3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Key Fob & remote start question

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 10:42 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Key Fob & remote start question

Hello;

I just brought home my first 3rd gen truck last week. So far I love it!!!

It has power windows and locks, but I did not get a key fob with the truck. I did get 4-keys but they are all copied keys; none of them are original Mopar keys.

Since it will start/run on a plain key, I believe this means my truck does not have any security or anti-theft stuff. correct?

Should my truck have come with a key fob? Did they even offer these trucks with power locks and no key fob?

I'd really like to have remote start on my truck. Any recommendations? I'm not sure this was an option from the factory. Any good recommendations for an aftermarket remote-start?

My truck is a 2003 2500 quad cab, 4x4, auto trans.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies,

--Matt
Old 02-24-2019, 02:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What model truck a Tradesman, SLT. No one will know the answer without the model. I just recently got a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT Quad Cab 4 X 4 auto trans and of course the 5.9 liter engine. Mine came with 2 key fobs and original keys. For yours the best way to find out is go to your local Dodge dealer and have them run the VIN and you might be surprised as mine had 4 open recalls. The recalls were completed before the dealer would sell it to me (a Chevy dealer BTW). The Dodge dealer can get the build sheet and it will everything listed on the truck when it was built.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:18 AM

Received 365 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikeske
go to your local Dodge dealer and have them run the VIN
You can also use the VIN Decoder on this very site, although I don't believe it will list recalls......Ben
Old 02-24-2019, 07:32 AM

Thank you both for the suggestions

Mikeske --- I'm not sure on model, it has been "de-badged" and only has the 2500 badges on it.

My truck has a power drivers seat, heat/power mirrors, power windows and locks; cloth seats, overhead console with computer and light but no storage pockets; and it does not have rear defrost or sliding rear window or fog lights

If I was guessing I would say it is an "SLT", not loaded enough to be a Laramie,but too much to be an ST

Fordzilla --- I used that VIN decoder, but it give me a drop-down to pick any trim level; I'm not sure it is telling me what trim I have

**I'll swing by my local dealer one day next week and see what they can tell me
Old 02-24-2019, 12:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
a lot of info. was on the inside of glove box door, if it wasn't removed;;
Old 02-24-2019, 12:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?gclid=CjwKCAiAnsnjBRB6EiwATkM1XivlOX_lfxzv 46AezFP7a-CymyQGpvXeS_pTZRtMmnMfNAEJxE04dhoCwKsQAvD_BwE&gcls rc=aw.ds

The link I provided you can check for recalls. If I was a betting man your truck is a SLT. It has the same equipment as my 2004 but mine came with the sliding rear window, front fogs. If your truck originally came with the key fobs and they are missing you do not have to buy them from the dealer but you can get them from a locksmith or eBay but they will have to programed and the locksmith can do it quickly and easily. That is the reason I would just simply go to the locksmith and have them program the key fobs
Old 02-24-2019, 06:43 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have an 03 with keyless entry. The alarm will arm using the key fob, by using the switch on the door, or by using the key in the door lock. Once armed, a red LED flashes near the lower right side of the tach. It will disarm with either the key fob or by using the key. Your truck sounds like an SLT, but I'm not sure if keyless entry included in the SLT package.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:03 PM

I just looked at my original window sticker. Keyless entry was not included in the SLT package. It is optional equipment under "Security Group" which includes keyless entry, security alarm, and Sentry key ($415).
The following users liked this post:
mattn124 (02-25-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 08:20 PM

Thanks all for the replies!!

Mike67RS --- based on your note I'm thinking that I do not have keyless entry. Since my truck will start/run with a plain-key; I think that the "security key" was part of the package, I'm talking about the keys with the grey portion that had some kind of chip that was detected when inserted into the steering column. In my experience with vehicles that have this they will not run wit a plain key (which is all I've got)/

I need to go by the dealer for something else anyway; I'll see what info they can dig up while I am there.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by mattn124
Thanks all for the replies!!

...I think that the "security key" was part of the package, I'm talking about the keys with the grey portion that had some kind of chip that was detected when inserted into the steering column.
Yep. Dodge calls it a Sentry Key and it is part of the Security Group Package.

Best of luck.

Mike.