3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

I contacted the Road Safety Division of the Canadian Transportation Board.

Old 12-30-2003, 11:34 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
They've had a few trucks with different parts missing in the cowl area.
Those flapper gaskets, the cowl gasket like mine and some did not have any of this.

I'll just tend to it as the article stated.
They like the idea and said if I was missing the flappers inside, duct tape would be the temporary cure til they got new flappers in.

Intresting point that you make J...the SII on the 2nd gens has never had a problem like this even with the 4/5" hole in the cowl. However, the 3rd gens has some flaws in this cowl area and the leak of exhaust.

You know the old story..."If you want it done right do it yourself."
The dealer was great and it did help.
I simply want that sealed off better.
At least now its on record for this problem with this truck.

Scotty
Old 12-30-2003, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Duct tape you say????

I better not be seeing this "fix" on the next Red Green show....
Old 12-30-2003, 01:43 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 151 Likes on 117 Posts
Scotty, have a suggestion for you. Years ago on a fairly new vehicle I had a problem that I considered to be a safety problem. After getting nowhere like you, I then wrote the dealer and the manufacturer a letter and stated that in the event of an accident in this vehicle causing my death or incapacitation that I have left instructions that my heirs were to immediately sue the dealer and the manufacturer. Shortly after that my car was repaired to my satisfaction. This was in Canada.
Old 12-30-2003, 03:04 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Originally posted by Dr. Evil
Duct tape you say????

I better not be seeing this "fix" on the next Red Green show....
EH!
Old 12-30-2003, 03:09 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Originally posted by Mexstan
Scotty, have a suggestion for you. Years ago on a fairly new vehicle I had a problem that I considered to be a safety problem. After getting nowhere like you, I then wrote the dealer and the manufacturer a letter and stated that in the event of an accident in this vehicle causing my death or incapacitation that I have left instructions that my heirs were to immediately sue the dealer and the manufacturer. Shortly after that my car was repaired to my satisfaction. This was in Canada.
I feel that it is not that point yet and resistance or insisting like this would not be a good thing to resolve this currently.
As stated in earlier posts this dealer has had issues with this on other trucks and is awaiting a resolve from DC. I think that due to the timing of this issue that DC folks are probably not in full operation right now. The reek is not anywhere near what it was now. I do not want to wreak [is this a good way to use the word? ] any havoc just yet. Timing is everything and if there is no resolve right after the new year...then I will be 'taking it to the next level'.

Scotty
Old 12-30-2003, 04:59 PM

Scotty, do you have an exhaust brake by any chance?

Casey
Old 12-30-2003, 07:17 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Nope, not yet.

Scotty
Old 12-31-2003, 06:51 AM

Thumbs down My truck too

Scotty,

I've noticed a similar problem on my truck as well. It used to be noticeable only at stop lights, but Sunday driving from Calgary to Medicine Hat I noticed the exhaust smell and experienced burning eyes for the entire trip. I've contacted a couple dealers about this problem and I'm waiting for a response.

Brian
Old 12-31-2003, 10:37 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Re: My truck too

Welcome to the site Brian...theres several of us in Canada...and lots in AB and Sask as well as BC and MB that get together from time to time.
Keep me posted on how you make out with this.
I have had the exhaust on the hwy a few times too.
Last night while driving I got a strong whiff a few times at lights.
This was disappointing.
I'll post more when I progress with this.

Scotty

Originally posted by Smokeman
Scotty,

I've noticed a similar problem on my truck as well. It used to be noticeable only at stop lights, but Sunday driving from Calgary to Medicine Hat I noticed the exhaust smell and experienced burning eyes for the entire trip. I've contacted a couple dealers about this problem and I'm waiting for a response.

Brian
Old 12-31-2003, 11:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
*****I'd be leery of modifying the exhaust exit behind the bumper if you've got people or dogs in the back of the truck. You want the fumes to exit off to the side of the truck into the airstream, not into the slight vacuum/low pressure area directly behind the truck where it can be pulled back inside the vehicle.*****

The factory setup allowed exhaust to hit the rear bumber, which was evident due to the exhaust darkening the bumber on the passenger side. The exhaust was evidently then drawn up into the tailgate and holes in the bed. I added a tailpipe tip, a Magnaflow chrome tip that points to the side instead of straight, and as suggested by the muffler guy pointed it down and then rotated it slightly to the side before welding it in place. The bumber doesn't darken anymore and we seem to have no more CO problems, but I'm always looking for more margin.

I had assumed that the exhaust exited on the side of trucks and larger vehicles for towing reasons, to void getting the towed item dirty, but you bring up a good point about keeping the exhaust out of the draft area. I'll do some more research and maybe some tests before making anymore changes.

The lesson so far is that any vehicle with a tailgate, like an SUV, station wagon, pickup with a canopy, van, etc., has more risk for CO than a sedan. All it takes is a less than optimum exhaust configuration, bad gaskets and such to cause problems. I have a wood burning fireplace and a ventless indoor 'blue flame' propane heater as an emergency heat source, so the battery powered CO detector is used for multiple sources. They're cheap at about $40, considering the downside of not having one.
Old 01-01-2004, 01:32 PM
Top's Younger Twin

The fix from the dealer was appearing to reduce the odor. However, I still get strong fumes again!
I called the dealer yesterday and talked to the Service MGR who told me they have had more then just a few complaints and the fix that DC gave him is the same one they did to my truck and none where successful. He has a mtg with the DC rep on Monday and this is the priority for the meeting. They have the fix I got fromthe link that Lil Dog posted on here and he is going to present that to the DC rep.
The problem is coming from mostly cold climate trucks.
I politely suggested they resolve this next week as its documented now and I need the truck for business.

I never got an email back from transport Canada, I will email them again and again.
I will also contact the local office here on Monday and hopefully take them for a drive to experience this crap.

p.s. I have a doctors appt on Monday as well and I am getting some blood work and tests done since this is something that accumulates in the system. I will have medical documentation then.
Old 01-04-2004, 10:43 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Thumbs down Is this typical?

I took the cowl apart since I still had the exhaust leak.
The tech told me he removed the cowl and the flapper type covers were all there. He lied!
There are no covers in the cowl!
There was a piece of aluminum tape with the heavy adhesive stuff on it like windshield sealer over one of the fresh air holes...the passenger one. Not even close to where it should be.
All the holes to the engine area where wide open!
In addition, when I removed the cowl, their so called fix was 1/4" foam tape which was 'pushed' in under the front edge of the cowl that meets the steel in 3 and 4 inch pieces! They never even removed the top of the cowl!

I removed that aluminum tape and cut it into pieces to seal the holes to the engine bay and left two very small openings for drainage.

This kind of stuff really gets me upset. I was lied to about a serious issue and I am now going to be less then amiable for the next round.

DC regional office is getting a call in the morning, so is Transport Canada and the dealer.

I feel that this is not bashing a dealer when I say this...

If I am lied to and pacified about a potentially dangerous and possible fatal problem if not resolved...I will do my very best to see to it that the liar is held repsonsible for their action.

This does not add any kind of credibility to this dealership or DC.

I'm p****d now. I took the correct steps to resolve and got jerked around. Its time to play hardball.
Old 01-04-2004, 11:32 AM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Are there holes in the back of the cab (much like the ford) for vents? Maybe a guy is looking on the wrong end of the cab?? How about a rear slider?

edited to add: I tried to delete this post. I hadn't read scotty's post in it's entirety. However maybe the info could still be helpful...
Old 01-04-2004, 11:33 AM

Scotty, I agree. Your dealer abused your trust in him and for such a serious issue he only gets one chance and he blew it. It would be one thing for him to have told you he tried but they out and out lied. Credibility is gone, probably for good.

Casey
Old 01-04-2004, 12:11 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Theres a couple of holes and some long slots that are leading back to the engine bay. There are two holes that are large on the top of this cowl that are for fresh air intake and they had one of them covered up.

Theres one feed to the cab that I could see in there.

I blocked about 99% of the openings to the engine bay as it also needs to have a place to drain any moisture.

We were working on a project for several hours yesterday and just for the heck of it I decided to have a look in the cowl to double check what the tech said. Sure glad I did. I think that he may have figured I would not be doing that.
I was slightly suspicious of how fast they got in there and had it 'fixed'. Nevertheless, I trusted their word.
Not no more.

The owner and sales MGR are friends of mine for over 20 yrs.

I will speak with them in the morning too. I think this approach will definately have some quick action in the back. All I have to do is lay out the situation and show them the PDF I have of the fix from folks on the net and the pic of one of them flapper covers.

Scotty

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I contacted the Road Safety Division of the Canadian Transportation Board.