3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Guys with heated seats please comment!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 01:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guys with heated seats please comment!

I've had 3 vehicles now with heated seats, and I have to say these dodge heated seats are terrible. They take SO LONG to warm up, and they never really get that hot. Other vehicles heat up quickly(even through the seat covers), and quickly need to be turned to LOW in most cases, because they are so warm. My dodge seats take 5-10 mins to really get warm, negating the benefit of them - the engine heat is typically there just after the seat actually heats. I'm just curious if all the other seat heaters are this bad or I have a defective set...?

I drove my grandpa's 2000 MB S430 the other day, started it cold at 37F outside, and the heated seat was warm in about 15 seconds.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It takes about 5 minutes to feel the heat but quite a bit longer for the cab heat to come up to temp.

Depends how cold it is where you're at.

On high mine get nice and toasty and I turn them off once the cab heat is warm.

It's probably better for the leather than they don't blast up to high temp right away.

The seats will last longer.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:56 PM

Mine work great. Get warm within minutes and the high gets too hot after about 5 minutes. High is good for a wet butt after snowmobiling though. Low is just right for extended periods.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:07 PM

My seats heat up pretty quickly but I can say that on low I can hardly tell they are on. I do agree that they should get a bit warmer but oh well. Dan
Old 11-30-2004, 03:17 PM

I don't know if you guys have other vehicles with heated seats or not , but to me, 'minutes to heat up' is just not acceptable, in fact pretty crappy IMO. Yes they warm up a little before the cab heat is fully warm, but not by much. I'm not sure the time it takes to heat the seats would have any effect on the leather. If it did, I highly doubt the bmw, vw, mb, and jaguar heated seats I've used would heat up so fast and hot. My $20k VW TDI's heated seats were awesome, and my $45k truck's are POS's. JMHO. I just wanted to confirm they were all like that or decide I had a defective set. Sounds like they all stink.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I haven't noticed a problem with mine. Usually feels warm within a minute and in about 5 minutes of use I have to switch it from high to low because my back will start to sweat. But it doesn't get quiet as cold here in south Texas compared to up north.

MikeyB
Old 11-30-2004, 06:30 PM

This is my first set, but I like them. They warm up way faster than the engine, besides don't want them too hot. Swamp a$$ is nasty!
Old 11-30-2004, 06:49 PM

No complaints here. I usually switch them to low after only a couple minutes.
My seats are warm long before the vents are blowing warm air.

FB
Old 11-30-2004, 07:19 PM

I'm not sure about your swamp condition there triple but I agree, after a few minutes I turn them down. That's not the point, by that time, the engine heat is already there. The point is when it's 25 degrees in my cab, those things just do not heat up fast enough and I'm freezing for the first minutes of my drive. Never happens in any other car with 'normal' heated seats. My jetta had multiple settings, you could turn it down or up as you liked with a little dial.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:48 PM

Just a comment here from the newbie. I have the leather heated seats and they do take a while to warm up. I've also had a VW with cloth seats and the heaters and they warmed up very quickly. My wife's Passat with leather seats took a lot longer to warm up. Maybe this is a leather vs. cloth thing?
Old 11-30-2004, 08:01 PM
Banned

I have no problems with mine on the o1 and 04.5 the o1 was replaced during warranty but has been fine since. Yes after snowmobiling that seat is my friend what do you ride I have summit revs 800, summit highmark 800, and a snowhawk
Old 11-30-2004, 08:12 PM

Originally posted by Ram_in_Texas
Just a comment here from the newbie. I have the leather heated seats and they do take a while to warm up. I've also had a VW with cloth seats and the heaters and they warmed up very quickly. My wife's Passat with leather seats took a lot longer to warm up. Maybe this is a leather vs. cloth thing?
My Jetta was leather, very fast.
Old 12-01-2004, 07:50 AM
Banned

Them seat heaters a kind of a joke, more like seat warmers. I think you have to have your rear sitting on them before they will start working as I have turned mine on high while I get my rig warming up and they are still cold when I climb in. And then it still takes way to long for them to heat up. It's just these seats, my wifes 04 Jeep GC with leather and heated seats will heat right up, I thought mine didn't work after riding in her rig.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:19 AM

Mine work great. They are warm in just a minute or two and I usually turn them off after 5-10 minutes. I also only use the low setting, the high is just two warm unless the truck has been outside all nite.

I can't hardly use the seat warmers on my wife's Trailblazer. They have 3 settings: hot, burn and scorch. The Dodge work great.

I'm detecting a theme here from the comments. There just seems to be a big inconsistancy on Dodge seats. Some are great, some are ok, and many of them are awful.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My seats heat up pretty quickly but I can say that on low I can hardly tell they are on. I do agree that they should get a bit warmer but oh well.
Yeah. What he said. This is exactly how mine work. Hi is a little too hot and low is a little too low, but they come on pretty fast - much faster than the cab heater.

Neil

Quick Reply: Guys with heated seats please comment!