3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

How to: Block heater cord install

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 10:17 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
$10.00 at Cummins Northeast. From my personal experiences, all diesel block heaters will take the same cord.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just looked under my truck and found the plastic cap. Unscrewed it and put it back.
Will be getting my cord tomorrow.
What a great place.Thanks for the pics. and info.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:37 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
glad we could help!
Old 02-06-2010, 12:01 AM

just bought my first diesel. mine doesnt have one . do you think i ineed it? its been cold as hell here the past couple months
Old 02-06-2010, 09:53 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

I do, it helps with start up a lot. I use mine when temps get below 40 overnight... not really needed, but it's a lot faster getting to operating temps.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:27 PM

I want to extend a big thank you to madhat for this thread. I recently bought my very first 3/4 ton truck which just happens to be a 06 Cummins. I live in Alaska but bought the truck near Eugene, OR so it did not come with a block heater.
I did the install today. I must admit I had a bugger of a time trying to remove the air intakes to the turbo so what I did was remove the two sections from the back of the air cleaner to allow myself room to work. The space afforded me just enough room to install the rubber electrical unit into the connection. From there I went to my back and with the help of a semi-large channel lock I was able to continue threading on the nut to lock the runner boot in place.
I am a Tacoma and Isuzu Trooper guy so this truck is all new to me.
Thanks again for the great pictures and good advice.
BTW I bought my part from Cummins for $17.07.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:19 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

madhat and the other guys have put some pretty informative posts on DTR and have saved me some problems. Where you at in Alaska?
Old 12-09-2010, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Bark
Very The anti seize cant hurt.
Yeah? Just use a little too much and bridge a prong to ground and see if you still agree with that! The alumina powder in anti-seize is CONDUCTIVE! Use sparingly.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:49 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Dodge here in norCal wanted $89 and change for just the part. So we stopped at Tranes Diesel Service in Idaho Falls, ID for one on the way to Big Sky, MT and negative double digit cold.

A BIG shout out to Tranes for getting me on the road for about $55 installed (it was major cold and snowy out and I was grateful they slid us inside their busy shop and installed it for me).

I was glad to have the block heater in MT, but just HOW cold should it get to make it worthwhile to buy the electric power to plug in the truck -- zero, 10, -10 (F)? What say you?

Also, the extension cord I took with me froze so hard that I almost could not plug it onto the heater cord. Are there "soft" extension cords that do better in the winter?
Old 12-15-2010, 09:30 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

That's not too bad installed.

I plugged mine in while I was stationed in SC when it would get below 40*, just because I baby my truck, and I liked the faster heat.

I can't help you on the extension cord. Maybe you should try a heavier gauge...
Old 12-16-2010, 05:53 PM

I had that problem with even heavy industrial extension cords for construction, so I made one of the same wire (#10) and attached an regular outdoor house plug in which I keep inside of a water proof covering. The plug goes in well and I keep it hi and dry with some good polyvinyl that some catarafts are made of.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:30 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by jumper
Also, the extension cord I took with me froze so hard that I almost could not plug it onto the heater cord. Are there "soft" extension cords that do better in the winter?
12/3 so cord is what i use, it's flexible down to at least 20 below. i made it up last year
Old 01-09-2011, 05:16 AM

Nice write-up & pics. Will be very helpful to others.
Good buys on ebay for the cords, got mine there.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:22 PM

Im stationed here in Ft. Sill Oklahoma and this morning we got freezing rain, i was glad i put my dodge inside last night and kicked my lil truck out in the cold, cause my dodge hates the cold. Im going over to the cummins dealer this weekend to pick up a cord. That will give me two projects this weekend, im also installing a set of Recon smoked cab lights. Good write up and pics. Thanks
Old 01-31-2011, 05:45 PM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

I just ordered my cord from Genos. But I don't think it'll beat the big chill coming down on us tomorrow. I've been meaning to do this since fall...but did I? Nooooooo. I'll procrastinate. I don't need it. Not cold enough yet. Well...it's cold enough now.

Installing this outside will hurt

Great photos and write up madhat - thanks!

Quick Reply: How to: Block heater cord install