3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

I contacted the Road Safety Division of the Canadian Transportation Board.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well.. I got the cowling flappers and put them in... yes they plug in and the bottom half is on the "outside" of the wall..

I think they could use a little help but I may do it later.. ( in the way of help I mean they could use a very thin piece of plastic put on the "back" of the outside part... to give the flap door a little "rigid" feel to it.. ie. keep it straight and give it some strength.... so when it presses againt the wall it may hopefully seal better...) as for spraying air fresher into the grill.. the smell was not there in 2 sec. like before... it was there in maybe 10 sec. so the flaps did help.. *** I DID NOT have the cowling taped so I think in the end it may work, maybe not 100%, but 95% more then it did before....

I think some of the cowling air may be coming in all the way around the side of the cowling... back by the far left and right so when you tape you want to make sure you tape all the way around the sides... the back section is the pain in the rear to make sure it is done right....

well thats it for me... I am to order all 16 of the cab plugs... yes I was told there are 16 of those plugs on the truck.. 6 on each side of the cab... +2 for the other cowling holes and 2 somewhere I don't know yet but will find.... if the first 14 where not there then I don't think the last two will be there.....

As for the bypass hose... I am to "fix" it the right way and put a spin canister, or oil catch can if you call it that on the crankcase bypass valve and route the blowby out the correct way.... I don't like blowby by my back door because I still get it every once in a while and now no one can stand back by my side and talk to me....
Old 10-26-2004, 10:54 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
As it gets colder here the fumes get worse.

I have the breather extended, went through the cowl and sealed a bunch of areas and re checked the exhaust and turbo.

I checked the exhaust and turbo last winter and again this spring and again last week. I am changing the exhaust this week.

Still getting the odor while idling. Called the dealer, going to schedule a day or two next week for this and a rear main seal and power steering pump leak.

I think the leak is deeper in the cowl to the interior. I may look at using some silicone sealant to seal it better when its at the dealer. They have a full go ahead from DC to resolve it.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:45 PM

ckennedy.... I was under the impression the third Gens already have an oil collector/seperator located below the top plastic valve cover. My breather hose (extension) has 14K on it and still looks new save yourself some money and forget the oil catch can that will just create another place for the breather to plug up. Extend the breather and keep it flowing down hill just like a sewer pipe.

Scotty....My guess they are getting worse because there is even left airmovement from the clutch fan as it get colder also diesel likes the heat they all run rougher as it gets colder. You might want to check the door seals and the cab plugs underneath you might be getting the smell from underneath????? GOOD LUCK .....keep us posted on what Dodge does.........
Old 10-26-2004, 07:21 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Truck goes in Tues and Weds.
I asked for an SRT 8 Magnum for a loaner.

Old 11-05-2004, 03:50 PM

Scotty -

any updates on possible leaks ???

thanks...
Old 11-05-2004, 04:25 PM

Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide is a poison. It has no smell, but can kill you without you realising what is happening. Carbon monoxide is the reason why you should not run you car engine (petrol) in a confined space. Diesel engines produce virtually no carbon monoxide, a petrol engine produces enough to kill you. The main remedy to carbon monoxide emissions of petrol engines has been the introduction of catalytic converters, however there are problems with cats:

http://www.stealthtdi.com/Emissions.html

I guess it won't kill you!!
Old 11-05-2004, 04:33 PM

Rick - just for the record I am really just wanting to stop the smell, any smell, all smell, diesel oil burn off, etc.. don't really care if it isn't Carbon monoxide..... I know the basics between GAS and DIesel....
Old 11-05-2004, 06:17 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Originally posted by ckennedy
Scotty -

any updates on possible leaks ???

thanks...
Dealer ordered the missing flaps, new clips for the cowl and we are planning on sealing it as much as possible next week.
Old 11-05-2004, 07:41 PM

All the photos disapeared ......????.....Whats going on???????..... a Photograph is worth a thousand words and I type slooooww.

I am glad you can get the flapper now I will have to install one next summer