3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Radio Power on key-accessory?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 07:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Radio Power on key-accessory?

Hello;

Still learning the ins/outs of my new-to-me 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD.

Something I noticed yesterday was that the radio does not have power when I turn the key to "accessory". Just to be clear, I'm talking about when you rotate the key backwards towards you. My cigar lighter port gets power when I do this, but nothing on the radio.

Every other vehicle I have even had did not do this. I always had power to the radio with the key turned to accessory in every vehicle I have ever owned.

Is this normal for my truck? Or, is the radio supposed to have power when the key is in this position?

It is a factory radio; appears to be original. AM/FM/CD, non-infinity.

I'm eventually going to swap it out for a double-din unit and add a backup camera; but that is for another thread....

Thanks for any and all replies.

--Matt
Old 03-04-2019, 08:38 AM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
IIRC, my '03 was like that too. I didn't do much sitting in the parked truck listening to music though, so just turned the key the other way when I did.
Back to morning brew . . .
Old 03-04-2019, 09:13 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have an Infinity system. It turns on in accessory position. Next weekend, I'll be installing a Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX along with a Master Tailgaters tailgate latch replacement backup camera.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:06 PM

Thanks to you both for the replies.

I just got a copy of the FSM for my truck, I'll see what it says about radio operation.

Mike67RS --- please let me know how you like this setup you are going to install. Any chance for sharing pictures? A camera in the tailgate handle wired to a new double-din radio is exactly what I want (someday). I'm curious where you run the wires into the tailgate so they won't get pinched when moving the tailgate up/down
Old 03-04-2019, 07:38 PM

UPDATE:

Just looked this up in the factory service manual (FSM) page 8A-1. "The audio system uses an ignition switched source of battery current so that the system will only operate when the ignition switch is in the RUN or ACCESSORY positions"

I'll check the fuses, but since the radio works otherwise, I'll bet it's not a fuse.

The radio has issues, several lights don't work; it's possible some problem internal in the radio. Also possible something wrong somewhere in the wiring or the ignition switch itself. Whenever I take the radio out I'll check for voltage at all the correct pins.

The dealer I just bought this from pulled the dash out to fix the HVAC doors before I bought the truck. They might not have plugged everything back in all the way or missed a ground somewhere.

Last edited by mattn124; 03-04-2019 at 07:38 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-04-2019, 09:38 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mattn124
Mike67RS --- please let me know how you like this setup you are going to install. Any chance for sharing pictures? A camera in the tailgate handle wired to a new double-din radio is exactly what I want (someday). I'm curious where you run the wires into the tailgate so they won't get pinched when moving the tailgate up/down
I'll post some pics of the install. I plan to use existing holes in the bottom of the tailgate (just right of center) and in the back of the bed to run the camera wire. I will likely run the wires through a piece of slit hose. I tested it earlier with a section of hose and it seems to work fine.

Old 03-05-2019, 07:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just an FYI, I have the same truck and radio and my radio DOES come on with the key in the accessory position.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:43 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
My truck with the OE radio for a few years used to work with the key in the accessory position. Then occasionally it would not work, no matter what I did to the key. Eventually it got progressively worse to the point that it would not work at all, although i discovered by accident that if the drivers door was open that the radio would work in the accessory position. That makes no sense, but just reporting my experience. Many years later the OE CD player died, so turfed that radio and installed a cheap after market radio that works just fine. Connected it to a keyed wire that I knew worked when the key was in the accessory position.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:46 AM

Received 365 Likes on 272 Posts
I checked my 2009 with OE radio last night...It works fine in either ignition or accessory position......Ben