3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

How to: Block heater cord install

Old 11-21-2008, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by madhat
I bet, in Pee-A...
What in the world are you plugging you truck in for in South Carolina...?
Old 11-21-2008, 09:16 PM

Great job Mark...
Old 11-21-2008, 10:52 PM

Great install description. I would only add that an auto-eject receptacle will prevent the embarassment of dragging an A.C. cord down the road with you when you forget to unplug first.
Kussmaul makes a good one that most of the fire apparatus mfg's install.
Here's a link if you're interested

http://www.kussmaul.com/091-55-20-120.html
Old 11-22-2008, 01:32 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Did mine the same way, about 10-15 bucks with shipping from Cummins. My wife ordered me the marine plug from Geno's so I don't have a cord hanging out.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:29 PM

Great write up and just in time. Earlier today I bought a timer just for the block heater use but still need to install the plug wire on the truck.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:23 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by megacabdad

What in the world are you plugging you truck in for in South Carolina...?
No WTS light... It gets cold here, too!

Originally Posted by justin mcfall
Great job Mark...
Thanks, buddy! You need to update your sig...

Originally Posted by Bob T
Great install description. I would only add that an auto-eject receptacle will prevent the embarassment of dragging an A.C. cord down the road with you when you forget to unplug first.
Kussmaul makes a good one that most of the fire apparatus mfg's install.
Here's a link if you're interested

http://www.kussmaul.com/091-55-20-120.html
Thanks... I've seen those before, and they are a good piece of gear...

Originally Posted by Pirate
Great write up and just in time. Earlier today I bought a timer just for the block heater use but still need to install the plug wire on the truck.
I hope it works on the 6.7...
Old 11-23-2008, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by madhat
Got it from the cummins dealer in North Charleston.
Hey Mad its funny you mention North Charleston because the company I work for has a new plant there right by the airport where we build fuselage sections for the new 787. I had to travel out there a few times to get the new facility up and running. If I am ever out there again we will have to get together so I can see that truck of yours.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:25 AM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Very good post. Mine came with the plug installed but it does not work!! (no slight noise when plugged in and no heat). Now, thanks to your pics, I think its because they didnt get the connection in far enough. The anti seize cant hurt.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:49 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Originally Posted by elirandolph
Hey Mad its funny you mention North Charleston because the company I work for has a new plant there right by the airport where we build fuselage sections for the new 787. I had to travel out there a few times to get the new facility up and running. If I am ever out there again we will have to get together so I can see that truck of yours.
Look me up, man... I'm going to Japan in January, but I'll be back in mid to the end of July.

My truck ain't nothin special...
Originally Posted by Bark
Very good post. Mine came with the plug installed but it does not work!! (no slight noise when plugged in and no heat). Now, thanks to your pics, I think its because they didnt get the connection in far enough. The anti seize cant hurt.

Hope it works out for ya... I was when I was trying to take that plastic cap off, and that dang thing would not come off!! Took me about 20 minutes with some vice grips to get it off...
Old 11-28-2008, 01:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I installed my cord today. I used the Mopar cord, it has a straight connection instead of the angled connection shown in the pictures. It was about the easiest thing I've ever put on my truck.

I took the intake tube off and had to use channel locks to start turning the cap on the heater. After that it came off easily. Putting everything back on was straightforward. The mopar cord has those little pop in tabs that snap in holes on the frame.

I put anti seize on the lock ring and put electrical antioxidant on the electrical connection. I just put a little on the end of a toothpick and stuck it down in the holes.

At first I thought that the mopar one with a straight connector would rub against the intake, it doesnt. My block heaters electrical connections were not nice and level like Madhats and were vertical. In this situation the straight connector made things go in a little easier. The angled one would have been pointed toward the back of the truck with mine.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:56 PM

Thumbs up

Man that was nice with pics and all. I wish all sites were this helpful especially for "klutzes" like me. Thanks guys
Old 12-10-2008, 09:57 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

That's why we're the DTR... thanks...
Old 12-15-2008, 09:29 AM

Thanks for the post!!! Just bought an 04 in Arizona, and it didn't have the cord, so I just assumed it being a southern truck, didn't have a block heater. Did a search and within a couple of minutes learned that all the 5.9's come with the heater, just not all with the cord. Now I know where and how to install it. You guys just saved me alot time and $$$. This site is great.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:18 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Did mine yesterday. Thanks Geno's. We're suppose to have freezing rain tonight so it will be a blessing. I routed my plug up the the center of the front bumper. Seemed to be a tray like shape back there for the cord to lay into niceley. Zip tied it so if it fell it won't drag the road.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:50 AM

Great write up. I installed mine yesterday, not sure if Ill ever need it but who knows...... For what it cost and how much time it took, why not do it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to: Block heater cord install