57760 date=1035639374]<br>You still get the computer with temparature, MPG, compass, etc. so not sure what I may be missing - other than the spot for the garage door opener. And I DID get the Infinity with mine as well.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Flamered,<br><br>There is no compartment for your garage door opener in the Laramie. There is a smart alec computer hidden in there somewhere. You use your garage door opener to program the computer in the truck. You then push the button on the console and the garage door opens. It can also be programmed to kill the security alarm in the house from the truck. Now figure that one out. I have done the garage door, but have not had the time to figure out the alarm. Pretty neat. <br><br>I was a little leary about the suede inserts too. They are pretty and I think will probably be cooler than leather. Everyone that has looked at it has ooohhed and aaahhhed over the insert. So, maybe not so bad after all. The seats are very comfortable and the lumbar adjust works as good as the Lincoln. Just love the drive for a big truck. So much smoother than the Ford and turns better than Chev. <br><br>Bob
Old 10-26-2002, 10:39 PM

I noticed in one that I test drove, that the computer read out didn't give real time milage, just average milage. The 2000 &amp; 2001 we have give real time &amp; average both. Did they change this, and if so why........ ???
Old 11-01-2002, 04:31 PM

Sittin' here daydreaming about just when my '03 will arrive and figured I'd check DC's site. Scrolling thru the spec's and then looked at the fine print...... <br><br>Anyway, noticed a couple of things; 1. The underhood light is noted as &quot;late availability&quot; :'(and 2. The rear seat is apparently true leather. :-*<br><br>Guess this answers the yippin' about the light, but for those lucky souls who have already received their babies is the rear seat in fact leather or just the old fashioned vinyl-can-it-fool-ya? [undecided]<br><br>Where oh where could my little dodge be? Oh where oh where could it be??????????
Old 11-01-2002, 08:29 PM

If you get a standard tranny that floor console is nice, several compartments one just holds my two garage door openers. If you want to have some fun with the mileage computer, here is what we did. We reset it at S. Lake Tahoe (6200' elev.) and headed for Carson City 4700' (elev.). On the way US-50 goes over a pass above 7000' (elev.). My computer started at 0 mpg quickly rose to 20.2 mpg driving along lake edge, the started dropping as we climbed until it read 16.1 at summit. After the summit it started rising rapidly until it reached 35.4 mpg at US-395 in Carson City. When we arrived back at S. Lake Tahoe average mileage round trip was 16.7 mpg.
Old 11-01-2002, 08:38 PM

Sierra<br><br>You have run enough tanks of fuel, how accurate is the computer to the real mileage per gallons figure?<br><br>Close? Or only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades?<br><br>Curious, will know in a few months when I do enough driving, but for now, just relying on my buddies here ;D<br><br>Hunter
Old 11-02-2002, 07:18 PM

Boys:<br><br>Since my tranny died, I have been studying the new 2003 Ram books. Careful examination has revealed the following items missing on my '03 Laraimie which are listed in the booklet as standard featutres:<br>-light under the hood<br>-illuminated vanity mirrors (this is for my beautiful better half :<br>-ash tray lamp<br>- driver and front passenger door have red lights which are suppose to illuminate...they don't on my truck<br><br>I just thought I would point this out to ensure DC provides these features. After all we paid for them <br><br><br>Wantabee
Old 11-03-2002, 06:22 AM

Hunter, On computer accuracy, 1102 miles towing 12.2 mpg computer reading, calculated by actual fuel used 12.0 mpg. The difference is not significant between readings as there could be a difference in how level the aprons at station islands resulting in how full the first and last tanks were. <br><br>Wantabee, some items are going away for safety reasons some due to complexity of design. Underhood light was to dim to be of serious use even for checking oil or other items. Lighted vanity mirrors should have done away with light on drivers side long ago. Drivers should not be primping while driving. Haven't you noticed that you have visors slide completely to middle of windshield making them adjustable to hide glaring sun from front seat passengers no matter what angle. (A safety consideration, the complexity of wiring a sliding visor with lighted vanity would make it a costly item.) Ash tray light, the ash tray is going the way of the dinasour. Many new vehicles don't even have them. Mine is gone and in its place is my Prodigy. Smoking drivers don't need a light to use them. If you can't find it by braille, turn on the reading lamp. Those red thingys on front doors are a safety item called reflectors. As for all these items you want, and feel they owe you, they could put them in but at what price. I believe the did an excellent job of holding the price down on the 03s. I figured out the increase in cost over a 2002 was less than $400. That is slightly over 1%. You have a new engine, greater comfort, greater hauling and towing capacity, larger and safer breaks, more aerodynamic styling. All manufacturers reserve the right to make changes in their product without oblication to their customers. I'm happy with mine without these items. ;D
Old 11-03-2002, 07:22 AM

Sierra:<br><br>I am not going to argue on the virtues of each of the listed items or their usefulness...my point is these items are listed in the 2003 Ram booklet as standard features for the Laraime...if they advertise it...I, and feel confident others, expect to receive what was advertised as included options. <br><br>I couldn't agree more on the ash tray light....but it could serve useful at night if you drop a small item on the floor and can't find it!! every little bit of light on the fllor counts at night...especially if you are looking for something under the seat!!!<br><br>Wantabee