3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

The Infamous HVAC Door Issue Strikes

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 08:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 04ctd
rambler, lay your head in the passenger foot well, unbolt the fan,
turn the fan on various speeds,
and report back.

sounds like fan bearings are bad, and it ain't spinning fast enuff to move air
Thanks for the suggestion 04. I think that's what's been wrong with mine. All functions work but about two tears ago it seemed like I wasn't getting as much flow plus with fan on high and AC at max, the motor would rumble some. I was thinking one of the doors was restricting it since it only sounds that way with AC on max and high speed. I'll try your test idea right after I fix the window regulators, cracked dash, headliner and all the other stuff that is self destructing at the 15 year "I'm tired" stage.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok
Dealer says doors must be calibrated?
Any truth to this?
Old 06-20-2014, 07:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quick update: changed out a faulty u-joint... and repaired the wiring for the rear door windows and locks. Did a fuel injector (#6 - what a pain). Waiting for my tail light to arrive for a quick install. And I need to do the Donaldson muffler; then the fan bearings...
Old 07-20-2014, 09:24 AM

Can some one send me a diagram of the procedure to take a dash off my 06 Cummings to fix either the blend door or the recir door
tstewart1@frontier.com
Thanks
Old 07-22-2014, 02:31 AM

Removed the A/C recirc door this evening. Thanks for the info, everyone. Couldn't take my father in law bass fishing because the fan was not working (100+ deg. days) Life is good.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Look up Heater Treater. I'm having to do this to my '06 since the warranty repair has failed and I'm not going to spend $1500 to have them fix it.

-Kris
Old 07-22-2014, 02:58 AM

I will, thanks.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:10 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Originally Posted by TJstewart
Can some one send me a diagram of the procedure to take a dash off my 06 Cummings to fix either the blend door or the recir door
tstewart1@frontier.com
Thanks
I don't have any diagrams but found that the www.heatertreater.net video for Dodge Ram gave me a little more info on checking the doors and getting to them. http://www.heatertreater.net/videos.html#ram2
Old 08-13-2014, 07:40 PM

I wish I could give ratlratl a big hug. I removed the dash and air handler box today to replace the heater and AC core. His directions in this thread were perfect. The job was much easier than I thought with his directions. In less than 3 hours I had the air box out and taken apart. I took my time and grouped each set of bolts with a note where they came from.

If I have to do it again I think I could have the air box out in 1.5 hours. The neatest thing was just removing the right side of the dash and placing it on the seat. I did not remove the dash completely out of the truck.

Again, thank you ratlratl.

Bobby
Old 08-24-2014, 08:48 PM

I have a 06 megacab and the 2 pasenger vents have restricted air flow. The defrost, floor and rear vents are ok. would that be the blend or fan door?
Old 09-09-2014, 09:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Subscribing because I have to do this again. This time to pull the leaking evap coil. If not for A/C problems, I would never have touched anything on this truck besides changing oil, etc.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by dkey
I have a 06 megacab and the 2 pasenger vents have restricted air flow. The defrost, floor and rear vents are ok. would that be the blend or fan door?

I know this is an old thread. but I have the same issue. i have replaced all the doors with heatertreater doors except the ones you cut out at heatertreaters suggestion. also i have the no cold air on the passenger side. so i guess that part is freon. if I pull the whole thing out and fix this then refill with freeze 12 or one of the hc112a variants, will i notice much of a difference?
Old 08-25-2015, 04:08 AM

I just finished pulling the dash and replacing the broken doors in my HVAC box. After putting everything back together, the AC blower motor will not come on! The blower motor worked great before pulling the dash! What could cause the AC blower motor to not work? The new blend doors are working fine. Did I miss plugging in a wire to the blower or something?

Is there a wire connection that gives power to the blower motor resistor and blower motor?
Old 08-26-2015, 04:50 AM

Found the problem. The blower motor resistor quit working. Replaced and now working fine.
Old 11-14-2015, 07:57 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Just wondering how many key starts does it take for the computer to do a recalibration test of the actuators?

I had the recirc door fail over a year ago. My blend door failed a month or so ago so I have assumed the computer detected an error and did a shut down. I replaced all 3 today. Recirc, Blend and Mode 1. Mode 1 was fine but I replaced it just because. Its working fine and the recirc is kinda working. Its not moving proper in all settings but working. The blend door simply moves to heat and that's it. testing the actuator is is strong and moves both directions. I am thinking it needs to do a recalibration. I have pulled batteries with no luck and my scan tool cannot see HVAC codes or issue a calibration reset instruction. I was just wondering how many key cycles it takes for the truck to do it on its own.

Quick Reply: The Infamous HVAC Door Issue Strikes