3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Help!!! Attacked By Rust!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help!!! Attacked By Rust!!!!

I was in another part of this forum when someone posted a pic of their mods on an exhaust. Someone mentioned rust and how bad it looked on his drive shaft.

I have a 2005 quad 4x4 purchased in July 05. Mine is rusted to hell and back on the drive shaft, various front axle parts an just more than I would like. I have never had this truck in the salt (until this week) or anything. Is this normal?

I would also like to know what to do about in on a large scale. I mean I just dont have the time, talent, ability to go without the truck for even a day, or tools to just take it apart and paint this stuff.

I also noticed a rust inside my dash on a plate behind a the cup holder!!!
Old 01-07-2006, 08:45 AM

My truck has a few tiny rust spots starting where the chrome plating has been chipped(on the bumper and wheels), a good cleaning and thorough waxing will usually put a halt to little spots like that. The transmission wasn't painted from the factory on my rig, so there's some light surface oxidation on it. I had the truck undercoated at the dealership when I baught it, I now live in an area where the roads are heavily salted and I haven't noticed any rust forming yet. I'd recommend getting your truck undercoated, it can be a bit messy depending on the undercoating material, but it protects the underside of the truck very well.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:06 AM

Vehiles for more then a decade don't need rust proofing.It now is sold lots of places as sound deadening.Rust on things like trannys,driveshafts etc.really are nothing to be concerned over.Its normal.If it bothers you then sand some or steel wool and use black rustoleum etc.Me personaly would not waste the time.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:16 AM

I take it you didnt read all the replies...i posted a reply on there for a paint that completely stops rust and uses it as a primer. Its awsome stuff, its a little time consuming to paint your rusted truck parts, but its well worth it in the end.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:02 AM

Save your effort on stopping rust on drive-line components. The rest of the truck will be long gone before this kind of rust will make a difference. Sheetmetal rust is a different matter tho. There are spray-on rust convertors that is best for this problem. Zince chromate primer is also good stuff. Either can be overcoated with most any kind of paint. Unless you can really remove all the rust (or convert it) I recommend against putting paint on anything.
Old 01-07-2006, 03:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
not to brag-but my truck looks brand new underneath. but i do get it rustproofed with the best product on the market. it orginated out of canada. up there it is called crown.

http://www.carwell.com/
Old 01-08-2006, 12:34 PM

I live right on the US/Canada border and I went to Canada to have the Krown Rustprof protection put on my truck and I am a firm believer in the product now.

It's not a tar like coating like what you used to get from the big name chains. It's more like WD-40. They say it is dripless which isn't really true because for the first couple weeks it continually drips but eventually slows down but even after a year you can see it seeping from various areas of the truck. It has to be recoated once a year but if you plan on keeping your truck for an extended period, I think it is well worth it.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:50 AM

Yes sevir I did read your post on rust stopper. That would be a very tough job to do on the front drive compontes. It is also $147 a gallon. I need a spray on.

From reading here I guess I may paint a few visible things and say #$% the rest..thanks for the answers
Old 01-09-2006, 01:41 PM

Like I said on the other forum that got you to thinking about the rusty driveshaft. Just spray a little oil on it and call it good. I was under mine yesterday changing the fluid in the transfer case and noticed mine is lookin a little ragged under there too. I will be spraying some oil on it myself.

On the other note I see someone posted about the front bumper rust spots. I have those too but have been too lazy to tackle them yet, but soon though.