3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

How to: Block heater cord install

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I took my block heater plug and routed it to the back bumper. Went to West Marine and bought a male water tight receptical and 12 Ft of outside extention cord wire. Cut off the plug and tied the wires together and ran along the frame to the back bumper drilled a hole in the bumper across from the trailer plug. Looks good and great because if I forget to unplug when I pull off plug pots out no damage.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:47 PM

this wa great, just bought a 06 mega cab from florida and went to plug it in the other day and no plug. i was bumming but now i saw this i ran outside and looked under the truck and there it was .YES so now all i need is the new cord. thanks guys. look at some of my other posts . i want to start making mods to the truck for mileage.need some input.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:54 AM

Thanks. Anyone know where the factory tabs go?

This was a great help. I wound up purchasing the factory cord from an ebay dealer (stevewhitemotors) for about $43. I wanted the Mopar tabs on the cord to route it through the factory holes. I also was not sure why the Mopar one was straight and the Cummins one has a 90 bend. After installing the heater cord I think I should have gone with the Cummins (way less expensive), either one would work fine. What I have run into though, is that thanks to the pictures in this thread, finding the mounting holes for the cord was a snap for the most part (thanks a bunch). I still cannot figure out where the holes for the plug end of the cord are supposed to be (factory mounting points) for the fuzzy tabs. I do have the factory tow hooks on my 2012 3500HD. Could they be hidden by the hooks?
Old 02-17-2013, 09:02 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Liecha
This was a great help. I wound up purchasing the factory cord from an ebay dealer (stevewhitemotors) for about $43. I wanted the Mopar tabs on the cord to route it through the factory holes. I also was not sure why the Mopar one was straight and the Cummins one has a 90 bend. After installing the heater cord I think I should have gone with the Cummins (way less expensive), either one would work fine. What I have run into though, is that thanks to the pictures in this thread, finding the mounting holes for the cord was a snap for the most part (thanks a bunch). I still cannot figure out where the holes for the plug end of the cord are supposed to be (factory mounting points) for the fuzzy tabs. I do have the factory tow hooks on my 2012 3500HD. Could they be hidden by the hooks?

Fuzzy tabs?

Run the cord down the frame rail and hang/tie/mount the plug end where you can easily get to it. I used a Marinco plug to splice on the end of the heater cord. I permanent mounted the Marinco to the front bumper for a solid mount.

Small pic but you can see the plug to the left of the license plate
Old 02-17-2013, 09:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The factory mounting holes are located along the frame rail (Inside towards the motor). Those "fuzzy tabs" or retainer clips are placed along the cord so they match existing holes in the frame rail. Run the cord out towards the front of the truck until you run out of the plastic retainer clips. You may find one or two holes next to the headlight assembly /radiator support area.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:53 AM

Your bumper mount looks great

I will eventually put my hookup for the heater in the bumper. I really like the idea of puttin the hookup in the back bumper like others have suggested (maybe one in each?). I like the idea that if you were to drive away forgetting the cord is plugged in, you might just be able to have the cord pop out instead of folowing you down the road.

As the truck in brand new, I do not want to put holes in it yet. I was mostly just looking for the factory anchor points for the Mopar cord for now.

~Mike
Old 02-17-2013, 10:08 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

I will eventually put my hookup for the heater in the bumper. I really like the idea of puttin the hookup in the back bumper like others have suggested (maybe one in each?). I like the idea that if you were to drive away forgetting the cord is plugged in, you might just be able to have the cord pop out instead of folowing you down the road.

As the truck in brand new, I do not want to put holes in it yet. I was mostly just looking for the factory anchor points for the Mopar cord for now.

~Mike

For my setup, I have to back out of the driveway away from the garage, where the orange ext cord is coming from. So, in my case, assuming I'm blind that day as I walk out of the garage, the plug should disconnect from the truck as I back out. Hopefully not pulling the 10' bench the cord is mounted too and wrecking the floor standing drill press next to it

So the fuzzy tabs are the frame clips? I ordered my cord from Geno's and no clips were included. I sourced cord holder push pins from Lowes and popped them into the rail to run the cord. Worked pretty well. You can see the cord along the frame rail in the pic. I did cover with some wire loom just for a little protection.

For the bumper mount, check Geno's. They have one you can mount to the factory bumper. http://www.genosgarage.com/searchprods.asp
Attached Thumbnails How to: Block heater cord install-steering-box-stab.jpg  
Old 02-17-2013, 10:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep! The tabs are the frame clips. If you bought your cord from the dealer or an OEM source,the cord comes equipped with the plastic push ins. I noticed that (generic) cords do not come equipped with them so tie straps would be needed or you would have to purchase some plastic push pins.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:40 AM

the one from geno's is great. I always back out of my parking space so I mounted it in the front, if I forget to unplug it just unplugs itself:

Old 03-14-2013, 09:12 PM

I have mine running through a pool motor timer so it comes on about 3:00 am and is warm when I go to work. They draw 750 watts and you may get longer element life not running it so much.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:07 AM

Thanks, pictures are great! I have a 2012 that I just got. It was in MD and dealer transferred to NY for me. I'll look at the plug in the block first to see if a cord exists. If not, I now know what to do. Thanks again.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:41 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Glad this thread is still helpful after a couple of years.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:45 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Originally Posted by madhat
It's a Sony cybershot DSC-W80, and I had the resoultion turned all the way up... 7.2 mega pixels, then I load them on photobucket so I can use the full size pics here.

It's a great camera, and I love it. I got it for 189.99...
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/sony/dsc_w80-review/

I can get them pretty cheap at the exchange.

And... how far things have come in less than five years... I bought a 13.1 the other day for 40 bucks, I think... lol!
Old 11-30-2013, 10:56 PM

Thanks Madhat for the excellent writup with excellent pictures. I have owned 5 different powerstrokes (4-7.3 and 1-6.0) all of which already had the heater and cord (you just had to find the cord usually tucked under the front bumper) - but all had them. Now having my first cummins (a 06-5.9 mega-cab) I have discovered 2 things - 1: I LOVE THE CUMMINS MOTORS 2: No heater cord. Actually I thought I needed a block heater and was about to buy an entire kit off ebay for around 80 bucks. But after doing some research that led me to this thread, you and your pictures showed me exactly where to look and yes heater was there but no cord.

Also thanks to Shorts for the link to Geno's 15 dollar cord - both of you guys just saved me at least 60 bucks!
Old 12-01-2013, 07:49 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Glad we could help out, and welcome to the DTR!

Quick Reply: How to: Block heater cord install