3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

The Infamous HVAC Door Issue Strikes

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is some fine work but way too much for me. I'll sell the POS before I do all that. Or just jurk the broken door out. BTW, no problems with HVAC doors yet.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:01 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
FWIW, on a Mega Cab, there was a Teflon bushing on the defrost/feet door.

(I think it moved a slave door, maybe the Mega blend door to control the Mega flaps?)

the Teflon will fail.

while you have it all out, cut down the stanchions that mount that motor, and remove enough length off the mounts to eliminate the Teflon bushings.

'ask me how i know'

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...r-t281733.html
Old 07-21-2011, 09:15 PM

Ok I have some really weak a/c blowing out of my vents. I checked for mode door failure and when I have it on the dash vent mode, it only blows air out the dash vents, good right! When it's on dash vents/feet it blows out those vents plus the defrost vents? When it's on the feet vents, it blows there and also the defrost vents...what gives? I also, pulled the blower motor and the recirc door seems to be good. I've attached a photo of the recirc door(sorry for the poor quality pic). So maybe I need a new blower motor?
Name:  b31e5ec8.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  32.9 KB
Old 11-23-2011, 09:18 PM

Well, I don't know where Ratl Ratl went after writing this explanation on how to take the dash out, but i'm going to attempt the fix for my recirc door. The dealer mechanic actually pulled it out and showed me what was broken.

With the part number here, I contact Chrysler Parts Center out in Kansas and they quoted the part at $38.00 plus $11.00 FEDEX. I would recommend them for parts as I did this for my leather seat and center console install.

Anyway, i'm going to try the fix as the dealer quoted $638 for the repair.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:42 PM

Just be carefull if you have after market wiring under the dash area. It's easy to get it caught in the colume bracket when buttoning everything up.
Other than that, it'll go good. Just take your time
Old 11-23-2011, 11:03 PM

Those HVAC lines at the evaporator didn't want to come loose for me. I thought the tool for disconnecting the AC lines was just not sinking down far enough to release the connector. The tool was working fine just had to really tug on the lines to get them apart.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:09 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Dragging up an old (kind of) thread. Have to add that there are several great write ups! My recirc door just gave out at 104k miles Call my dealer and the price for the new box (P/N 68004226AB) is now $52 and they have it in stock. I know what my next project will be very soon
Old 04-26-2012, 09:43 AM

as I said in a thread I just started "its an old thread but I have two old trucks - 2003." Both of the trucks need this fixed...pathetic.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:34 AM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

rockcrawler304.....save yourself the pain and agony.....get the HeaterTreater doors or you will be doing this job again. I'm quite a firm believer in Doing It Right The First Time!!!!
Old 05-19-2012, 01:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK after reading threw this thread I am not sure if I have a recirc dore problem or blend dore or what. Today (hotest day of the year) I had my truck ideling with the AC on and when I opened the dore to get in I heard a loud thud come from the dash and the air flow dropped to almost none. I tried to change where it was coming out at and it would come out on the flore and the dash no matter where I put it unless I put it on defrost. On defrost it would come out on top only but all other settings it comes out on the flore as well as the dash. I never have felt that the trucks AC was worth a crap but now there is almost no airflow at all so I have to fix it. I have 126,000 miles on it so I am doing better than most. I have a Larramie with teh infinity stereo. Can I get at the fan and remove the dore that way to get more air flow for now or do I have to remove the entire dash to get at it? Rattle Rattle said in one of his earlier posts that on trucks with the infinity speakers you have to remove the entire dash. I cant for the life of me figure out how the stero can have any efect on the blower fan but I havent had time to go look yet either. I guess anything is posible. Shortly after buying th truck I had a AC presure sensor go bad and cause the electronic transfer case to go into 4wd no matter where I put the selector ****. You shoulda seen my face when the dealer tried explaining to me that the AC was causing the truck to put itself into 4wd.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:37 AM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by bkrukow
Can I get at the fan and remove the dore that way to get more air flow for now or do I have to remove the entire dash to get at it?
It sounds like you do have multiple door issues, but you can fix the lack of flow issue by going under the dash on the passenger side and remove the fan. Reach in and grab the Recirc Door and help it make its way out. Put the fan back in. This might take you 5 min if you don't have to search for tools.

Later, when you have time/money, look at replacing all the doors with HeaterTreater doors.

Stay cool,
Old 05-19-2012, 10:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awsome thanks.

Got it out. Almost couldent get it to twist into the rite position to come out the hole but it finaly gave in and came out.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:11 AM

Great thread.
Just pulled out my busted recirc door on my 2005 Ram,116k MI.
Thanks for all the info.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:01 AM

I'm wondering if I've got door issues... last week it went over 100 here and we noticed that the driver's side was blowing cold but the passengers side was really hot (like outside air temp hot). We scheduled an appointment and now it's cooler out so the difference is not as noticeable. I told the service writer to let me know if this was a door issue... but instead he just went ahead and added freon (without asking me) and said that "it was a little low".

When I asked how the AC charge could impact airflow he was stumped. When I suggested the doors he told me that "opening the dash for that is $1000 to start"...

Huh? I thought I read here about guys who could knock this out fast? Skimming all the pictures though I can see how it could take a while... What is the right shop rate for this? And am I on track that something is messed up in my doors and ducts?

Since I mostly drive alone I'm going to ignore hot passenger side issues, especially since it's only a problem at high outside ambients (for now)
Old 07-13-2012, 09:13 AM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

^^^ From what you have described you are low on freon. And, $1000 to open the dash!!!!! What kind of crack are these dealerships smokin anyways? I will admit, it is a bit time consuming but, really, $1000 time consuming....not hardly.

Quick Reply: The Infamous HVAC Door Issue Strikes