3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Fuel Level Sending Unit

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 08:29 AM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Level Sending Unit

I'm looking at getting my gauge to work again (after almost 2 years). I had taken it somewhere to have the fuel tank cleaned, and since then I haven't had a fuel gauge that would read less than 3/4 of a tank.
I might be able to fix this one, but I might as well have a replacement one ready to go, how much and where can you find them? I've already looked at Autozone ($206.88) and I'm going to ask at O'Reilly's today. Or even what are alternatives for other types of units and a non-stock fuel level gauge? (and no I'm not going to use the dip stick or flashlight method)
Old 03-11-2009, 08:48 AM

it's an 04 so here's my suggestion. You need to look and make sure it still has the fuel pump on the back of the fuel filter cannister. If it still has that old style pump, or if you have a fass, airdog, or walbro with a drawstraw, go to dynomite diesel and buy this. If you have had the OEM in tank replacement fuel pump conversion thing done by dodge, buy an aftermarket pump and still buy the fuel cannister from dynomite diesel and get rid of that crap dodge try's to pass off as a fuel pump.

http://www.dynomitediesel.com/display_part/371.php

I'll be buying 2 of these in the near future for my trucks, b/c my 03 has that oem conversion pump/sending unit. and I butchered my 04.5 sending unit while I was installing a drawstraw 4 or something that you modify your sending unit for. Good luck.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:20 AM
Chapter President

Running a FASS and it had the LP on the engine. But this still has the float and everything for telling the truck how much fuel it has?
Old 03-11-2009, 09:34 AM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
Now my truck is an 01 so this may or may not transfer. I have used a capacitance type sender with great results. There are others who have also used it with good results as well. However I know of at least one who was not happy with his results. So take this for what it is worth.
See link below for info
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ce+type+sender
Old 03-11-2009, 01:37 PM
Chapter President

OK, for sure not getting it from O'Reilly's $327.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:45 PM

Guys ,what are the symptoms that most of you experiance when your fuel sending unit is failing? On my truck it doesnt matter how much time I spend filling it up ,it now rarely ever goes above the full mark on the gauge,I used to be able to peg the gauge on most fill ups if I took my time filling the last little bit so the tank could vent ,but still on ocasion the day after I fill up the gauge may read higher for a bit and then drop down a bit again to below the full mark.Any ideas?
Old 03-12-2009, 08:55 PM

Just a heads up there is 2 different kind of canisters. one holds down with a snap ring and one has a screw top.

im going to go look at the liberty can in the next couple days and see if it will work with the screw top. the way it looks is that you just have to grind the locating tab off and then the screw top will fit over.

Doing this is cheap and it comes with a new sending unit and float.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You don't need the canister, you only need the sender portion that snaps onto the side of the canister. The intank LP or no intank LP senders work on either one. Should cost you about $80 from the dealer. Look for fuel sending unit.