3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

I contacted the Road Safety Division of the Canadian Transportation Board.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 08:30 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome to the world of Flat Rate. Warranty pays crap, techs are not gonna waste time on warranty. Buddy if you have ever stepped into a dealership than you have been lied to. Safety or not. Ask your owner friend why he doesn't pay his techs hourly? Don't put all the blame on the "back". It starts at the front door. Been there done that. For too long. Good luck.
Old 01-04-2004, 10:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face

Wow that bites Scott, I haven't checked back here lately and didn't realize you were still having real issues with this. I just can't believe how people cut corners so bad and lie about it instead of being honest and doing what is expected of them. This isn't a matter of obligation to meet a customer's need but clearly a safety hazard!

Good luck working out your issues with them on Monday.

Vaughn
Old 01-06-2004, 08:19 AM

Where are the PDF docs for this, I have seen them mentioned but haven't been able to locate them. TIA
Old 01-08-2004, 05:21 PM

DEALER IN BOZEMAN

took my 2003 dodge to the dealer last week for them to check out the smell in the cab, my wife is 5 months preg. and wont ride in it any more, the temps up here have been from 9 to -36 for the past week or so. So i called the dealer today to see if the found a fix, this is what dodge/chysler told Billion dodge" there has been a tsb for the past 6 years on the cummins, the problem is the oil, you have to use dodge oil or other approved oil by dodge" I then asked what other oil is approved (ROTELLA) AND THATS IT. If anyone has documents for the cowl or any other fixes please post so i can take down to dealer next week.
thanks
gonzo86
Old 01-08-2004, 05:27 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Gonzo86, if the problem was the oil, then ALL the Dodge's would be like this. From what I can see only a few have the problem. Mine had a smell for the first little while and then again for a few days after the first oil change. But since then I have never had any smell in the cab no matter what. While the oil may contribute to the problem, I suspect that it is something entirely different.
Old 01-08-2004, 06:48 PM

I agree with what Mexstan said, I had the smell when the truck was new but it finaly went away. It returns a bit after each oil change for a while. I use Esso 0-40 diesel lube and the temperature here has been +9F to -30 F here recently.
Jim O
Old 01-08-2004, 07:09 PM
AlK

GONZO86,
I would buy a battery operated carbon monoxide alarm and mount it in the truck cab.
---
Al
Old 01-08-2004, 09:34 PM

Here....

Let's try the link again....

http://dieselram.com/cgi-bin/ultima...0576;p=1#000000

If that didn't work.....

Blow–By Air Vent Odor Fix
by Dan Rounsevell ©2003
D Rounseve@aol.com

Download 310KB pdf file (has pictures) http://www.rounsevell.com/blowby.pdf

Text version:

I also have fumes in the cab and with an oil change and break-in miles it seemed to decrease.

I also extended the crankcase "blow-by-tube" but was not satisfied.

I then sealed off the seam around the outside hood cowl and fenders with electrical tape to make sure fumes from engine compartment were not going past the rubber seal out and down the top of the cowl fresh air intake.

With truck running at idle and fan switch on low/outside air I had my wife sit in cab. I sprayed a bathroom air freshener into the radiator grill area for about a second. Within about 2 seconds she got the scent in through the vents.

This confirmed that the cowl air box had a leak to the engine compartment.

I then removed wiper blades and plastic cowl cover. At the lowest part of the cowl/air box sides are oval shaped cutouts to let water out of box.

One side had a rubber flapper to let water out but seal stuff from entering. The other side was missing. (If it were a deck on a boat it would be called a scupper hole).

Also above and forward of the “Scupper Holes” were cutouts that allows air from engine compartment to pass directly into the air box.

I sealed the holes with aluminum high temp duct tape and cutout plastic coffee can lids. I left a small gap for water to drain and sealed around cowl plastic/metal seam with the tape.

I repeated the air freshener test and wife gave it the thumbs up!

--------------------
Dan Rounsevell
Old 01-08-2004, 10:02 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I fixed my cowl that way and its working fine now.
I never got a reply from Transport Canada and the dealer said "Gee, we thought we had it fixed. What should we do?'
I decided to quit wasting time there and carry on.
Old 01-08-2004, 10:34 PM

ANOTHER satisfied customer.......DC just bends over backwards to take care of their valued customers
Old 01-08-2004, 10:52 PM

has anyone check to see if there are actual parts to fill these holes that were possibly left off during assembly?
Old 01-08-2004, 11:47 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Originally posted by DF5152
has anyone check to see if there are actual parts to fill these holes that were possibly left off during assembly?
there are flapper valves for the far left and far right holes in the cowl...mine had none. I'll try and get a part number and maybe the dealer will order them in for me.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:10 PM

Well glad you got to the bottom of this Scott! Now hopefully you can go out and enjoy your truck without passing out from the fumes.

Vaughn
Old 01-12-2004, 07:29 AM

Dan thanks, the first link didn't work but the second worked fine. Downloaded and printed. Thanks again. Wonder if Ford Sales started mentioning the fumes how long it would take DC to get out a formal fix? "Miss So and So you don't want your husband to buy a truck that could harm the little ones do you?" Computer firms are the same way, we don't fix until the competitors start using a major flaw against us. We could have been bitchn for a year but when sales complains it's hurting business, well. Then it comes down like the Hand of God, get this fixed!!! Why didn't you fix this before???? Blah Blah Blah Money talks.
Old 01-13-2004, 06:48 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Post Update

The dealer has the pdf file and Transport Canada's Senior investigator emailed me asking for my VIN, the dealers phone number and address and wants to talk to me on the phone tomorrow.
The dealer called me twice today and they mentioned more trucks have surfaced. DC rep is there Thurs...I will be too.

Quick Reply: I contacted the Road Safety Division of the Canadian Transportation Board.