3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

I contacted the Road Safety Division of the Canadian Transportation Board.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 07:40 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Post I contacted the Road Safety Division of the Canadian Transportation Board.

After being in the truck for about an hour I am feeling awful.
Accute fatigue, headache and disoriented.
I am going to the hospital to get checked out.
Its to the point where nobody wants to ride in the truck, including me now.
I contacted a dealer about this and got a return call that they were waiting for DC to come up with a solution.

I sent an email to the Road Safety Division of the government after doing a search on CO poisoning and found a link with an email address.

I'll keep you posted.

Scotty
Old 12-28-2003, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey scotty, get feelin better and keep us posted on the cause...-Steve
Old 12-28-2003, 08:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Scotty once again the consumor is held hostage, the very least they should do is give you a replacement vehicle until they can isolate the problem. You would be held responsable in case of accident and your health is worth more than their stinking junk. Let the dealer owner drive it if he can't help you with the problem see how long it takes him to park it or get it fixed. PK
Old 12-28-2003, 10:20 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Talking I'll be fine

As long as I do not expose myself to that kind of exhaust again.
Even when working in the shop and having a truck idle...never got this bad.
I will get the truck towed to the dealer, start it up with defrost on high and let it idle for a bit...then take the service mgr for a drive...real slow in traffic.

I'll see what comes of my email too.

Thats why I am upset is because someone [maybe even me] could pass out at the wheel. Then what?
I sure hope it doesn't take a major incident for DC to fix this...I know I am not the only one and one is more then enough.

Scotty
Old 12-28-2003, 10:27 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Scotty,

Find someone in "the Patch" nearby that has a gas detector. Most plants have 4 head detectors for CO, O2, LEL and H2S. I found the CO levels even in my 96 with a tail wind to set off the alarm.

At least then you would have some numbers for your email and study..

Wish I was closer...

J-eh
Old 12-28-2003, 10:28 PM

Sounds like you are not getting enough fresh coooooooooool air. You should talk to this guy on the board named Scotty. Oh wait, never mind.
Old 12-28-2003, 10:33 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Originally posted by Lil Dog
Scotty,

Find someone in "the Patch" nearby that has a gas detector. Most plants have 4 head detectors for CO, O2, LEL and H2S. I found the CO levels even in my 96 with a tail wind to set off the alarm.

At least then you would have some numbers for your email and study..

Wish I was closer...

J-eh
If you leave now...
I might just go buy a detector and put it in the truck and see what happens while I am there.
Old 12-28-2003, 10:33 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Originally posted by Nevada
Sounds like you are not getting enough fresh coooooooooool air. You should talk to this guy on the board named Scotty. Oh wait, never mind.
I tried jamming one of them...

Old 12-28-2003, 10:35 PM

Scotty I went through that once with a Transtar that had a leak under the cab. Finally went to a doctor. He explained that carbon monoxide is additive in the system. You get a little every day sort of like arsenic, it builds up on you. It's serious stuff, hope you get it straightened out ok.
Old 12-29-2003, 01:16 PM

I anticipated CO problems when I installed seats in the bed with the canopy, and purchased a battery powered CO detector that we always use. The alarm goes off at 100 ppm and it can also display the ppm level. I've had to carefully apply gasket material around the tailgate, seal up some holes in the bed, make sure that the canopy has flow thru venting, and have also added a tail pipe that points down. The primary problem seems to be two items; the exhaust exits behind the rear wheel instead of behind the bumper, and no gaskets around the tailgate. I'm surprised that more dogs don't get wasted as the initial CO levels were very high. Now they're zero, unless the dog drools on the detector :^), but I'll still have the exhaust modified to exit behind the bumper.

We've used it in the cab and it has always checked out with zero ppm levels.
Old 12-29-2003, 02:27 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Dealer will look at the truck at 7:30 a.m. tomorrow

They are as concerned as I am about this.
Hopefully they are agressive with the fix. I am taking the cowl fix I printed from a link to another site along with me to show whats needed.
If they fix it and its a problem, then its documented.
If I fix it and theres a problem, I created a loophole.
Thats just my take on this.
Old 12-30-2003, 06:20 AM

Originally posted by 1sttruck
I anticipated CO problems when I installed seats in the bed with the canopy, and purchased a battery powered CO detector that we always use. The alarm goes off at 100 ppm and it can also display the ppm level. I've had to carefully apply gasket material around the tailgate, seal up some holes in the bed, make sure that the canopy has flow thru venting, and have also added a tail pipe that points down. The primary problem seems to be two items; the exhaust exits behind the rear wheel instead of behind the bumper, and no gaskets around the tailgate. I'm surprised that more dogs don't get wasted as the initial CO levels were very high. Now they're zero, unless the dog drools on the detector :^), but I'll still have the exhaust modified to exit behind the bumper.

Having been involved in EMS for more years than I care to count, I can tell you with utter certainty that carrying passengers in the the bed of your truck with a cap is a recipe for disaster. In one case a guy picked up two kids that were hitchhiking. 50 miles later when he stopped to let them off they were both dead. Carbon monoxide at any level it bad. FWIW.

Casey
Old 12-30-2003, 09:12 AM

Originally posted by 1sttruck

I'd be leery of modifying the exhaust exit behind the bumper if you've got people or dogs in the back of the truck. You want the fumes to exit off to the side of the truck into the airstream, not into the slight vacuum/low pressure area directly behind the truck where it can be pulled back inside the vehicle. I wonder, if you're at 0ppm now, why modify it?

Remember when the Big Three made large station wagons that had the roll down rear windows? Those wagons all had side exhaust while the sedans had rear exhaust. It was for a reason, and not necessarily looks. For liability reasons, the OEM's spend a great deal of money and engineering expense working details like that out.

I know those large dumps straight back look cool and almost everyone does it; but just wanted you to be aware.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:23 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Unhappy Its almost fixed.

Dealer put a 1/4" thick gasket between the plastic at the bottom of the windshield and the metal underneath it, all the way around.
This reduced the smell a lot but its not gone.
The rubber flapper gaskets were intact on my truck.
I think I will tape off the seam where the gasket was installed too.

Scotty
Old 12-30-2003, 11:12 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What did they have to say about the writeup you took them? It seems to make sense to me. I took a close look at my 96 and there is no connection between the engine and the heater inlet area where the S-II goes through unless you drill out the hole.

That whole area should be sealed from the engine compartment.

Quick Reply: I contacted the Road Safety Division of the Canadian Transportation Board.